Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-26-2006, 04:42 PM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Libraries offer free audiobook downloads

It may only be for a few select cities, but it's great to hear that certain libraries are allowing members to download audiobooks. Unfortunately, that darn DRM prevents it from being a perfect solution, and limits the devices you can listen on. But maybe it's not too bad for this particular application until something better comes along. The libraries are using a version of Windows Media Audio from Overdrive, Inc which probably means no Linux or Mac support.

Worth a look at your local library if you are in one of the lucky cities like Chicago, New York, Boston, Philadelphia, Portland and Los Angeles.

Via marketingshift.com
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 03:09 PM   #2
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Global, iphone4, ipad
You shouldn't get too excited. I live in New York City and have downloaded ebooks with success from New York Public Library (which I read with Mobipocket reader on my Palm TX), but frankly the audio book setup is useless, because you must listen to the book on your desktop or laptop. The beauty of audiobooks comes, as with ebooks, from their portability and that you can listen to them on a handheld (I am listening to an Audible book these days). That you cannot do with these library books.
radleyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2006, 03:43 PM   #3
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
That's really a shame.

But I would hope that at least Pocket PC users would be able to use them? Can anyone confirm that?

Or maybe with software like the eventual purchased version of TCPMP that is supposed to cost a small amt, and include some additional codecs that require licensing fees. It would be great if that opens it up for mobile users.

Lot's of growing pains because the content providers are so afraid of losing their material. In fact, they're so afraid that they may forego a lot of potential revenue on it by making it so hard to use.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 08:49 PM   #4
strat
strat began at the beginning.

Actually you can listen on your Palm

Actually I've listened to Audiobooks from both NetLibrary and Overdrive through a couple of libraries that I'm a member at, using Pocket Tunes, on my Treo 650. It supports playback of both NetLibrary and Overdrive books (and Napster, Yahoo and Rhapsody music as well).

Most books you can 'take out' for around 25 or so days. Currently I have 1776 out from NetLibrary. One thing, you need to download the CD quality version from NetLibrary to transfer to a portable device like a Palm. And you need to be using Pocket Tunes Deluxe but it also works with the free trial as well. With overdrive you need to use their console but when you transfer to a portable device it opens up Windows Media Player and transfer through it.
strat is offline   Reply With Quote