Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-06-2010, 02:23 PM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Digitimes: Asustek to launch 8-inch 64-grayscale e-book reader at below US$599

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20100803PD211.html

Quote:
Asustek Computer will launch an e-book reader with an 8-inch 64-grayscale TFT-LCD screen without backlight for own-brand sale at below US$599 in October 2010, according to the company.
I'm assuming by "below" they mean "way below"
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 02:56 PM   #2
Druid_Elf
Zealot
Druid_Elf will become famous soon enoughDruid_Elf will become famous soon enoughDruid_Elf will become famous soon enoughDruid_Elf will become famous soon enoughDruid_Elf will become famous soon enoughDruid_Elf will become famous soon enough

Device: none
For some reason it resembles the DR 900.
Well let's hope the price won't be 600$ for something that can only do grayscale on an LCD screen.
This better has I7 core and 2 TB of storage for that price
Druid_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2010, 03:12 PM   #3
Trini
Connoisseur
Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs650
At that price I can't see the Asus Eee Tablet selling a lot of units unless it has some majorextra feature that has been added since it was announce at Computex
Trini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 03:14 PM   #4
SaraD
Groupie
SaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with others

Device: Sony 650, Basic Kindle 7th generation
And I thought that Asus was supposed to use a SiPix screen. And compete as a lower cost unit... Hopefully that one, a 6", is still to come.

The article refers to a "an 8-inch 64-grayscale TFT-LCD screen without backlight". I wonder if that is a misprint by someone who wasn't paying much attention since SiPix is (I think) made on coverted LCD production lines, or that is actually what it is. While I want it to be the fomer that may actually compete with e-ink for being easier on the eyes for extended reading, I fear it is the latter due to how precise the description is. It will be interesting when the reviewers start getting units and a real spec sheet from Asus comes out. My previously high hopes for this unit are falling quickly.

I really hope that Nate the Great is on the list for a review unit.
SaraD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 04:12 PM   #5
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraD View Post

The article refers to a "an 8-inch 64-grayscale TFT-LCD screen without backlight". I wonder if that is a misprint by someone who wasn't paying much attention since SiPix is (I think) made on coverted LCD production lines, or that is actually what it is.
I wondered that too. Definitely could be a misprint/Digitimes speculation.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2010, 07:15 AM   #6
jamesd-ie
jamesd-ie began at the beginning.

Device: Archos A70
Asus!

The question is whether it's this one:

or this one:

From their description it sounds like the second one is what they're talking about.

$600/€460 - Too expensive even if it includes VAT/Sales Tax.
Some of the iRex Readers are over €400 but Asus is a huge company (esp. compared to iRex) that should have economies of scale in the manufacturing of the device. Also look where iRex is now -barely alive as a new/reformed company.
It may be offered subsidised with a mobile operator but how many will sign up to a 12 month+ contract just to have 3G and a lower price?

I'm interested in the eee tablet (first pic) myself. This news(if accurate) doesn't look good for the Eee tablet's $199-$299 price tag.

Let's hope digitimes has got it wrong
jamesd-ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 08:02 AM   #7
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
no content support !
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:23 AM   #8
Druid_Elf
Zealot
Druid_Elf will become famous soon enoughDruid_Elf will become famous soon enoughDruid_Elf will become famous soon enoughDruid_Elf will become famous soon enoughDruid_Elf will become famous soon enoughDruid_Elf will become famous soon enough

http://tweakers.net/nieuws/69003/asu...t-lcd-uit.html

It's an article in dutch, confirming the new asus 8 inch reader. The model is not based on e-ink technology but on LCD (which allows for 64 gray scale values).
Response time should be better by using LCD, however the contrast ratio is of less quality then with e-ink devices.

Target price is a whopping 456€ and is scheduled for this october.
Screenshot in the article looks like the DR-900
Druid_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:11 AM   #9
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
I wouldn't put much stock in that DigiTimes "analyst" article or the various people reposting it. It reads like rumor and bad conjecture. Not worth trusting at all.

I will wait for much more credible information before I offer my own conjecture on whatever product might be on the way.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 06:26 AM   #10
jamesd-ie
jamesd-ie began at the beginning.

Device: Archos A70
Asus confirms Eee tablet price will be $300: http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/13/a...nch-eee-table/
The post in the link is mainly about the Eee Pad tablet pc but the bit quoted below shows the price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engadget
Finally, there's the grayscale Eee Tablet e-reader thing, formerly rumored to be under $599 but now priced at a solid $300 and, supposedly, shipping in October. Surely we're mere months away from tablet saturation at this point.
Hope it arrives in Ireland/Europe in October at a reasonable price.

Personally this would be ideal for me but maybe not as good as dedicated reader for those who only want to read on the device.

Last edited by jamesd-ie; 08-14-2010 at 06:31 AM.
jamesd-ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 07:09 AM   #11
librus38
Enthusiast
librus38 began at the beginning.

In fact there were two devices: the e-reader DR-900 (or DR-950 as it was designated early on) featuring touch-screen, SiPix screen; and the Eee tablet an LCD screen that was basically an electronic note-pad device doubling also as a e-reader.
The device now announced is the second (the note-pad / e-reader) the Eee tablet, not the dedicated e-reader (SiPix e-ink screen) DR-900.
Videos of both these different devices can be seen at the internet (and they clearly show there differences).
I hope the dedicated DR-900 is still somewhat alive, but I begin to question that, sadly .
If the dedicated e-reader (DR-900) is still in Asus plans, i hope it is available soon (it would be my first choice for a e-reader).
librus38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 01:15 PM   #12
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, K2i, Nexus 7 32gb, Kobo Mini
It seems odd - ereaders are becoming cheap now and the ipad currently defines the tablet scene and there are $200 low power LCD tablets just around the corner. Who is going to buy this thing?

In fact it would make an interesting "stop the press" news article if someone does!
mike_bike_kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 01:31 PM   #13
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
I don't see the point of an Asus e-reader for markets well served by leading brands unless it brings something special to the table.

I absolutely DO see the point of an Asus tablet (or line of tablets in various sizes) but the pricing has to be right and they need full access to the Android App market. Wifi is the minimum by definition; alignment with some mobile carriers for 3G data would help a lot as well.

Updated: The tablets are on their way, according to my contacts; but still no firm ship date.

Last edited by SensualPoet; 08-15-2010 at 01:46 PM.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote