Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-22-2013, 09:17 PM   #226
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV PW4 PW3 PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
A KF8 with custom font wont work on non K5 without the font hack installed unless you embed it.
Ah, I see. Thanks for the information. I thought it might be due to the corrupt font. That'll save me some head scratching.

Thanks again.
JimmyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:18 PM   #227
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
No renaming does not help. You need to change the metadata. Check out Type Light, that is the freeware version of Type 3.2 font editor with some restrictions - but it is free for personal use. Open font, go to font -> rename font and it takes care of everything, then save and throw on PW. Works great, just tested.
Thanks again for the tip. I am getting close to my dream font. I needed something I can use for books that contain handwritten notes/letters, since plain ol' italics look so cold.
I found mano negra, and combined it with Adobe Caslon Pro. See attachment for result.... I'm getting there....
Added a second screenshot for Constantia, which is a nice font as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	xenfont.png
Views:	417
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	99922   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2013_01_14T20_29_44-0500.png
Views:	370
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	99923  

Last edited by xendula; 01-22-2013 at 11:24 PM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2013, 11:21 PM   #228
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Thanks again for the tip. I am getting close to my dream font. I needed something I can use for books that contain handwritten notes/letters, since plain ol' italics look so cold.
I found mano negra, and combined it with Adobe Caslon Pro. See attachment for result.... I'm getting there....
Have you tried this font? I use it on my website and like it very much. It's cursive but very readable.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:27 PM   #229
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Have you tried this font? I use it on my website and like it very much. It's cursive but very readable.
Ooh, I like!! Funny, on IE 9 I can't see the cursive, but on the iPad I can.

Last edited by xendula; 01-22-2013 at 11:33 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:30 PM   #230
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Ooh, I like!!
Another suggestion if you have a Windows PC is Segoe Script. I would use the bold version and turn into regular.

Can you tell I am a font addict.
Advert
Old 01-22-2013, 11:41 PM   #231
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Ooh, I like!! Funny, on IE 9 I can't see the cursive, but on the iPad I can.
Do you have font overrides set on your browser? It would keep you from seeing it correctly.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:42 PM   #232
xendula
eBookworm

^ Yes, I have that one, and it is nice as well.
New fonts can really spice up ebooks I can see where the addiction comes from.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:45 PM   #233
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Do you have font overrides set on your browser? It would keep you from seeing it correctly.
I'll check next time ...I never use my personal laptop for anything - except transferring fonts and uploading pictures - already shut it down now.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:48 PM   #234
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
^ Yes, I have that one, and it is nice as well.
New fonts can really spice up ebooks I can see where the addiction comes from.
I was addicted way before ebooks. I miss the old days were you go to the store and buy font discs for like $5-$10 a piece. It would have like 2500 to 5000 fonts on it. Now you pay alot more!

I'm no longer in the web design business but I still have my love of fonts.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:57 AM   #235
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
I was addicted way before ebooks. I miss the old days were you go to the store and buy font discs for like $5-$10 a piece. It would have like 2500 to 5000 fonts on it. Now you pay alot more!
You have to pay a lot more for a high-quality professional fonts, but that hasn't changed. You had to pay for specific fonts before.
What has changed is that you do need to buy discs anymore. There is high number of sites available today where you can download all those nice fonts (that were distributed on cheap disks before). I am not talking about piracy.

My personal favorite is the google webfonts project.
http://www.google.com/webfonts

You can even download the entire project - all fonts from a Mercurial server.
http://code.google.com/p/googlefontdirectory/
There is much higher concentration of high quality fonts there than on other sites or on those cheap disks.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:44 AM   #236
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Added a second screenshot for Constantia, which is a nice font as well.
I suggest you get Type Lite and fix the line spacing. That looks awful. The line spacing is huge. I suggest you take all the fonts you plan on using with KF8 and make them the same line spacing. I used 1650/-800 in the Charis SIL Modified.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:43 PM   #237
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
You have to pay a lot more for a high-quality professional fonts, but that hasn't changed. You had to pay for specific fonts before.
What has changed is that you do need to buy discs anymore. There is high number of sites available today where you can download all those nice fonts (that were distributed on cheap disks before). I am not talking about piracy.
Those cheap disks I am talking about came with professional fonts by Linotype, Adobe, Monotype...etc. They use to put out these font collection disks that had license you could use them commercially in logos, flyers, web design....etc It was years ago though. It was the days when clip art was also on discs. When Windows ME was the next greatest thing suppose to come out.

There are some nice Google Fonts but alot of them need work. Missing characters sets, missing families.... So if you going to use them on a Kindle look at the Character map first so you don't end with alot of boxes.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:44 PM   #238
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I suggest you get Type Lite and fix the line spacing. That looks awful. The line spacing is huge. I suggest you take all the fonts you plan on using with KF8 and make them the same line spacing. I used 1650/-800 in the Charis SIL Modified.
I think she has the line spacing settings set to large from the looks of it. As you know there is 3 settings on a Kindle for that. I use the middle.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:07 PM   #239
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Those cheap disks I am talking about came with professional fonts by Linotype, Adobe, Monotype...etc. They use to put out these font collection disks that had license you could use them commercially in logos, flyers, web design....etc
Are you sure those disks were legit?
I do remember getting DC with fonts and clipart with my Corel Draw licence.
At the time I wasn't able to judge the quality of fonts. The vast majority of fonts did not support accented characters for my language though.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:19 PM   #240
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I think she has the line spacing settings set to large from the looks of it. As you know there is 3 settings on a Kindle for that. I use the middle.
(IMHO) I find that too large a line space. To each his/her own.

Next week, I'll be working on the Compressed version of Charis SIL and releasing that as well. I'm going to put both sets together in one RAR with a readme describing them.

Then I'll go through MR and find any messages with my Mediafire links and I'll replace them with the link for the new (and hopefully final) RAR.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote