Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-01-2011, 07:56 AM   #1
BookGenie
Banned
BookGenie began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Sony reader, Kindle's Nook reader
Online banner advertisement

How helpful is banner advertisement on a popular site?

I am planning to use online banner ad on Publishersweekly for a week as i am providing services to publishing houses and do not know how much it will help me getting me sales.

Last edited by BookGenie; 02-01-2011 at 08:03 AM.
BookGenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:57 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookGenie View Post
Not at all. In fact, just use Firefox and AdBlockPlus and you may very well never see that banner advert again.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2011, 07:12 PM   #3
nashira
Addict
nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Not at all. In fact, just use Firefox and AdBlockPlus and you may very well never see that banner advert again.
This. I often forget the internet has ads at all.
nashira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:34 PM   #4
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookGenie View Post

I am planning to use online banner ad on Publishersweekly for a week as i am providing services to publishing houses and do not know how much it will help me getting me sales.
This probably varies greatly from site to site, and with each site's users. If I were looking to advertise, I'd ask that site to provide info on click-through rates on its ads, for starters. The ad department should have stats on its own advertising. If not, I wouldn't consider that site unless I knew a bunch of people who'd advertised on it successfully.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:18 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashira View Post
This. I often forget the internet has ads at all.
I know there are ads. I see them when I use my wife's iPad to web browse. It just feels so icky to see all those space wasting bandwidth hogging adverts.
Advert
Old 02-02-2011, 02:05 AM   #6
nashira
Addict
nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I know there are ads. I see them when I use my wife's iPad to web browse. It just feels so icky to see all those space wasting bandwidth hogging adverts.
Oooh ipad. That is a downer. Ick. I browse on my ipod, but very rarely. not having my ad blocker sometimes makes me want to cry when I'm on other computers.
nashira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:05 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashira View Post
Oooh ipad. That is a downer. Ick. I browse on my ipod, but very rarely. not having my ad blocker sometimes makes me want to cry when I'm on other computers.
Where I am does not have wifi. So the laptop is wired in. But it's in the office and i'm not. So the iPad is my only choice. MR is not too bad for ads though.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:29 AM   #8
Cyberman tM
Evangelist
Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Inkbook Prime; Icarus Illumina;ImcoV6l;EB600;Kobo
Firefox+AdBlock => no ads anymore.

At least no graphic ads. Best bet, in my opinion, would be a nice text-based ad.
I'd rather click on some text that looks inviting than some flash or graphic that blinks and pulses all the time.
Cyberman tM is offline   Reply With Quote