Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-04-2010, 05:25 PM   #1
OakIris
Addict
OakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi; Kindle Paperwhite
Book light for use with Oberon cover and K3??

I know that many people here swear by the Kindle lighted cover and love the convenience of having a good, leather cover with an integrated light, but the Oberon cover is the one for me. I will probably be ordering one this week along with a Kindle 3.

I'm not all that sure I will be reading in low-light conditions - I only read "real" books when there is good lighting available, after all (this will be my first eReader) - but just in case, I would like to know what the options are. Of course, the light has to be elegant and beautiful to match the case.

Does anyone use a good book light with their Oberon case? If so, please let me (and others who may be interested) know what your recommendation is.

Holly
OakIris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:42 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by OakIris View Post
I know that many people here swear by the Kindle lighted cover and love the convenience of having a good, leather cover with an integrated light, but the Oberon cover is the one for me. I will probably be ordering one this week along with a Kindle 3.

I'm not all that sure I will be reading in low-light conditions - I only read "real" books when there is good lighting available, after all (this will be my first eReader) - but just in case, I would like to know what the options are. Of course, the light has to be elegant and beautiful to match the case.

Does anyone use a good book light with their Oberon case? If so, please let me (and others who may be interested) know what your recommendation is.

Holly
I think you meant "paper books"....right?

and.......the mighty flex II is a great little light....
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2010, 07:03 PM   #3
OakIris
Addict
OakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
I think you meant "paper books"....right?

and.......the mighty flex II is a great little light....
Yes, I meant paper books - the "real" was in quotations to denote a bit of sarcasm! I know that eBooks are just as real, but you can't fondle them.

The Mighty Flex book light looks pretty nice; will the clip open up wide enough to fit over the Kindle and cover?

Holly
Old 10-04-2010, 08:13 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Yes, I meant paper books - the "real" was in quotations to denote a bit of sarcasm! I know that eBooks are just as real, but you can't fondle them.

The Mighty Flex book light looks pretty nice; will the clip open up wide enough to fit over the Kindle and cover?

Holly
Heres a video on it.........looks like it would fit fine..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjttZUkFs6c
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 08:20 PM   #5
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
The MightyBrite works fine with the Oberon. It's stiff enough to support pretty much any clip-on light, I think.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2010, 08:47 PM   #6
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
I use a Mighty Brite Extra Flex, the original not the 2nd variation, and it works flawlessly.
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:20 PM   #7
OakIris
Addict

Thank you for the video link, desertgrandma. The light definitely seems to evenly illuminate the eReader, and looks bright enough even at its lowest power setting (one LED.)

All of the responders to this thread seem to agree that the Mighty Bright light is the one to get so unless someone comes up with one wrapped in beautifully tooled leather to match the Oberon ( ), I guess this will be the one I will be buying.

Holly
Old 10-05-2010, 02:19 AM   #8
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Thank you for the video link, desertgrandma. The light definitely seems to evenly illuminate the eReader, and looks bright enough even at its lowest power setting (one LED.)

All of the responders to this thread seem to agree that the Mighty Bright light is the one to get so unless someone comes up with one wrapped in beautifully tooled leather to match the Oberon ( ), I guess this will be the one I will be buying.

Holly
Hi OakIris, that's the light I have for my Kindle3 as well. I ran upstairs, it being still a bit dark outside, to photograph the Mighty Bright Xtraflex 2 in action, so to speak.
I also have photographed the Travel Flex from Mighty Bright( not a clip-on): it folds up more nicely (while travelling), but it looks ' cheaper' and doesn't light up as well as the Xtraflex, which I love because of the design; such a cute little light.
Congrats with your upcoming Kindle. You'll love it.

Last edited by desertblues; 02-27-2012 at 01:07 PM.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 03:54 AM   #9
TripletDad
Banned
TripletDad began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Take a look at the Beam N Read Light LED 3 Hands Free Light. It doesn't need to attach to the cover. It's worn around the neck instead. I'm doing a lot more reading since getting my K3. Enlarging the type one notch has made reading more comfortable for me.

TripletDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:42 AM   #10
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Looks nice, how does it work when you're lying on your stomach and reading? Does it have led-lights?
Old 10-05-2010, 11:05 AM   #11
TripletDad
Banned
TripletDad began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
The model I use has 3 LEDs which easily covers a Kindle and 2 pages of a book. There’s also a model with 6 LEDs and a “Classic” model with a filament bulb. I prefer to read on my back or sitting up with the light around my neck. I just tried on my stomach. It worked around my neck but worked better by placing it on the bed in front of me (it’s bottom is about 3.25 x 2.5 inches and very stable) and adjusting the reflector head. Fully lit up my K3. If I laid the K3 flat on the bed, it lit up better by placing the light on the side. I also also discovered stomach reading just isn’t comfortable for me.
TripletDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:17 AM   #12
desertblues
Home for the moment

TripletDad. Thank you for taking the trouble to experiment; so the Beam seems to be multi-functional.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:28 AM   #13
OakIris
Addict

desertblues -Thank you for the attached pictures of the Mighty Bright in use - both seem to give a nice amount of light for reading. Like you, I do prefer the look of the Xtraflex 2 model - and it looks quite nice with your Oberon cover, too.

TripletDad - the Beam N Read light also looks interesting. I don't usually like to have things hanging from my neck, but probably when I get engrossed in a book I wouldn't even notice the slight annoyance.

Holly
Old 10-05-2010, 11:46 AM   #14
WigglePig
%20ErrorParse$$#0fh%20
WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleKB (fixed battery!) and a new Kobo Glo!
Okay, here's the thing. I "get it" that there are nice, bright LED lights.

The problem I have is that my "other half" moans if I read in bed as the bedside lamp or the white book light I have both make a bright white light.

So I am looking for a nice tidy LED book light with red LEDs. I haven't found anything sensible yet, so I may have to make one.

Meh.
WigglePig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 12:02 PM   #15
OakIris
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WigglePig View Post
Okay, here's the thing. I "get it" that there are nice, bright LED lights.

The problem I have is that my "other half" moans if I read in bed as the bedside lamp or the white book light I have both make a bright white light.

So I am looking for a nice tidy LED book light with red LEDs. I haven't found anything sensible yet, so I may have to make one.

Meh.
Maybe one of these??
http://www.readinglight.com/cgi-exec...t_id=8087728.4 -this is a Beam N Read light such as TripletDad recommends - note in description:
Quote:
Another unique feature is the clip on red filter which can be used to soften the light
and help avoid night blindness when switching between lighted and dark conditions
http://www.mightybright.com/Craft_Li...uctDetail.html
(might be a bit awkward since it has two arms - one with white LEDs, one with red)

http://www.travelessentials.com/petz...ook-light.aspx

Holly