Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-03-2013, 07:21 PM   #91
Julius Caesar
Addict
Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I agree....strange way to intro a new device. I want to know real info about the new specs. What is the processor speed?
Amazon never even say anything about the exact CPU speed that comes with PW1. That until someone else actually hacked it or disassembled it that we found out that it was a Freescale i.MX50 800MHz Rev. 1.1.

Last edited by Julius Caesar; 09-03-2013 at 07:46 PM.
Julius Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:48 PM   #92
wynand32
Enthusiast
wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader 505
Funny, but I was just reading on my OG Paperwhite last night, and noting to myself how much I love it. Honestly, didn't have a single thought in my mind about any needed improvements--it's really probably my favorite gadget, in terms of doing precisely what it's designed to do.

Absolutely zero interest in the new Paperwhite.
wynand32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2013, 07:50 PM   #93
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and 3, Scribe
Cnet has posted an article with some further details. The author discusses his hands-on experience, comparing it to the original Paperwhite.
http://reviews.cnet.com/e-book-reade...-35827154.html
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:53 PM   #94
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike4672 View Post
There's a video on YouTube that explains the new Paperwhite in more detail:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa-Mwi_rS1U
Deja vu all over again. Basically just a repeat of the video for the original PW. I did notice they claimed the PW 2 has "62% more pixels than our previous Kindles" which is purposely misleading. The PW 1 has the same number of pixels as the PW 2. But the video being vague might intentionally lead some to think the PW 2 will have even more pixels. BS marketing ploy. I also notice that the PW 2 has the same type of light layer which causes the color and shadow blobs. This is a lackluster hardware upgrade at best. They could have saved money and just updated the firmware and pretended it was a whole new Kindle! PASS!
Old 09-03-2013, 07:55 PM   #95
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Deja vu all over again. Basically just a repeat of the video for the original PW. I did notice they claimed the PW 2 has "62% more pixels than our previous Kindles" which is purposely misleading. The PW 1 has the same number of pixels as the PW 2. But the video being vague might intentionally lead some to think the PW 2 will have even more pixels. BS marketing ploy. I also notice that the PW 2 has the same type of light layer which causes the color and shadow blobs. This is a lackluster hardware upgrade at best. They could have saved money and just updated the firmware and pretended it was a whole new Kindle! PASS!
That is an ad for the old one. Check the date
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2013, 08:06 PM   #96
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
That is an ad for the old one. Check the date
What date? I viewed it twice I still don't see a date anywhere in the video, not to say it isn't there but I sure don't see it if it is. I agree that it does seem like a video made for the PW 1 though.

Last edited by jswinden; 09-03-2013 at 08:15 PM.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:15 PM   #97
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
What date. I viewed it twice I still don't see a date anywhere in the video, not to say it isn't there but I sure don't see it if it is.
It was posted on 6/31/2013 which is a little late to the game for the PW1, but a bit early for the PW2
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:20 PM   #98
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
It was posted on 6/31/2013 which is a little late to the game for the PW1, but a bit early for the PW2
Oh well, they might as well just recycle the old video as the new PW 2 doesn't really have much new outside of FW enhancements. Even Bezos apparently didn't think it was important enough to call a press conference or hold an introduction event. I think Amazon is definitely switching emphasis to tablets and away from eInk readers.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:26 PM   #99
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC View Post
Cnet has posted an article with some further details. The author discusses his hands-on experience, comparing it to the original Paperwhite.
http://reviews.cnet.com/e-book-reade...-35827154.html
Quote:
Compared side-by-side with the original, the old Paperwhite's display does look a little dull and gray.
That makes me at least want to see it. I went ahead and pre-ordered figuring I can always cancel depending on other early reviews (if there are any) or send it back like I did with the first PW.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:48 PM   #100
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
I was hoping on a bigger screen :-(
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:14 PM   #101
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
I'm curious about the lighting and resolution. But not sure if this will justify an upgrade.

I've been satisfied with my PW since I bought it, and I was one of those who pre-order last year .
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:17 PM   #102
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
This article from Time has more info and a hands on

http://techland.time.com/2013/09/03/...ined-e-reader/
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:25 PM   #103
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
This article from Time has more info and a hands on

http://techland.time.com/2013/09/03/...ined-e-reader/
Thanks for the link.

Quote:
The new Paperwhite, however, isn’t a similar radical improvement over its predecessor. Instead, it’s still the Paperwhite — in virtually the same case — only with lots of little improvement. It’s an ultra-refined version of what was already the most refined product in its category.
Quote:
The Paperwhite uses a new version of the E Ink technology, exclusive to Amazon, with 25 percent better contrast.

Since I don't have the original PW (I sent mine back) I'm intrigued to check this one out, although still hoping for some more reviews and maybe some hands on videos.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:30 PM   #104
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
I'm curious about the lighting and resolution. But not sure if this will justify an upgrade.

I've been satisfied with my PW since I bought it, and I was one of those who pre-order last year .
The resolution is the same as on the original PW.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:34 PM   #105
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I don't recall the Kobo Aura having a big sendoff, either. I bought it based on threads here.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote