Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 03-30-2012, 08:37 PM   #46
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
What has me totally baffled is that ALL applications (including Kobo Desktop) treat the Touch as a disk drive via the USB interface; it's not as if calibre is doing anything different from Explorer, Kobo Desktop, even the venerable Windows command prompt!
Well if you're a wizard, and you're baffled, I don't know what to say...

I have to laugh, cuz I really think I'm just jinxed, and I guess for now I'll just leave it be and check back, because it is annoying to only do 1 change at a time. My options are figure it out and fix it, live with it, or sell it and buy either a Sony or Kindle.
Wait, 1 more option, buy a new PC and see if that helps...[which I sorely want but cannot afford ATM]! :lol

ETA: Someone with Kindle getting a very similar message, coincidence?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=173815

Thanks again for everyone's help, I'll keep checking back.

Last edited by Blue2u; 03-30-2012 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Add link
Blue2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:44 PM   #47
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Hmm! I have a USB2 MP3 player that takes minutes to be recognized if I attach it to that USB 1 port. If I connect to the USB2 Port, almost instant detection.

I hate marginal equipment combinations (one may JUST meet the Minimum values, the other is hovering near the Maximum values. is waiting to happen )

BTW All my computers are close to 10 Years old, and all have USB2 ports (the 12 YO has just 2 USB 1 ports)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:01 PM   #48
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Hmm! I have a USB2 MP3 player that takes minutes to be recognized if I attach it to that USB 1 port. If I connect to the USB2 Port, almost instant detection.

I hate marginal equipment combinations (one may JUST meet the Minimum values, the other is hovering near the Maximum values. is waiting to happen )

BTW All my computers are close to 10 Years old, and all have USB2 ports (the 12 YO has just 2 USB 1 ports)
Thank you for trying to help...still, again, etc.

I would say from your evaluation that mine are definitely USB1, because my Kobo takes 'awhile' to be recognized, it certainly isn't 'instant'.

Do you think Windows XP could be the culprit? I know it doesn't play nice with my KasperskyAV/IS. But see, again, it doesn't make sense because I didn't have ANY problems with any [all 3] of my Kobos previously...and all were used on this computer.

Did you notice the Kindle error thread I linked in prev. post? Is it a similar enough error that it could point to some Calibre code in general or no? I really shouldn't be guessing, I'm grasping at straws.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:07 PM   #49
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Can you set your AV to ignore the Kobo totally? No scanning of any type?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:06 PM   #50
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue2u View Post
Thank you for trying to help...still, again, etc.

I would say from your evaluation that mine are definitely USB1, because my Kobo takes 'awhile' to be recognized, it certainly isn't 'instant'.

Do you think Windows XP could be the culprit? I know it doesn't play nice with my KasperskyAV/IS. But see, again, it doesn't make sense because I didn't have ANY problems with any [all 3] of my Kobos previously...and all were used on this computer.

Did you notice the Kindle error thread I linked in prev. post? Is it a similar enough error that it could point to some Calibre code in general or no? I really shouldn't be guessing, I'm grasping at straws.
It is Grasp straw time
XP (SP3) pays nice with my PEz. I tracked my USB 1 solution by trying to send books (using Explorer). My Dell's and Toshiba Failed (the USB port faulted out and became disabled). I tried the transfer on a Sony laptop (I was showing off my (then) new PEz) and it transferred flawlessly. I poked around the Device manager looking for differences. My dell and Toshiba had 82801series chipsets, the Sony did not. I played around with the USB device settings and discovered the Enhanced mode disable trick.

So, another test (without Calibre running) is to transfer a large file (that will fit) using Explorer and see if there is problems that way.
AFAIK Calibre simply uses Windows to move the file.

The 'driver' simply identifies the device, and features and sets allowed formats and destinations.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:00 AM   #51
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Well if you're a wizard, and you're baffled, I don't know what to say...
The wizard just means I have posted a lot
Old 03-31-2012, 06:36 AM   #52
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
One thing I did notice, is that when I do try to make these changes, my windows folder that opens when you connect to computer, it closes by itself...

And, I still think it's software related for reasons I stated above.
The fact that windows closes the Explorer window for that 'drive', indicates a Windows detected USB fault error (which is what was happening to me). Windows (and Calibre) can no longer communicate with the drive.
Your USB port is NOT dead (at least, before the fault).

The next time this happens: Leave everything connected <<<
Open the 'Device Manager Control panel (Right-click My Computer: select Manage: click Device Manager in the Left column)
Scroll down to the Universal Serial Bus controllers and click the plus to expand. The yellow one is the one to look at the 'Properties' for Status explanations
Old 03-31-2012, 01:29 PM   #53
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

@Blue2u:

If you don't want to buy a new PC right now, maybe another solution springs to mind!

Add a USB 2.0 card to your PC. Take a look at Startech USB 2.0 card.

NCIX is a Canadian firm, based in BC.

Or if you have a CanadaComputer local, Bytecc USB 2.0 5-PORT PCI Card or Vantec PCI Host Card - 5 Port USB 2.0, or even BestBuy Dynex DX-2P2C 2 Port USB 2.0 PCI Card or StarTech 3-Port Low Profile PCI USB 2.0 Card.

Based on the the age of your PC and the fact it only has USB 1, I think it's more than likely you would need a PCI based card (which is what I have listed).
Old 03-31-2012, 01:53 PM   #54
Blue2u
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Can you set your AV to ignore the Kobo totally? No scanning of any type?
Already tried, that, shutting it off completely when working with Kobo/Calibre, selecting not scan, etc.

The fact that windows closes the Explorer window for that 'drive', indicates a Windows detected USB fault error (which is what was happening to me). Windows (and Calibre) can no longer communicate with the drive.
Your USB port is NOT dead (at least, before the fault).

Quote:
The next time this happens: Leave everything connected <<<
Open the 'Device Manager Control panel (Right-click My Computer: select Manage: click Device Manager in the Left column)
Scroll down to the Universal Serial Bus controllers and click the plus to expand. The yellow one is the one to look at the 'Properties' for Status explanations
I just tried that. And while doing it, I paid attention to when the Windows Kobo folder closes.
Plugged Kobo in, waited for Windows Kobo folder to open
Opened Calibre, let it read Kobo
As I selected book to add, but before I pressed 'send to device', the Windows Kobo folder closed, this time it closed before I could even add 1 book!
So then I looked in the USB controllers, and to my surprise, not one of them has yellow, or triangle, or exclamation mark. They just show as normal.
So I wanted to see if Kobo shows in 'My Computer', it does, but when I click properties, it shows the Kobo with 0 used bytes, 0 free bytes., And I haven't ejected it yet using Calibre not 'safely remove hardware'.

So, its' my USB? And I'm not trying to be antagonistic, but logically it doesn't make sense...how come that port works with so many other devices, from 1GB up to 1TB, but not Kobo?
Old 03-31-2012, 02:03 PM   #55
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
So I wanted to see if Kobo shows in 'My Computer', it does, but when I click properties, it shows the Kobo with 0 used bytes, 0 free bytes., And I haven't ejected it yet using Calibre not 'safely remove hardware'.

So, its' my USB? And I'm not trying to be antagonistic, but logically it doesn't make sense...how come that port works with so many other devices, from 1GB up to 1TB, but not Kobo?
Well, this is NOT the same as my error (I had to reboot to get the port back)

Not to worry... This just says the other devices work as expected

USB connectivity is a Pair of ports, Computer and Device. It only take 1 not playing by all the rules to mess it up.

You might follow the steps above https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=118560 and post (inside spoilers please) just like your Kobo was NOT detected. Maybe the driver gurus will spot something they did not anticipate
Old 03-31-2012, 03:42 PM   #56
Blue2u
Wizard

Quote:
Well, this is NOT the same as my error (I had to reboot to get the port back)

Not to worry... This just says the other devices work as expected

USB connectivity is a Pair of ports, Computer and Device. It only take 1 not playing by all the rules to mess it up.

You might follow the steps above https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=118560 and post (inside spoilers please) just like your Kobo was NOT detected. Maybe the driver gurus will spot something they did not anticipate
Ok, I'm going to keep trying different things to see if I can narrow this down.
I plugged Kobo in, and let window open.
I did NOT open Calibre, I wanted to see if I was able to load books directly to Kobo drive that way. Worked beautifully...

So, does that mean it is communication between Calibre and Kobo? Or should I pursue trying this USB thing? Or both?

Peter, I will do some reading based on the information you provided.

theducks, Peter, thank you again so much for being so patient and helpful. I don't know very much about "hardware" things, that's my husbands job! I like to tinker with programs for audio/video etc. So I really appreciate your patience. I like to learn more about the hardware stuff only when I need to.

I also just tried using one of the USB ports in the back, same error. I also tried using a USB 2.0 hub that we use to charge PS3 controllers, same error. So I AM going to post in the thread about Calibre not reading devices. I'll let you guys know what happens.
Thank you again.

Last edited by Blue2u; 03-31-2012 at 04:10 PM. Reason: add to list of 'tries'
Old 03-31-2012, 05:25 PM   #57
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Ok, I'm going to keep trying different things to see if I can narrow this down.
I plugged Kobo in, and let window open.
I did NOT open Calibre, I wanted to see if I was able to load books directly to Kobo drive that way. Worked beautifully...

So, does that mean it is communication between Calibre and Kobo? Or should I pursue trying this USB thing? Or both?

Forget USB port issues.

Something is going weird with Kobo<=> Calibre (send to Device)
There are other posts (one on a French system)

The developers will have to take over from here.

You might try Send to disk (the Kobo) in Calibre just to see if that works?
Old 03-31-2012, 06:28 PM   #58
Blue2u
Wizard

Quote:

Forget USB port issues.

Something is going weird with Kobo<=> Calibre (send to Device)
There are other posts (one on a French system)

The developers will have to take over from here.

You might try Send to disk (the Kobo) in Calibre just to see if that works?
Ok, well I posted both debug info, 1 after I get the error, and 1 before. The other weird thing, the windows folder doesn't always close out, and sometimes it opens empty... I have to laugh, this is way beyond me!

When you say 'send to disk', do you mean wifi through connect/share tab? I've not set my Kobo up for wifi with Calibre, I've only used the connect/share to make changes to my iPod I think. I usually just connect through USB, as I mainly use my iPod as a kind of backup for my books.
I usually keep my Kobo in airplane mode so it doesn't connect to my Kobo Desktop. And as I said, I usually connect/charge my Kobo directly to computer.

Hopefully the debug reports will help sort this out. I really am getting worried that it's some silly setting I'm missing or got changed in error. You are all being so helpful, and if nothing else, I've learned a bit about USB's etc. But it just baffles me how it all worked seamlessly for a year, and through 3 different Kobos...
Old 03-31-2012, 06:42 PM   #59
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Ok, well I posted both debug info, 1 after I get the error, and 1 before. The other weird thing, the windows folder doesn't always close out, and sometimes it opens empty... I have to laugh, this is way beyond me!

When you say 'send to disk', do you mean wifi through connect/share tab? I've not set my Kobo up for wifi with Calibre, I've only used the connect/share to make changes to my iPod I think. I usually just connect through USB, as I mainly use my iPod as a kind of backup for my books.
I usually keep my Kobo in airplane mode so it doesn't connect to my Kobo Desktop. And as I said, I usually connect/charge my Kobo directly to computer.

Hopefully the debug reports will help sort this out. I really am getting worried that it's some silly setting I'm missing or got changed in error. You are all being so helpful, and if nothing else, I've learned a bit about USB's etc. But it just baffles me how it all worked seamlessly for a year, and through 3 different Kobos...
No Calibre has 2 ways to send books to Devices the look like disks. Send to device knows about you device (the driver) and does a lot to help. Send to disk (just uses windows drive letter for the Kobo) will let you send the wrong formats or put them in the wrong place. It treats the device as just another disk. The icon should be on the Tool bar, with or without the device connected (obviously you wont get to choose that drive ) . STD is also useful for loading SD cards that are in a Card reader.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:59 PM   #60
Blue2u
Wizard

Quote:
No Calibre has 2 ways to send books to Devices the look like disks. Send to device knows about you device (the driver) and does a lot to help. Send to disk (just uses windows drive letter for the Kobo) will let you send the wrong formats or put them in the wrong place. It treats the device as just another disk. The icon should be on the Tool bar, with or without the device connected (obviously you wont get to choose that drive ) . STD is also useful for loading SD cards that are in a Card reader.
The 'save to device' button only shows up when Kobo is connected. That's what I generally use to make my library changes when Kobo is connected. I think you can also right click on the book[s] you want and the dropdown menu will let you do it this way also. Is that what you mean?

Save to Disk I use as my Calibre backup in a different folder than where my books are located.

I don't think I've ever used any other method to update my Kobo?