Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-17-2012, 12:18 PM   #91
seaniko7
wannabe developer
seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kindle: 2xKeyboard, Classic, 2xTouch, 2xPW, PW2; Onyx: Boox M92
Here's screensaver hack for K4 :
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16679763/upd...0.26.N_k4w.zip

Of course jailbreak is required.

Installation :

- unpack archive
- copy update_ss_0.26.N_k4w_install.bin and data.tar.gz to your Kindle
- update from settings menu
- reboot from settings menu

Cheers
seaniko7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 05:59 AM   #92
hostar
Zealot
hostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle 4 non-touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by xorphex View Post
I tried getting SSH via WIFI to work, but I'm stuck...
I used Belkaar's tutorial in the other thread (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1873256).
That implies of course that I was able to connect via SSH in DIAG-Mode/USBnet (using linux).
Root-password was 'mario', though I'm on 4.0.1 and the python-script gave me 'fiona1def' as password.
Now, when I try to connect via WIFI (in normal-mode) 'mario' doesn't work. Neither does 'fiona1def'. I can, however, connect with username 'framework' and password 'mario', but without root-privileges...

Is there any configurationfile that differentiates between SSH via WIFI and USBnet? Or did I overlook anything?
I know, you alredy solved it , but you can also ssh over wifi with root password like that:
first login as framework:mario
then write "su root"
type fionaXXXX password
now you are logged in as root.
note: when logging out, you must type "exit" twice: first for root, then for framework
hostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2012, 07:43 PM   #93
csglinux
csglinux began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Screensaver time-out?

Hi folks, I'm trying to do something a little different. I don't really mind the screensavers, but I'm frustrated at how quickly the screensaver activates. Ideally, I'd like to have the device time-out with my current page as the screensaver, but I'd settle for just extending the time before the screensaver kicks in? Anybody know how to do this on the Kindle 4 NT?

I thought I'd just edit /etc/powerd.conf, but no such luck. It isn't there on the Kindle 4 NT!
csglinux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:12 PM   #94
xorphex
xorphex began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 nt
Quote:
Originally Posted by csglinux View Post
Hi folks, I'm trying to do something a little different. I don't really mind the screensavers, but I'm frustrated at how quickly the screensaver activates. Ideally, I'd like to have the device time-out with my current page as the screensaver, but I'd settle for just extending the time before the screensaver kicks in? Anybody know how to do this on the Kindle 4 NT?

I thought I'd just edit /etc/powerd.conf, but no such luck. It isn't there on the Kindle 4 NT!
Fiddled a bit and found it (at least to increase the time until the screensaver comes up)

ssh as root, then
Code:
mntroot rw
afterwards
Code:
vi /etc/kdb.src/yoshi/system/daemon/powerd/t1_timeout
the last line indicates the number in seconds before the screensaver comes up
(it's set at 600 - so 10 min)
just change that to a number you prefer, following
Quote:
/etc/init.d/powerd restart
and that should do it
xorphex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 03:48 PM   #95
EightWeight
Enthusiast
EightWeight began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle4, PW
Hey, thanks for finding this. I was trying to figure it out myself!
EightWeight is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2012, 07:15 PM   #96
Phre
Phre can extract oil from cheesePhre can extract oil from cheesePhre can extract oil from cheesePhre can extract oil from cheesePhre can extract oil from cheesePhre can extract oil from cheesePhre can extract oil from cheesePhre can extract oil from cheesePhre can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3 & 4
changing screensaver folder

I like to use the current book cover as my screensaver.
Calibre has a plugin for copying the cover to the jailbroken Kindle 3

On the Kindle 4 NT using the screensaver tutorial.
If I modify the command line below will that change my default screensaver directory to the subdirectory linkss/screensavers (after creating those directories manually) ?

Original = ln -sfn /mnt/us/screensaver /mnt/base-mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800

New = ln -sfn /mnt/us/linkss/screensavers /mnt/base-mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800

If this won't work is there another way to do it?

Thanks
Phre

Last edited by Phre; 01-19-2012 at 07:59 PM. Reason: more details
Phre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:06 PM   #97
csglinux

Quote:
Fiddled a bit and found it (at least to increase the time until the screensaver comes up)

ssh as root, then
Code:
mntroot rw
afterwards
Code:
vi /etc/kdb.src/yoshi/system/daemon/powerd/t1_timeout
the last line indicates the number in seconds before the screensaver comes up
(it's set at 600 - so 10 min)
just change that to a number you prefer, following

and that should do it
Many thanks for the ideas. Unfortunately, this didn't work for me as there is no /etc/kdb.src/yoshi/system/daemon/powerd directory on my K4 :-(

I did find something that looked interesting though. There is a /sys/module/keyboard/parameters/brl_timeout file which is currently set to 300 seconds. However, /sys is mounted as sysfs. Anybody knows where this timeout might live in the device tree?
Old 01-19-2012, 10:01 PM   #98
xorphex

Quote:
Many thanks for the ideas. Unfortunately, this didn't work for me as there is no /etc/kdb.src/yoshi/system/daemon/powerd directory on my K4 :-(

I did find something that looked interesting though. There is a /sys/module/keyboard/parameters/brl_timeout file which is currently set to 300 seconds. However, /sys is mounted as sysfs. Anybody knows where this timeout might live in the device tree?
Hmm, that's odd, because I got a K4, too..
Just checked on another device (abused my girlfriend's one ) and the directory is there as well.

Maybe a typo?
Old 01-19-2012, 10:15 PM   #99
csglinux

Quote:
Hmm, that's odd, because I got a K4, too..
Just checked on another device (abused my girlfriend's one ) and the directory is there as well.

Maybe a typo?
Mine is a Kindle 4, non-touch, special offers version. There's definitely no /etc/kdb.src/yoshi/system/daemon/powerd directory.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:28 PM   #100
xorphex

Well, then I guess it's because of the special offers version...
I'm from Germany and we don't even have this version (but the normal version costs around 130 dollar...)

Did you try

Quote:
find / -name t1_timeout
in the ssh shell?

Last edited by xorphex; 01-19-2012 at 10:48 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:29 AM   #101
EightWeight
Enthusiast
EightWeight began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle4, PW
Quote:
Mine is a Kindle 4, non-touch, special offers version. There's definitely no /etc/kdb.src/yoshi/system/daemon/powerd directory.
I have the same Kindle and the directory DOES exist in mine. Maybe the difference is the software version? I upgraded to 4.0.1.
EightWeight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:45 PM   #102
csglinux

Quote:
Originally Posted by EightWeight View Post
I have the same Kindle and the directory DOES exist in mine. Maybe the difference is the software version? I upgraded to 4.0.1.
I just upgraded from 4.0 to 4.0.1 and the /etc/kdb.src/yoshi/system/daemon directory has only otaup and usbnetd sub-directories; no powerd sub-directory. Somehow my Kindle is still timing-out to screensaver after 10 minutes, but I don't know how. (I was hacking in the daemon directory prior to upgrading though, so maybe I did something bad?!?) Can anybody else with a US Kindle 4, non-touch, special offers 4.0 or 4.0.1 let me know if you have the t1_timeout file and whether changing it makes any difference? (BTW, I checked with "find" and I didn't/don't have a t1_timeout file anywhere in my Kindle's filesystem.)
Old 01-21-2012, 11:52 PM   #103
Swashy
Swashy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaniko7 View Post
Here's screensaver hack for K4 :
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16679763/upd...0.26.N_k4w.zip

Of course jailbreak is required.

Installation :

- unpack archive
- copy update_ss_0.26.N_k4w_install.bin and data.tar.gz to your Kindle
- update from settings menu
- reboot from settings menu

Cheers
Hi, absolute noob here but.. what exactly does that entail? Everything in this thread is incredibly fucking confusing and I have no idea what that implys.

Jailbreak means root access or access to diagnostics mode, right? Why would I need that if this file you made just works through updating?

Thanks if you feel like helping a lowly nub..

Edit: Nvm.. this https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=240 post explained. Your update is self-signed so otherwise the kindle won't accept it.

Then my next question that I probably already know would be whether theres a safe way to jailbreak thats not full of developer jargon.. bah.

Double Awesome edit:
Found a very simplified explanation on hacking it
I've inserted your hack into the Kindle NT hacking wiki page here:https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle4NTHacking
It would be super cool if you could explain more about how it works, for example, whether inserted images require a special name, or the danger of bricking.

Last edited by Swashy; 01-22-2012 at 12:43 AM.
Swashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 03:42 AM   #104
seaniko7
wannabe developer
seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kindle: 2xKeyboard, Classic, 2xTouch, 2xPW, PW2; Onyx: Boox M92
@Swashy, it's screensaver hack by NiLuJe with some small fixes to work on K4NT. Check this topic

Also here's font hack :
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16679763/upd..._4.9.N_k4w.zip

And simple jailbreak using ixtab method :
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16679763/kin...lbreak-1.0.zip

To JB :
- Copy RUNME.sh and data.tar.gz to your Kindle
- Reboot from settings menu
- enjoy
seaniko7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 01:00 PM   #105
csglinux

Just found this from another forum.
On the K4 (non-touch):
1) Tap the keyboard button.
2) Type ;debugOn and then finish with a return. (Nothing appears to happen.)
3) Type ~disableScreensaver

Now the screensaver will never kick in (not even when you press the power button, so you'll need to power-off by holding for 7 seconds). This is easy, but I still wish there were a way to adjust the timeout. I've not yet found that on my version of the K4.

P.S. Kudos to AmeliaA who posted this tip for the K3 on another forum. I can confirm it also works for the K4.

Tags
kindle 4th gen hack