Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-03-2009, 11:59 PM   #1
InlawBiker
Connoisseur
InlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 1.0
Kindle 1 beginner questions

Well, I had a very close decision between the PRS-505 and Kindle 1 (used) and actually chose the 505. But the fact that I can't find a used one, and the market is now flooded with used Kindles made the decision for me...

So I've located a nice used Kindle 1 at a good price. I still have a few nagging questions though if you don't mind.

- I'll mainly be converting .LIT books with Calibre to read on the Kindle. I understand the Kindle will read MOBI and PRC files. How is the Kindle with reading these converted books? Since this is mainly what I'll be reading it's my most important question.

- How about Mobi files from the library?

- Kindle 1 still has the same Whispernet features as Kindle 2, right?

- Lighting... anybody used a book wedge with the Kindle?

- I've sort of written off PDF format, but if somebody tells me converted PDF docs look good on the Kindle it'd make my day

Thanks!
Greg.
InlawBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:14 AM   #2
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Welcome to MobileRead, Greg! I can't answer all of your questions but I'll do my best with what I do know.

I've never converted .lit so I don't know about that. I know there are lots of folks here that do, so it must be legible. Hopefully they can chime in and let you know if it's easy.

Mobi files work great. You can register your PID (the Kindle's unique hardware identifier) and use igorsk's Kindlefix scripts on them. Then you just copy them via USB to the Kindle. You can also just bust the DRM off of them but we do ask that you don't steal from the library. I do that because I'm just used to un-DRMing books for archive and am too lazy to automate two different processes but I delete the library books when the loan period is over.

Lightwedge. I only have the red night-vision model and it's a bit dim frankly. I use a clip on booklight (the MightyBright LED model). It hooks onto the case and casts a very nice light.

PDF is tricky. I've had some PDFs that were mostly text convert quite well. I've never had one without at least a few visual oddities. Now that the Adobe DRM is cracked, I've checked out my first PDF library book. I converted it with Calibre and the text is just fine but there are little glitches. The page numbers are in the text and little things are off here and there but it's quite reasonable. The Table of Contents works. It's the sort of stuff I could fix but since it's not a permanent book, I'll just tolerate it.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2009, 02:41 AM   #3
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
I've converted several LIT files via Calibre (even managed to find some bugs, since fixed) and they work great. Just as long as they don't have any DRM.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 05:52 PM   #4
InlawBiker
Connoisseur
InlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 1.0
Well, I picked up my Kindle ("K1" - gotta use the lingo), and it's safe to say I'm pleased. I spent some time reading about the vast improvements the K2 offers so I was sort of expecting to find it a bit clunky. Instead I find it elegant and easy to use. The screen refresh is nothing to complain about. The wireless is fast. The old owner even left me some interesting books. And hey, it's four months old and less than half price.

I'll transfer some .LIT files over tonight and see how it performs.

Greg.
InlawBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 05:53 PM   #5
stevenmoy
Zealot
stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
Since you use the Kindle (original edition), when you are reading a book, give Alt + T (by pressing ALT and T at the same time) and pay attention to the footer. Kindle 2 users don't have that! =D
stevenmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2009, 06:10 PM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by InlawBiker View Post
Well, I picked up my Kindle ("K1" - gotta use the lingo), and it's safe to say I'm pleased. I spent some time reading about the vast improvements the K2 offers so I was sort of expecting to find it a bit clunky. Instead I find it elegant and easy to use. The screen refresh is nothing to complain about. The wireless is fast. The old owner even left me some interesting books. And hey, it's four months old and less than half price.

I'll transfer some .LIT files over tonight and see how it performs.

Greg.
I've converted several books from lit to mobi using ConvertLIT and MobiPocket Creator for my K1 (this was before Calibre started supporting mobi and the Kindle). The conversion worked well and I have had no issues reading the converted books.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:20 PM   #7
brn_eyed_girl81
Connoisseur
brn_eyed_girl81 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenmoy View Post
Since you use the Kindle (original edition), when you are reading a book, give Alt + T (by pressing ALT and T at the same time) and pay attention to the footer. Kindle 2 users don't have that! =D
K2 doesn't have Alt-T? That would make me sad. Not that I use it all the time, but I like the wordy-time.
brn_eyed_girl81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:30 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
No, they just press the menu button to get the time.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:33 PM   #9
stevenmoy
Zealot
stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
No, they just press the menu button to get the time.

BOb
Kindle 2 users don't have the elegant clock in words. The Kindle 1 wordy clock is one of the neat easter egg that fits the soul of the device.
stevenmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:35 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Kindle 2 users don't have the elegant clock in words. The Kindle 1 wordy clock is one of the neat easter egg that fits the soul of the device.
Ah.. I actually would prefer if my K1 just used a digital clock display. I am much more used to it.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 02:35 AM   #11
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Actually, if you hit return for search and type in @time, you can get a popup box of the date and time.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote