Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-19-2007, 08:44 AM   #166
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaapjan View Post
Mmm. What have I read?
Past two weeks, The Helmsman series from book 1 to 5, Betrayal, The Eneuch heir, The Crimson Sword and book one of Kingmaker, Kingbreaker.
Could you write the author names please? We're curious. And if you could add little comments on your appreciation it would also be helpful. Thanks.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 09:20 AM   #167
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Oh, by the way I am 1/4 into Harry Potter and prisonner of Azkaban
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2007, 11:29 AM   #168
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Finished Wintersmith (liked it a lot, though perhaps not quite as much as A Hatful of Sky, re-read Anne McCaffrey's Dragonsong and Dragonsinger, read a short piece by James Blish titled "Beep" which was pretty good, read Suzette Haden Elgin's The Language Imperative (non-fiction, highly recommended), and now I've started re-reading Garth Nix's Mister Monday. I was going to re-read Katherine Kurtz' original Deryni series, but apparently I don't have ebooks of them (yet).

Oh, and I also read a bunch of journal articles about education research for my grad class. Love my iLiad!
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 11:49 AM   #169
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Amazing neko! I'd have to read all day long to read as much.

Since my last post on this thread, I've read 'Robin' by Steve Jordan, 'Merchanter's Luck', 'Rim Runners', 'Finity's End' and now'Tripoint' on paper from C J Cherryh.
Next, more from Steve Jordan and the Heinlein you suggested.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:17 PM   #170
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Almost finished Harry Potter and the Order of Phoenix.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2007, 01:23 PM   #171
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Currently reading Elizabeth Moon's Serrano Legacy series. Right now I'm on book 4, 'Once a Hero'. It's also the first book I'm reading on my PRS-505.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 01:34 PM   #172
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
'Merchanter's Luck', 'Rim Runners', 'Finity's End' and now'Tripoint' on paper from C J Cherryh.
It helps that I don't watch any tv.

What do you think of those Cherryh books?
Old 10-19-2007, 01:59 PM   #173
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell View Post
I'm reading Failure Is Not an Option
Then you should add Barbree's memoir to your list - Live from Cape Canaveral. I'm over 120 books this year and this will make it to the top 10 even at this late stage.
VillageReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 02:00 PM   #174
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra_lestat View Post
Almost finished Harry Potter and the Order of Phoenix.
Just started this one - #5 in the October Potter-thon. What better time for Wizards & Witches.
VillageReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 02:36 PM   #175
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What I am reading now is Star Trek Worlds of Deep Space Nine Volume 3
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 03:08 PM   #176
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
It helps that I don't watch any tv.

What do you think of those Cherryh books?
Hmmm! Not as much as the Foreigner series. I liked them for different reasons. As usual Crerryh's writing is appealing. 'Finity's End' is the best story. 'Rim Runners' is built up on "fringe characters"/ sickos, not at all appealing and the story takes too long to develop. 'Merchanter's Luck' is good, it has some positivity that is unusual for Crerryh she always has her stories come out of dramatic near catastrophe experiences where the protagonists are in danger of somewhat easyly solvable problems.
Some little things always bother me in all her futurology.
Coffee is important in 300 years, in deep space?
No one ever has communication technology at their disposal and are always at the mercy of something that has to do with not being able to communicate. This point is relative to most science fiction BTW. In my view, if we extrapolate from 40 years ago through today's communication tecnology to a point in 300 years, everybody will be connected instantly to one another. Now this would be a writing challenge. Just try to imagine the influence of that on the psyche of a growing youg soul and the life of anyone for that matter.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:04 PM   #177
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Orson Scott Card looked at the impact of instantaneous communication a little bit, but I agree, I don't know as anyone has really explored this. Partly because we can barely understand what's already happening with the internet, I suppose.

I liked Rimrunners, but I agree that Finity's End is much better. One of the things I really like about FE is the growth of the main character over time. And maybe I particularly relate to the protagonist because my kids are adopted and my older daughter was shuffled around a bit before she came to us. I recognize some of the behaviors Cherryh is writing about, and I think she does a pretty good job portraying them-- and showing how someone could find their way past them.
Old 10-20-2007, 01:18 PM   #178
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

She's very good with the portrayal of characters, then again hers are transpositions of actual characters formed with today's ways of growing. Are those really lasting human traits brought over from eons of existence or will mankind change as evolution bumps up QI and limits nature's influence on man. That's a whole sphere of psychology that would be worth exploring. There are signs of change with city dwellers that have never been out of their ecology. Man in space will have to reinvent himself.
Old 10-20-2007, 03:57 PM   #179
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

I think you're right, but it's tough work to extrapolate this. Some authors have tried, though. John Barnes' Orbital Resonance does some of this, as does Ian M. Banks. I think Cherryh chooses to have characters that we can recognize in new situations, rather than trying to explore how people would change in the new situations. Even in her hani novels, the hani have rather humanish personalities, though her other aliens are more believably non-human.
Old 10-21-2007, 10:12 AM   #180
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Heh, been a while since I posted in this thread...

I've finished Altered Carbon (good, fast read with fun action), AD&D Forgotten Realms: Avatar 01 - Shadowdale (also a super-fast read, magic/fighting/chaos. Fun!), and now I'm into the old Shadowrun series again, starting at #1 Never Deal with a Dragon. I read it a while back, but thought I'd jump back in again. So far an interesting and fun read, though character dev is taking a bit 'o time.
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote