Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-07-2009, 02:09 AM   #1
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Is it even a good time to be buying an e-reader?

I would love to have an e-reader but they're still so expensive and the technology still seems so archaic (actually perhaps a better term would be "in its infancy"). I'm wondering, as someone who is interested in getting an e-reader, would it be a good idea to just sit back and wait for another 6 months? I'm wondering if what happened with the netbooks will also happen with e-readers. I'm glad I waited and didn't get stuck with a tiny 7 inch monitor with 4GB HD Eee PC and managed to get the 10 inch 80GB Eee 1000H for basically the same price. And that was literally the difference of just a few months.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 02:43 AM   #2
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
I would wait 6 months. There is bound to be a new ereader for the same price with more capability in 6 months.

And I wouldn't buy an ereader in 6 months from now either, there is bound to be a new ereader for the same price with more capability in 6 months after that.

And I wouldn't buy an ereader a year from now, there is bound to be a new ereader for the same price with more capability in 6 months after that.

And I wouldn't buy an ereader 18 months from now, there is bound to be a new ereader for the same price with more capability in 6 months after that.

etc.

Really, if you wait long enough the absolutely perfect ereader will come, that will not be improved upon ever!

Oh, and I bet in 6 months there will be a much better Eee PC. You should have waited.

Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 02:51 AM   #3
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
If you had waited a few more months, you could get a 10" TABLET. Or, a few months after that, perhaps a tablet with a hybrid Pixel Qi screen, or a few months after that....you see that trend. There's always better price & functionality around the corner. It just depends on when you want to use the device.

You can usually sell or give away the older tech., or use it for another purpose. I use the 7" exclusively for traveling (still the lightest!) and for ebook reading in the dark.

That being said in the general case, I also think that eink technology is in its infancy. Page turning in particular seems awkward and perhaps distracting to the reading process - which is the main reason that I purchase an ebook reading device. I know, "you'll get used to it" many people say - but that phrase scares me. Can't imply anything good. The new Epson controller firmware, announced by Astak (and maybe others?) may alleviate this "feature" with faster page turns and reduced flashing. It's a matter of waiting 2-3 months for reviews. Personally, if I wanted an eink device - I'd wait and see what people say about the new Epson controller.
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 03:18 AM   #4
Modern Bear
Modern Bear began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505 & 700
Well you could always check them out in a store that has them on display wherever you live. Watch some of the demonstrations of them on Youtube also. My feeling on it is that if you have the money and a need for one, go for it. Just research it a lot first to find what really fits your needs. If you just like the idea of it but it's not urgent, wait until next year because some nice advances are coming down the pike like more durable readers made with screens that probably won't break so easily like the current ones do if you drop them the wrong way, and maybe color eink screens in 2011.
Modern Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 03:41 AM   #5
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
It is absolutely perfect time to buy one.
It has been for quite a few years.

And since Sony PRS-500 came out almost 3 years ago it is perpetually high time to buy one. I still use my PRS-500 daily and despite the fact it uses the oldest e-ink screen in existence it is more than adequate for reading fiction.

There *are* some models just around the corner. Guess what happens when Kindle DX comes out and that new 5 inch models from Hanlin and Netronix are ready for preorder?
I tell you what happens. Another company will have announced new breakthrough model at that time. Or Bookeen will have announced that the new firmware with Folder support is being made available Real Soon Now (TM)

When you buy a new gadget, you HAVE to accept the fact that your sparkling new toy is obsolete the next day. Otherwise you will never buy computer.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 04:05 AM   #6
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
I would wait 6 months. There is bound to be a new ereader for the same price with more capability in 6 months.

And I wouldn't buy an ereader in 6 months from now either, there is bound to be a new ereader for the same price with more capability in 6 months after that.

And I wouldn't buy an ereader a year from now, there is bound to be a new ereader for the same price with more capability in 6 months after that.

And I wouldn't buy an ereader 18 months from now, there is bound to be a new ereader for the same price with more capability in 6 months after that.

etc.

Really, if you wait long enough the absolutely perfect ereader will come, that will not be improved upon ever!

Oh, and I bet in 6 months there will be a much better Eee PC. You should have waited.

Actually in terms of netbooks that's not true. I bought my netbook about 10 months ago and the technology really hasn't advanced much at all since then. In fact, netbooks are stagnating in my opinion. The difference between my my Asus Eee 1000H and the whatever the heck latest Eee PC or Acer Aspire One is practically negligible. However the difference between the Asus Eee PC 4G Surf and the Eee 1000 is Grand Canyonesque (7" vs 10" screen, 4GB vs 80GB HD, tiny keyboard vs decent sized keyboard, Celeron 700Mhz vs 1.6Ghz Atom).

As you can see there is a big divide there. And if I had bought the original Eee PC I would have been very upset when the new netbooks came out.

I'm just curious as to what stage e-readers are in right now. Are they in the same stage with the netbooks where tons of companys come out with essentially the exact same product with very minor variations, or are we at the stage that netbooks were in 10 months ago where they basically jumped from 1st gen to 2nd gen? If the first situation is true then I don't mind jumping in and buying a reader. However if the second situation is true then I would be perfectly happy to read on my iTouch for another 6 months and see what happens.

What do you guys think?
Old 06-07-2009, 04:11 AM   #7
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modern Bear View Post
Well you could always check them out in a store that has them on display wherever you live.
Unfortunately I'm in Japan I don't think they have an e-readers here because believe me I would love to get my hands on one and see what it is like in real life. That's the biggest thing that keeps me from jumping in right now. However I'll be visiting Canada in July so I may do something then.
Old 06-07-2009, 04:31 AM   #8
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Same here in Greece - no eink readers on display (or even on sale). But I did see a Sony-505 in Germany a couple of weeks ago. Looked nice!

You are right about the 1stgen vs later models of Eee PCs. Being in Greece, I would have had to wait 6-10 months to purchase the Eee 900 model (not-so-great). Now, a year later there are many better choices. But I had the use of the Eee for a year. It's a nice size/weight for a lap ebook reader and at 7" it displays quite nicely. After all is said, I use it more often than the brand new 9" tablet I have.

I'm not trying to justify my purchase (old news), just explain that as stated above, sometimes the best time is "now!" Esp. since prices on current models (that are tested and relatively bug-free) are going down. If a current model meets your needs, you can surely get a good purchase price and mature firmware right now. And sell/buy a newer model later after someone else shakes out the bugs (or perhaps you like being on the "bleeding edge" of technology?)
Old 06-07-2009, 04:33 AM   #9
rgeorg
Guru

I realize that I expressed two totally different views in my 2 posts. And I believe both of them - just goes to show that there are many points of view!
Old 06-07-2009, 04:51 AM   #10
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
It's always the same, if you want to throw away your money, invest in electronic gadgets (be they PC's, laptops, MP3 players, MP4 players, ebook readers, etc).

Problem is, there is always a better one on the horizon...

I'd look at what is around now, and what is around in the next few months. A few new models will be released at the end of the summer. If any of those look to fit your wants (and nothing will fit perfectly, I doubt that is even possible ), go for that. If you're still undecided, just wait another 6 months.

It's what I've been doing these last 6 months... And I finally set my eye on two devices I want to have. Both should come around at the end of the summer...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 05:02 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There will ALWAYS be something better available in 6 months. Carpe Diem. Enjoy reading today. These devices fetch good second-hand prices, so if something better comes out in a year (which it will), then upgrade.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 05:03 AM   #12
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
I would love to have an e-reader but they're still so expensive and the technology still seems so archaic (actually perhaps a better term would be "in its infancy"). I'm wondering, as someone who is interested in getting an e-reader, would it be a good idea to just sit back and wait for another 6 months? I'm wondering if what happened with the netbooks will also happen with e-readers. I'm glad I waited and didn't get stuck with a tiny 7 inch monitor with 4GB HD Eee PC and managed to get the 10 inch 80GB Eee 1000H for basically the same price. And that was literally the difference of just a few months.

Buy one now. I ordered my 505 from the USA and it was delivered to Japan. If you have an ipodtouch... Those are not cheap, so I imagine you can afford to buy an ereader. Depends on your priorities.....I guess
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 06:56 AM   #13
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard

It's not really a matter of being able to afford it. I think most people can afford whatever they want (within reason) if it's high enough on their priority list. I don't really think I can afford a car but I do have the cash to buy a relatively modest one outright if I wanted to badly enough. I suppose e-book readers have an advantage over PC's in that they really don't go obsolete. An e-reader that can display an ePUB now will still be able to do it in 5 years with no change in performance. PC's on the other hand degrade significantly in performance as software changes.

I just don't want to go out and buy a Sony 505 only to find out that in 3 months time they release the brand new Sony 705 with super duper Epson controller speed or something like that
Old 06-07-2009, 07:41 AM   #14
no.guru
Crazy like a
no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350
I agree with Donnageddon. If you wait long enough, in fact, ereaders in general will become obsolete and you can buy the technology that replaces them.

I've had my Sony for about six weeks and I wish I had bought it sooner. In that amount of time, it has become a how-did-I-live-without-it item. Even if they come out with the SuperDuper version tomorrow for less than I paid, I'm better of with mine now.

Last edited by no.guru; 06-07-2009 at 07:44 AM.
no.guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:10 AM   #15
rhari79
Addict
rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: .*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Unfortunately I'm in Japan I don't think they have an e-readers here because believe me I would love to get my hands on one and see what it is like in real life. That's the biggest thing that keeps me from jumping in right now. However I'll be visiting Canada in July so I may do something then.
Hi Canuck_in_Japan,

I've been in Tokyo for a while now. I purchased my iliad while i was here, through Amazon jp. There are as yet no direct or hands-on sellers.

But, here's some info on ereaders available in Japan semi-direct:

Yahoo JP auctions:- Saw a Sony PRS-505 and PRS-500.
Amazon JP:-PRS-505(german), iliad
Expansys JP:-bebook, cybook
Brule.co.jp: Iliad/DR1000S, double price almost.

All their prices are slightly more than the direct or EU/US sellers. I found amazon's iliad to be a little cheaper than IRex's price.

I am not including Fujitsu and Brother(not sure they are for sale) in the list. They are not worth buying for common person yet, IMHO.

Canada though maybe a greener pasture when it comes to ereaders.

Hope this helps

--hari
rhari79 is offline   Reply With Quote