Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-20-2017, 06:58 AM   #4186
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
A recent review of my credit cards has been quite effective in helping me to resist buying a bunch of $1.99 whispersync audiobooks. I will be strong.
Those two buckses seem benign, but they add up. Amazon deals used to get me like that. Even now, I can see those books of mild interest as they languish in my library unread, when their purchase price would have added up to pricier books I really want but deem too expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Nice. Even if it puts your goals in jeopardy. Kobo seems to have decided I'm only worth 50% coupons lately. Nice, but not compelling enough to get me to buy something I wouldn't otherwise buy.
Well, I haven't tried this coupon yet and the odds are it won't work either!

I don't have a goal per se other than not to buy any books at all, but I always made an exception for 90% coupons. I've decided I can only use them on books I'm reasonably likely to get to this year, even if that's not the best deal. No buying for inventory.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 07:47 AM   #4187
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post

Well, I haven't tried this coupon yet and the odds are it won't work either!
And it didn't!

At least this time, I didn't have high expectations nor did I invest a lot of time deciding on the book.
Advert
Old 02-20-2017, 08:09 AM   #4188
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I've never had a coupon offer from Kobo. Which sounds like it's not much of a loss.

I could do with a nice 75%+ right now, but sadly those old codes in the kobo thread don't seem to have reactivated themselves for me. (I know I have at least one of the 50% codes unused, but that's just not enough of a bargain to make it worthwhile.)
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 11:29 AM   #4189
kansaskyle
Addict
kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & Forma, Kindle Voyage, PW, and Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
I've never had a coupon offer from Kobo. Which sounds like it's not much of a loss.

I could do with a nice 75%+ right now, but sadly those old codes in the kobo thread don't seem to have reactivated themselves for me. (I know I have at least one of the 50% codes unused, but that's just not enough of a bargain to make it worthwhile.)
I've not received an email discount code either (too new of an account I guess), but I did successfully get NXT50READ to work, which netted me a 50% discount on a book!

Another one to try is GRT50BOOKS.
kansaskyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 11:36 AM   #4190
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I've used plenty of codes from the kobo code thread in the bargains forum. In this particular case 50% is not enough to make me buy the book.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2017, 12:39 PM   #4191
kansaskyle
Addict
kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & Forma, Kindle Voyage, PW, and Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
I've used plenty of codes from the kobo code thread in the bargains forum. In this particular case 50% is not enough to make me buy the book.
Yep, that is where I found those two. I should have looked closer at your post count and join date. I thought you might be new since you hadn't received a discount code yet.
kansaskyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 07:17 PM   #4192
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I had a recent 90% off coupon from Kobo and used it to buy Temporary Perfections the fourth Guido Guerrieri mystery by Gianrico Carofiglio, for my wife. It listed ofr $11.99 and I paided $1.20. Now I hope I can find one for the fifth book.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 06:22 PM   #4193
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Kobo's just toying with me now. I got another 90% coupon.
I know it's just another instance of Kobo being Kobo, but this irritates me a bit, although I can see the funny side, too:

As I posted upthread, this coupon, the third 90% coupon I've got this year, also didn't work. But this time, Kobo had the effrontery to send me an email in regard to the book I abandoned in my shopping cart, inviting me to buy it with a 15% coupon.

I don't know what Canadians call this tactic, but the phrase we use south of the border is "bait and switch." And it's illegal.
Old 02-26-2017, 03:19 AM   #4194
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I have decided to try a new tactic. This year I intend to read every book that I buy this year, this year.

In other words, I can only buy a book if I intend to read it really soon. And this applies to freebies too - I may only add a freebie if I intend to read it this year.

Currently I've bought 12 books and added 7 freebies. I have read all of the freebies, and I have only 5 of the 12 books left to read. This might work well.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 10:50 AM   #4195
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I have decided to try a new tactic. This year I intend to read every book that I buy this year, this year.

In other words, I can only buy a book if I intend to read it really soon. And this applies to freebies too - I may only add a freebie if I intend to read it this year.

Currently I've bought 12 books and added 7 freebies. I have read all of the freebies, and I have only 5 of the 12 books left to read. This might work well.
Does this change your approach to decreasing your TBR pile are you just pulling from a different place now?
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 11:03 AM   #4196
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post

This is akin to the policy I'm trying and I agree it has promise. It's as close as I think I can realistically get to buying on demand.

Quote:
I don't have a goal per se other than not to buy any books at all, but I always made an exception for 90% coupons. I've decided I can only use them on books I'm reasonably likely to get to this year, even if that's not the best deal. No buying for inventory.
Typically for me, alas, I followed up my first purchase with a second, which is why I'm always better off not opening the floodgates. The second volume comprises two books, which I'm counting as two for the purposes of my TBR. As I've read eight TBRs, I've had a net reduction of five and I'm hoping to finish my current two in short order. So I've stumbled a bit, but not disastrously.
Old 02-26-2017, 03:26 PM   #4197
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
Does this change your approach to decreasing your TBR pile are you just pulling from a different place now?
It's more aimed at avoiding adding to the TBR. If I remember when contemplating a purchase that I must read it immediately, I think that might reduce my number of purchases.
Old 03-01-2017, 05:12 PM   #4198
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
February results:

3 books read
1 book purchased
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 01:46 AM   #4199
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

I suppose it's time to confess. In February I bought 9 books. A few more than I intended, but I'm actually pleased about all of them - no mistakes this month. But rather a jump up from the three in January.

I'm hoping that March will be more like January than February!
Old 03-04-2017, 11:18 AM   #4200
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

I'm doing well in only buying books that I'm going to read soon. I now only have two unread books bought in 2017, and I hope to reduce that to zero shortly!

And then I can see how many of my 108 unread books from 2008 I can read.... (I went a bit mad in 2008 when the Mobipocket DRM removal script first became available!)