Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 08-08-2011, 01:39 AM   #1
metal1369
Enthusiast
metal1369 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermetal1369 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermetal1369 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermetal1369 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermetal1369 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermetal1369 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermetal1369 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermetal1369 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermetal1369 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermetal1369 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermetal1369 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 7" wifi
i'm new to samsung galaxy tab, what's next

i recently placed an order for a samsung galaxy tab 7" wifi.
i will be using it primarily as an ebook reader.

what ebook apps should i get and where to get free and paid ebooks.

what apps should i get to maintain the system?

should i get an anti virus? as i will be surfing the net from time to time.

and anything you could suggest for me to enjoy my 1st ever tab/ebook reader.

thanks
metal1369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:26 AM   #2
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Look at the first sticky in the forum it has a list of almost all the readers available on the android os you should check them out to see if they suit your needs.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2011, 12:25 PM   #3
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
^ yup. Congrats. I enjoy my Tab mightily.

- first things first: Get all the Angry Birds games

ereaders: Have tried a bunch, all of the big ones. I keep going back to fbreader myself. Relatively no frills, but fastest page turns and it works great at night. Aldijo and CoolReader are also quite nice IMO, in that order.
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:15 PM   #4
p1s70s
p1s70s began at the beginning.

Device: Android
I also have a Galaxy Tab 7 and love it as an ereader. The best ereader app I have found to date after trying all of the major ones is Mantano. High quality all the way and beautiful interface. Professionally done and works beautifully on the Galaxy Tab.
p1s70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:58 PM   #5
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

^ Hmmm, Mantano, you say? Need to check that one for sure then. Thanks!
Advert
Old 08-08-2011, 02:47 PM   #6
NoName
Zealot
NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, HTC Evo LTE
For a reader, I think you're going to have to just try them to see what fits you best. I haven't tried Mantano, but I've tried most of the other popular ones and settled on Moon+ as my primary reader, with Aldiko and Kindle also installed.

For the internet, try out Dolphin browser.

There's so much out there in the market, just search for what interests you, try it and uninstall if you don't want it. Lots of free apps but the paid ones have a short trial time.
NoName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:52 PM   #7
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by metal1369 View Post
i recently placed an order for a samsung galaxy tab 7" wifi.

should i get an anti virus? as i will be surfing the net from time to time.

thanks
Congratulations, I love my SGT as a reader, but more so for the rest of the things it can do. And YES, you should definitely get an AV. I use Lookout, which seems to be the highest rated AV. It’s free on the Android Marketplace.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 03:48 PM   #8
anabolina
Groupie
anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current: tablet, kindle paperwhite, onyx boox t68. Past: Sony, nook
IDK about Angry Birds, I've never understood what the fuss is about with it. It's a good enough casual game though.

Congratulations on the new tablet, I'm sure you are really going to enjoy it. :-)

For your reading pleasure, try out Aldiko and if it doesn't work, try Moon+. You may also want to get Overdrive if you can check out ebooks or audiobooks online through your library. I like Lookout well enough for anti-virus, but am currently using Antivirus Free because I like to change things up everytime I install a new ROM on my phone.

I also like a home replacement for a more personalized fee to your device. It's nice being able to resize icons and put them where I want them to go. You may want to look at what's compatible first(maybe one of the other home replacements works better for you. I used ADW.Launcher on my Iconia before have to return it last Friday(darn unexpected bills) Go Launcher EX is great for my phone, but it's not compatible with honeycomb. :-(

This thread is really making me think about what are the best applications out there. Back last year when I finally bought the Behold 2, I started forgetting which applications I'd already tried and hated, so I started a Google Doc to keep up with it. That was helpful at first, but takes too much time for maintenance so it's no longer updated.

The following are applications that get reinstalled every time I install a new ROM on my phone and start fresh:

Amazon App Store(love the app of the day)
Aldiko-ebooks
Alarm Clock Plus(makes me do math to turn off the buzzer)
Barcode scanner
My Beach free- this livewallpaper is awesome and gives me a calm, zen type feeling.
Colorize Widget(I think there is another name for the Honeycomb version)
desktop visualizer(allows me to assign different pictures at different sizes and assign them to whichever application I want. Go Launcher does some of this, but desktop visualizer allows you to control the size more precisely.)
Fancy Widget Pro
Fruit Ninja-game
Game Dev Story(costs money)-game
Google Reader
Gospel Library(you don't really need this if you aren't LDS)
Meridian- music player
Flixter
Yelp
No frills CPU Control(can really help with battery life by automotically changing your cpu speed based on what you're doing at the time.)
Overdrive-ebooks
Pandora
Photobucket-automatically uploads photos so you don't have to remember to do it.
Speedtest- isn't completely accurate, but it can give you a rough idea of your current internet speed and you can see if it's absurdly slow for some reason.
Sudoku Free-game
Wordzup-game
Tweetcaster Pro- it's my favorite twitter app, but I wouldnt' have paid for it, it was an amazon app of the day.
Youtube- should come standard on your tablet.
anabolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:48 PM   #9
NoName
Zealot
NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NoName ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, HTC Evo LTE
Dropbox
NoName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:27 PM   #10
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Evernote
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:40 PM   #11
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoName View Post
Dropbox
Heck yeah!

re: AngryBirds. Truth is, I am a johnny-come-lately to the game. While not a hardcore gamer, I have enjoyed an played digital games all my life.

AngryBirds is actually quite brilliant IMO, encapsulating all the best aspects of [casual] gaming into an irresistable package. Plus a healthy does of structural engineering to boot

Yeah, I got hooked immediately - now about 60% to perfect 3 stars on all AB game releases.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:31 PM   #12
metal1369
Enthusiast
metal1369 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermetal1369 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermetal1369 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermetal1369 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermetal1369 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermetal1369 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermetal1369 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermetal1369 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermetal1369 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermetal1369 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermetal1369 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

finally got the galaxy tab, will be checking out the apps you suggested later this afternoon. thanks for all the great info you have shared.
if you forgot anything or want to add more, kindly do.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:58 PM   #13
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Don't let Steve Jobs see you with it. His head might explode and you'd be guilty of manslaughter!

RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:10 PM   #14
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
Don't let Steve Jobs see you with it. His head might explode and you'd be guilty of manslaughter!

Nice informative posts in line with the topic and then this... really useful...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:34 PM   #15
metal1369
Enthusiast

any suggestions on the manga and comic viewers.

Last edited by metal1369; 08-10-2011 at 03:19 AM.

Tags
ebook, galaxy, samsung