Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-13-2010, 12:19 AM   #1
ebooker
Banned
ebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: sony prs-650!
sony prs650 ac adapter specifications?

The prsa-ac1 (sometimes listed as prsaac1) is the A/C usb adapter for the sony prs-650.

The micro-usb charging cable fits into it, and it plugs into an AC outlet.

If anyone owns one of these, can you please see if the voltage and current specifications are written on the ac adapter? Could you post those numbers here?

I've not been able to find those numbers on google. I know the specs are probably standard usb specs (5v with 500ma) but i'd like to know what the official Sony adapter says on it.

Thanks!

Last edited by ebooker; 10-13-2010 at 02:22 AM.
ebooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 03:50 PM   #2
etienne66
Groupie
etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle 2, PRS-600 Black, PRS-650 Red, Adam w/ Pixel Qi(pre-ordered)
I have the adapter. It says the following
Quote:
Sony PRSA-AC1
INPUT:100V-240V~
______50/60hz 0.2A
OUTPUT:5V — 1500mA
TYPE:ACC-211UC
Etienne66
etienne66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 04:03 PM   #3
hpjrt
Connoisseur
hpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watch

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by etienne66 View Post

Etienne66

Isn't that pretty standard? I purchased a Fuse brand usb ac power adapter that I use to charge up my Kobo ... and am hoping to use it for Hubby's Sony 650. Should the part of the cord that goes into the adapter is the "standard" size, should I worry too much about the mini end that fits into the reader?
hpjrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 05:19 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpjrt View Post
Isn't that pretty standard? I purchased a Fuse brand usb ac power adapter that I use to charge up my Kobo ... and am hoping to use it for Hubby's Sony 650. Should the part of the cord that goes into the adapter is the "standard" size, should I worry too much about the mini end that fits into the reader?
Well, if it's a mini-USB then it won't fit as the new Sony's use micro-USB.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 05:36 PM   #5
ebooker
Banned
ebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverebooker exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Quote:

Etienne66
etienne, thanks so much, really appreciate it. This should make it easier to find an equivalent on ebay or etc.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:12 PM   #6
hpjrt
Connoisseur
hpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Well, if it's a mini-USB then it won't fit as the new Sony's use micro-USB.
Sorry for the semantics error ... the question, however, still stands relative to the "micro-USB". If I have an adapter that handles the "large" end of the USB cable, then does the size of the other end really matter? Wouldn't all such electronic adapters [those meant for cell phones, ear pieces, etc] also work for the the Sony's "micro-USB" cable?
Old 10-13-2010, 10:48 PM   #7
ebooker
Banned

Quote:
Sorry for the semantics error ... the question, however, still stands relative to the "micro-USB". If I have an adapter that handles the "large" end of the USB cable, then does the size of the other end really matter? Wouldn't all such electronic adapters [those meant for cell phones, ear pieces, etc] also work for the the Sony's "micro-USB" cable?
if i understand what you're saying, i believe you are correct.

you're talking about adapters like this, right? :
http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-AC-Power-Sup...item414bf7203c
into which you will plug in the usb cable you received with your ereader.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:41 AM   #8
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
hpjrt, you're correct,if the adaptor takes standard USB then you can use any suitable cable as required by the device to be charged whether USB-mini, USB-micro...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 05:16 PM   #9
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebooker View Post
if i understand what you're saying, i believe you are correct.

you're talking about adapters like this, right? :
http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-AC-Power-Sup...item414bf7203c
into which you will plug in the usb cable you received with your ereader.
That one only puts out 350 mA. The Sony one puts out 1500 mA. Usually the best you find put out 1000 mA. A generic adapter that puts out 1500 mA might be hard to find.

Maybe 1000 mA is sufficient, maybe not. The Sony PRS-505 could get in a low charge state where a USB charge wouldn't revive it, and you needed to plug in the special (PSP-like) A/C adapter. Maybe the 650 has similar characteristics, and thus the reason Sony's adapter is 1500mA.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 05:57 PM   #10
ebooker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj2me View Post
That one only puts out 350 mA. The Sony one puts out 1500 mA. Usually the best you find put out 1000 mA. A generic adapter that puts out 1500 mA might be hard to find.

Maybe 1000 mA is sufficient, maybe not. The Sony PRS-505 could get in a low charge state where a USB charge wouldn't revive it, and you needed to plug in the special (PSP-like) A/C adapter. Maybe the 650 has similar characteristics, and thus the reason Sony's adapter is 1500mA.
however, that same micro usb cable, which ships with the prs650, is designed to charge the sony with only 500ma (which is the standard output from a laptop). So I'm thinking any ac-usb adapter like the above at 500ma or higher will charge the sony. The 1500ma one may charge it faster, thats all.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:06 AM   #11
hpjrt
Connoisseur

I have no idea what the specs are with the ac adapter I purchased a few months ago. It's brand name is "fuse" ... and I purchased it in the cell phone/electronics area of Walmart. I have used it to charge up my Kobo and it's worked well.

I'm not one to let something run down prior to recharging ... preferring to keep things "topped up". [Heck ... I don't let my car's gas gauge get below 1/4!] So I tend to attach my Kobo to the ac charger at least every other night ... so that by morning, the charge is "full" again.

Hubby's Sony has yet to be put on the charger ... [and he lets his car's gas gauge get to below empty on a regular basis ... far more daring than myself!] ... so I need to know that if my ac charger only charges at a 350 mA [which I'll check out the next time I'm in Walmart] ... will it charge the Sony? Will it damage the Sony?

Thanks

Mary
Old 10-15-2010, 08:45 AM   #12
mwheinz
award-winning bozo
mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
The big difference is that 1500mA is 3 times the normal max for USB power; apparently it's part of the new cell phone charging standard.

So, basically, if your USB adapter was made before 2009, it may not provide enough power for the Sony to charge.
mwheinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:03 AM   #13
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
I have no idea what the specs are with the ac adapter I purchased a few months ago. It's brand name is "fuse" ...
The specs should be on a label on the adapter in very small print.

Quote:
Hubby's Sony has yet to be put on the charger ... [and he lets his car's gas gauge get to below empty on a regular basis ... far more daring than myself!] ... so I need to know that if my ac charger only charges at a 350 mA [which I'll check out the next time I'm in Walmart] ... will it charge the Sony? Will it damage the Sony?
You can try. If it doesn't supply enough current, you probably won't hurt the Sony. Voltage regulation will reduce the voltage when the current draw is beyond what the adapter can provide, like what you see when you try 1.2V rechargeable batteries in a device that *requires* 1.5V non-rechargeable alkaline batteries.

As I said in a post above, the Sony PRS-505 could be charged by the computer-connected USB's 500 mA in most states of discharge. But not when the 505 was in a very low discharge state. In those cases, we had to use the Sony (or PSP) barrel-connector A/C adapter that provided about 2 A (2000 mA). Sounds like your husband will test this on his Sony.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 04:00 PM   #14
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:

Sony PRSA-AC1
INPUT:100V-240V~
______50/60hz 0.2A
OUTPUT:5V — 1500mA
TYPE:ACC-211UC
Hmm. Does it mean that the one I have at home won't work?
Quote:
Input: 100-240V
50-60 Hz, 013A
Output: 5.15V, 1A
1A is only 1000mA vs. Sony's OUTPUT:5V — 1500mA
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 04:51 PM   #15
ebooker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Hmm. Does it mean that the one I have at home won't work?

1A is only 1000mA vs. Sony's OUTPUT:5V — 1500mA
anything between 500ma and 1500ma should work. The important thing is the voltage (5v). You do not want to stick a different voltage into it. 5.15v might be close enough though, who knows. Also sometimes these adapters have polarity indications on them, and that will usually be important too (ie, whether the outer shell of the plug is positive or negative). There is usually a drawing right on the ac adapter, of two circles, one inside the other, representing the outer and inner shells of the plug, and there will be a + or - mark next to each, indicating the polarity.

But if all you're doing is getting a usb-ac adapter like the ebay one linked above, polarity should not matter there.