Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > OpenInkpot

Notices

Old 01-24-2009, 06:34 AM   #1
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
OpenInkpot for the Cybook?

Hi,

I have a 64MB Cybook, and I have been reading the OpenInkpot IRC logs for the last half a year, hoping to see OI on my Cybook in the near future. In the summer, OI on the Cybook was progressing, and it was nearly working by the end of summer, but then the development stopped. As IRC logs say:

Code:
10:28	Rampant	Too bad the version for cybooks's not ready yet
10:29	Rampant	i sooo looking forward to it
10:29	LunohoD	nobody is working on it
10:29	jekhor_	Rampant, nobody has time or pleasing for it
10:30	Rampant	well, that's not very cheerful	
10:30	jekhor_	*wish	
10:31	Rampant	i've read it part of the next milestone	
10:31	LunohoD	Rampant: we need more cybook developers	
10:31	LunohoD	ondra was our single cybook dev	
10:31	Rampant	gosh, if only i could code
10:32	Rampant	so what you're saying is there will be no version for cybooks
10:32	LunohoD	do you know how to clone people?	
10:32	Rampant	nope, sry	
10:33	Rampant	hell, i should have gone for hanlin, now im stuck with stupid cybook	
10:33	LunohoD	Rampant: if there are no developers - there will be no version
10:33	Rampant	what happened to ondra, if u don't mind me asking
10:33	LunohoD	I don't know, he is jsut disappeared.
10:34	Rampant	:) ppl don't just disappear	
10:35	LunohoD	I think he is busy with his study	
10:36	LunohoD	he doesn't want to be forever student	
10:36	Rampant	how far is he with the cybook port, any idea	
10:38	Rampant	maybe i could help, what is it coded in? c++	
10:38	LunohoD	afaik, you can run OI and bookshelf is working, but the bookreader is not working - keybindings are not adapted for the cybook
10:38	LunohoD	I've got no cybook or any other netronix clone, I cannot test it myself	
10:38	LunohoD	and the overall performance is lousy
So it looks like the OpenInkpot won't be made to work on the Cybook, or, if ever, it will only run on Cybooks with 512MB of memory.

Currently active OI developers would probably be satisfied with seeing it on V3, iLiad and possibly Sony, and overall are much more interested with seeing new programs on it (and more skilled in that area) than with fitting all this code and data into 16MB of Cybook memory.

Is there anything I can do to see OI on Cybook? I can't currently devote enough time to learning specifics of Linux and its kernel programming and behaviour of those particular chips the Cybook has, and electronics needed to take Cybook apart and get to the COM ports needed to program it. I would donate money if that would be likely to cause OI on Cybook development to progress.

I guess I just hope that something changes if I post that short summary here...
Old 01-25-2009, 04:12 AM   #2
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder
dottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystian Galaj View Post
So it looks like the OpenInkpot won't be made to work on the Cybook, or, if ever, it will only run on Cybooks with 512MB of memory.
Stop spreading rumors. Thanks a lot.
Old 01-25-2009, 05:25 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
What IS the current state of OpenInkpot on the CyBook?
Old 01-25-2009, 05:51 AM   #4
lunohod
OpenInkpot developer
lunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toys

Device: N516,V3,PRS505,iLiad,eSlick,E60,K3,K4NT,M90,PB912,KoboMini

It seems to be possible to open a book.
Old 01-25-2009, 05:59 AM   #5
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dottedmag View Post
Stop spreading rumors. Thanks a lot.
Did you notice the words "looks like" ?

That's not a rumor, that's my opinion.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:43 AM   #6
quickhand
Connoisseur
quickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheese

Device: Hanlin V3, Sony prs-505, Hanwang n516
We have not given up on Cybook, but in order for development to happen, we need to have developers with devices.

willing developer+device=progress

Cybook development stalled when our Cybook developer broke his Cybook (I believe). So in order to get Cybook development going again, you have two options:

#1: Find us willing developers who have Cybooks (canvassing the Cybook forums might be a good start)

#2: Donate some money to OpenInkpot for Cybook purchase, and/or encourage others to do the same.

In other words, you can influence the state of development by your efforts and contributions towards the OpenInkpot project, which is not some profit-obsessed behemoth multinational company, but something very much of human scale. In other words, don't despair, do something!
Old 01-25-2009, 10:50 AM   #7
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder
dottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystian Galaj View Post
Did you notice the words "looks like" ?

That's not a rumor, that's my opinion.
"512mb of memory" is a plain nonsense.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:42 AM   #8
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickhand View Post
#2: Donate some money to OpenInkpot for Cybook purchase, and/or encourage others to do the same.
I'm willing to donate if you tell me how
Old 01-25-2009, 11:43 AM   #9
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
I'm willing to donate if you tell me how
See the project homepage. Paypal (or Yandex.Money, for Russian).
Old 01-25-2009, 11:48 AM   #10
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Ok done, a small contribution for the Cybook development
Old 01-25-2009, 02:41 PM   #11
Krystian Galaj
Guru

Quote:
We have not given up on Cybook, but in order for development to happen, we need to have developers with devices.

willing developer+device=progress

Cybook development stalled when our Cybook developer broke his Cybook (I believe). So in order to get Cybook development going again, you have two options:

#1: Find us willing developers who have Cybooks (canvassing the Cybook forums might be a good start)

In other words, you can influence the state of development by your efforts and contributions towards the OpenInkpot project, which is not some profit-obsessed behemoth multinational company, but something very much of human scale. In other words, don't despair, do something!
I think I will donate ... but I thought that currently Jekhor is the only developer knowledgeable in Linux kernel specifics/low level programming - and isn't he working on Sony? If you had lots of Cybooks available now, would it speed up anything?
I don't despair, I just wanted to talk about the matter, as it interests me a lot. Perhaps I hoped someone would read it and think he has some free time and knowledge to help a bit in this area of OI... those kinds of thoughts. I just didn't want to leave it in silence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dottedmag View Post
"512mb of memory" is a plain nonsense.
I don't see how the scenario in which by the time developers have time/devices/will to port OI to yet another device, 64MB Cybooks become rare and thus it's decided to go with the 512MB version "first", as available to test on, and used by majority of users, can be a plain nonsense.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:55 PM   #12
quickhand
Connoisseur
quickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheesequickhand can extract oil from cheese

Device: Hanlin V3, Sony prs-505, Hanwang n516
Ah. I think that there's a bit of confusion between memory and storage. There's 512 meg of storage on the new cybook, but the same amount of memory (I believe). And since the hangup is memory, 512 meg of storage changes nothing. So porting to the 64 meg one and the 512 meg one is the same thing.

As for your question of how having Cybooks on hand could speed up development, an example would be to give it to a developer as an enticement to develop.

As for jekhor being the only knowledgeable one in low level stuff, it is not mostly kernel hacking that is needed at this point, but optimization of our libraries (which is a lot less specialized).

Dottedmag, please correct me if I'm wrong in any of the above.
(I also have a tendency to spout pure nonsense
Old 01-25-2009, 03:02 PM   #13
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
As for jekhor being the only knowledgeable one in low level stuff, it is not mostly kernel hacking that is needed at this point, but optimization of our libraries (which is a lot less specialized).
Do you need a Cybook for that?

Can you optimize and test on the Cybook without open it up and fixing a serial connection?
Old 01-25-2009, 03:58 PM   #14
lunohod
OpenInkpot developer
lunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toys

Device: N516,V3,PRS505,iLiad,eSlick,E60,K3,K4NT,M90,PB912,KoboMini
http://users.openinkpot.org/~ondra/c...k-20081128.zip

please, try it and tell us what's working and what's not.

if page turning doesn't work, put this file on sd card and open it in the bookshelf(the screen will be blank for some time, don't panic):
http://users.openinkpot.org/~ondra/f...oi12_armel.deb

open a regular book then. try to turn the page with Up and Down keys.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:07 PM   #15
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
64 Mbyte and 512 Mbyte Cybook no difference for the project it’s outstanding good news.

The image posted is also a great incentive for us all who are looking into the effort’s done.

Thank you very much once more for your hard work.

Best regards,

PS: any timeline in a (even early beta) solution?