Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-26-2008, 07:07 AM   #1
cpj
cpj began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader Prs-505
Possible to migrate sony reader library?

Hi!
I know that I can add 6 devices to my sony account, but what I really need to know is if I register and begin to set up my reader library on one laptop, can I migrate that library to another at a later stage?

The reader was a gift, and I don't have my laptop with me because I am away for the holidays. I have access to my sisters though. Do you think I can start off on hers and then migrate to my own laptop next week? Or would this be as complicated as migrating itunes from one computer to another?

Thanks
cpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 07:11 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No problem at all - just copy your eBook files from one machine to another.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2008, 07:18 AM   #3
cpj

Awesome - thanks Harry!
Old 12-31-2008, 03:02 PM   #4
RSaunders
Groupie
RSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it isRSaunders knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No problem at all - just copy your eBook files from one machine to another.
There are a lot of ebook files, in a lot of hard to find places. All these references presume you have WinXP and have used the Tools tab > Folder Options > View tab to turn on "Show hidden files and folders".

There is the program itself, with all it's unique identifier certificates, in:
C:\Program Files\Sony\Reader

Then there is the database in:
C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Local Settings\Application Data\Sony Corporation\eBook Library\Database

Then there is the registration/setup stuff in:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Marlin and
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\kinoma

The Database (and all the other XML files with it) are chock-a-block full of filenames. You need all those files too (mostly they are in the areas listed above). If you don't keep exactly the same file structure on the computer they are moving to, you're going to have to start over. You're making a long-term commitment to your sister's computer, unless yours is identical. Not that that's a bad thing, but it's something you are going to need to be careful to copy.
RSaunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 07:40 PM   #5
cpj

Cheers for the detailed info. I managed to get everything from her laptop to mine with no problems, but I'm printing out your info for when my laptop eventually dies as they all unfortunately do!
Advert