Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-14-2010, 06:06 AM   #61
Pardoz
Which side are you on?
Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2 Int'l
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnFalcon View Post
I do blame Amazon for the horrible, stupid mess that is the TPZ format, though**
While TPZ is definitely a disaster, per the guy who designed the format "The point of Topaz was to prove to an old and established industry that ebooks are beneficial, and provide them an easy means to make it happen so that in the long term, everything will be available as a well-formatted ebook to begin with."

Amazon definitely shares in the blame on this one, but I don't think it's fair to put it all on them.
Pardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 11:21 AM   #62
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Actually, Pan-Macmillan are one of the only - perhaps THE only - mainstream publisher - who sell DRM-free books at their own web site. They are one of the "good guys" of the industry.
In that, yes. In general, I really can't agree with them as a "good guy."
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 11:54 AM   #63
LCF
Wizard
LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hanlin V3 (LBook), GS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
It isn't the movies, per se.........its the celebrity obsessed 'culture' they spawn.

A lot of really good movies "came" from Hollywood.
Ah, now I see what you mean. OK, black point two taken
LCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 07:13 PM   #64
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pardoz View Post
Amazon definitely shares in the blame on this one, but I don't think it's fair to put it all on them.
Sorry, I don't see any the use of the format whatsoever compared to actually doing even a minimal editing job - considering the massive disadvantages it brings. It would of been far better if they had killed it off, and done proper AZW books in its place.

I know at least three separate people who have bought a Kindle and some of the first books they had were TPZ's...and which lead directly to them returning said Kindle.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 08:25 PM   #65
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:

I know at least three separate people who have bought a Kindle and some of the first books they had were TPZ's...and which lead directly to them returning said Kindle.
They returned the kindle instead of just returning the books?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 08:26 PM   #66
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCF View Post
Ah, now I see what you mean. OK, black point two taken
Is that a good thing or a bad thing....?
Old 02-14-2010, 08:31 PM   #67
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Quote:
They returned the kindle instead of just returning the books?
One tried to return the book, was refused (potentially a mistake, but he has no patience whatsoever for these things), and immediately returned the Kindle as a result...the other two checked out how many of the books they wanted were in TPZ format, found it was a high proportion and basically said "stuff that", given the slooow page turn speed and so on.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:33 PM   #68
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
One tried to return the book, was refused (potentially a mistake, but he has no patience whatsoever for these things), and immediately returned the Kindle as a result...the other two checked out how many of the books they wanted were in TPZ format, found it was a high proportion and basically said "stuff that", given the slooow page turn speed and so on.
Absolutey a mistake. They have a 7 day return policy on any book bought.

So........what ereaders did they finally go with?
Old 02-14-2010, 08:40 PM   #69
DawnFalcon
Banned

I believe the first went with a Sony in the end, the second bought an Archos 9 tablet and the third has a Jinke-based reader (not sure which), but doesn't really like the software...he ordered a Nook the other day.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:08 AM   #70
LCF
Wizard
LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hanlin V3 (LBook), GS3
Quote:
Is that a good thing or a bad thing....?
The black points are bad things. I'm just smiling, because I'm a cheerfull person. And becuase i thought about watching Hannah Montana with my little sister and all the screams ahd hysterics I saw in the 10 minutes I bravely endured.
LCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:23 AM   #71
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Actually, Pan-Macmillan are one of the only - perhaps THE only - mainstream publisher - who sell DRM-free books at their own web site. They are one of the "good guys" of the industry.

Charles Stross, no ebooks :-

http://www.panmacmillan.com/authors%...arles%20Stross
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 06:25 AM   #72
ondabeach
Groupie
ondabeach doesn't litterondabeach doesn't litter

Device: HTC touch Diamond, Ipaq 3115
McMillan banned from Amazon you say!

Riiiiight. I guess what you meant to say is that Amazon was left with NO legal alternative but to remove all works from McMillan's stable of authors from sale on their (amazon's) site due to the fact that their contract (Amazon and McMillan's) had expired and they had failed to reach mutually acceptable terms for continuing their business relationship (you know, the one where they make all the profit from selling the fruits of other people's talent and effort.) Had Amazon not pulled those books from sale they would have been in breach of copyright laws at least and probably more.

Just in case you think that I am pro-Amazon or McMillan think again. They both suck big time and well and truly deserve the sh1t they have landed themselves in. I am strictly anti-big business when it comes to eBooks.

In case you are wondering what my point of my rant is..... it's quite simple. Stop giving over so much of you're valuable cerebral activity to idiots in high places and get behind the people like us (www.zuluexpress) and smashwords that are bending over backwards to bring about equity for the only people that matter in this debate.... those that write eBooks... and those that read them.... not the corporate scum that have been and want to continue to syphon all the cream from the industry.

And always remember, people who write and read eBooks are not resources for the eBook industry, we ARE the eBook industry, so let's take it back!
ondabeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 06:54 AM   #73
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by ondabeach View Post

Riiiiight. I guess what you meant to say is that Amazon was left with NO legal alternative but to remove all works from McMillan's stable of authors from sale on their (amazon's) site due to the fact that their contract (Amazon and McMillan's) had expired
From what I remember it had not expired.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 06:59 AM   #74
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by ondabeach View Post

Riiiiight. I guess what you meant to say is that Amazon was left with NO legal alternative but to remove all works from McMillan's stable of authors from sale on their (amazon's) site due to the fact that their contract (Amazon and McMillan's) had expired and they had failed to reach mutually acceptable terms for continuing their business relationship (you know, the one where they make all the profit from selling the fruits of other people's talent and effort.) Had Amazon not pulled those books from sale they would have been in breach of copyright laws at least and probably more.

Just in case you think that I am pro-Amazon or McMillan think again. They both suck big time and well and truly deserve the sh1t they have landed themselves in. I am strictly anti-big business when it comes to eBooks.

In case you are wondering what my point of my rant is..... it's quite simple. Stop giving over so much of you're valuable cerebral activity to idiots in high places and get behind the people like us (www.zuluexpress) and smashwords that are bending over backwards to bring about equity for the only people that matter in this debate.... those that write eBooks... and those that read them.... not the corporate scum that have been and want to continue to syphon all the cream from the industry.

And always remember, people who write and read eBooks are not resources for the eBook industry, we ARE the eBook industry, so let's take it back!

So because the contract had ended Amazon were unable to sell the stocks of physical books they already had in their warehouses or be in breach of copyright?

Thats not true at all is it? Im pretty sure there were no legal reasons as to why Amazon did what they did. how exactly does a breach of copyright occur in this case please?
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 04:48 PM   #75
ondabeach
Groupie
ondabeach doesn't litterondabeach doesn't litter

Device: HTC touch Diamond, Ipaq 3115
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
So because the contract had ended Amazon were unable to sell the stocks of physical books they already had in their warehouses or be in breach of copyright?

Thats not true at all is it? Im pretty sure there were no legal reasons as to why Amazon did what they did. how exactly does a breach of copyright occur in this case please?
Yes, that is what my understanding of the law is in regards to copyrighted material.

If the contract between amazon and mcmillan had expired then amazon would no longer have the legal right to distribute said copyrighted material. Their contract would have had terms and conditions to cover the redundant stock issue in such a situation (if their lawyers had a clue that is).
ondabeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, copyright, price