Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-29-2015, 03:29 AM   #1
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
How to format ebooks?

What do you think about ebooks formatted by the publishers?

I recently bought The Grace of Kings from Google, supposed to be the biggest fantasy debut of the year, but line spacing and typeface were set by the publisher. I couldn't change them.

Of course, I know enought about CSS and thus freed typeface and line spacing of body portion while leaving other parts as is; the book had very good design apart from this problem. Embedded Hoefler Text instead of the faded Palatino the book has. Photos:

http://drop.muratcansimsek.com/IMG_20150429_095521.jpg
http://drop.muratcansimsek.com/IMG_20150429_095532.jpg

I think best kind of ebooks are like the ebook I have on my hands now. Books should be styled beautifully, The Grace of Kings has good design for other parts like title pages, part pages and such too. Poems within the text should have different margins and all that but the paragraph text should be left alone.

What do you think? I hate it when I can't change paragraph's line spacing and typeface but other styling is pretty cool when done well.

Also, The Grace of Kings were almost unreadable without fixes, the font was so faded, the line spacing was so big you could almost fit another line between. I wonder what the publisher actually thought when they published a book this terrible. I know how to fix it, most don't.

PS. I just notices the title, an ebooks. I feel terrible =(
PSS. Thanks for the title =)

Last edited by GERGE; 04-29-2015 at 06:26 AM.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 05:51 AM   #2
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
If I wanted to read someone else's choice of font, size and spacing I'd buy a paperback. I always strip out all that nonsense, and comment on it in any review I might write later.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2015, 06:16 AM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GERGE View Post
PS. I just notices the title, an ebooks. I feel terrible =(
Now fixed for you. Although it seems this thread is not so much about 'how to format ebooks' as 'how should ebooks be formatted?'.

And I agree - it should be possible to over-ride the base paragraph formatting, but front matter, chapter titles, special text should be done well by the publisher.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 07:34 AM   #4
faltradl
Guru
faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch
I guess the most publisher still think ebooks are the same as printed books. So they still whant to rule all aspects of layout. They must learn to loose one's hold on parts of the layout.
faltradl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 08:14 AM   #5
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
I wonder why would one use flash against a backlit surface, not enough light?
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2015, 08:24 AM   #6
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Good devices/apps should be able to override those kind of settings - paragraph spacing, indent, font size, font type, etc. However, the publishers need to put some kind of initial setting for those devices/apps that can't override. Unfortunately what looks good to one person won't look good to all...

Users need to upgrade their device/app to take advantage of the latest features, or learn to edit css!
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 08:27 AM   #7
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
I recently bought The Grace of Kings from Google, supposed to be the biggest fantasy debut of the year, but line spacing and typeface were set by the publisher. I couldn't change them.
Yes, the font was awful in that book. I also changed it immediately, but then I always fix terrible fonts, line spacing, huge paragraph indents etc. in every book I buy.
The biggest problems are with self-published books, though, tradpubs are usually pretty well done.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 10:04 AM   #8
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by faltradl View Post
I guess the most publisher still think ebooks are the same as printed books. So they still whant to rule all aspects of layout. They must learn to loose one's hold on parts of the layout.
It was the same with many websites. For some designers, it still is; they're just digital, clickable posters instead of websites.

The one thing I always wonder about is why so many publishers embed the font Charis SIL into the book. The default version is terrible for use on e-readers (IMHO).
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 10:20 AM   #9
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Interesting. On my Kindle Voyage, the line spacing is just fine, I can change to any of the available fonts (serif and non-serif) and over all a nice read. Could this be a Kobo problem?
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 10:21 AM   #10
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

ePub problem, I read the CSS.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:24 AM   #11
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Personally, I appreciate special fonts for titles and chapters, but readers should be able to select their preferred paragraph font.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 12:06 PM   #12
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
The one thing I always wonder about is why so many publishers embed the font Charis SIL into the book. The default version is terrible for use on e-readers (IMHO).
Perhaps because Charis SIL can be embedded legally for free? I suspect aesthetics have very little to do with it.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 12:13 PM   #13
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
What do you think about ebooks formatted by the publishers?
Completely off topic --- I've discovered another reddit /r/fantasy member. I do like running across folks in different venues.

Carry on...
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 12:14 PM   #14
GERGE
Guru

Libre Baskerville is a better solution if they are searching for gratis typefaces. It is one of the best free typefaces out there.
Old 04-29-2015, 12:32 PM   #15
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Libre Baskerville is a better solution if they are searching for gratis typefaces. It is one of the best free typefaces out there.
I only see 3 of the 4 files, i.e. Regular, Bold and Italic - no BoldItalic. Charis has a full set.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote