Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-01-2010, 09:18 PM   #1
monkius
monkius began at the beginning.

Converting to EPUB having issues with page offsets

I have a Sony Reader 505 and I am having an issue with Calibre converting a MOBI file to EPUB. When I convert it, it looks okay, but when I start reading it on the Sony Reader, the top of the page is shifted off of the screen for some reason, so I lose 1 line of text (which made the book confusing until I figured out the issue).

If I convert the MOBI file to LRF, everything looks fine and I can read it, but I am curious what I am doing wrong.

I am using Calibre 0.6.46 and not really fiddling with anything.
- I select the book and that I want to convert it.
- I leave EPUB as the output format.
- On Page Setup I select "Sony Reader" as the Output profile and "Kindle" as the Input profile (original source of the MOBI).
- I hit OK and wait for it to convert.

Is the EPUB output still a work in progress? I noticed several differences in the LRF versus EPUB versions:
- EPUB was shifted somehow, so the first N pixels (first line) were off the screen
- EPUB had little page numbers on the side of the screeen, did not see how to disable their generation
- LRF seemed to convert the graphics better
- LRF handled centering headers and such better

Calibre is great, I am just trying to understand how mature the EPUB output should be on the Sony Reader.

Thanks!
monkius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:40 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
This is most likely caused by some bad html in the MOBI file. LRF is not a html based format so it works around the problem. EPUB is html based, so the bad html carries over
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert