Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-11-2010, 10:37 AM   #1
aru
Likes to read on e-ink
aru is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle DX
Kindle DX won't Update :(

I installed EBS' screensaver hack to have the little lock icon instead of the author-pictures. Now I wanted to update the Kindle DX software from 2.1 to 2.3. That did not work. So I used the uninstall routine from the most recent package and then tried to load 2.3 again, this did not work either, the Kindle runs through the upgrade, but at the end it still says software version 2.1. I called Kindle support and they said I modified the Kindle ...
I tried the update_screensaverhack-uninstall-dx.bin again and it failed to install without leaving a log. Tried 2.3 one more time which did not work either. Then installed the new hack and uninstalled it, reset the DX to factory settings and did a hardware reset. Then tried 2.3 one more time, now it is not installing anymore but stops the installation saying that it failed.

I'm most concerned that I can not update when the folder support will materialize.
Last word from Amazon tech support is that they can't help and suggested to buy a new Kindle ...

Is there any way to bring the Kindle back to its original state so that Amazon's updates work?

Last edited by aru; 02-11-2010 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Spelling
aru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:02 AM   #2
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ugh! That a pickle. I have no idea. Normally doing the hack uninstall works just fine for folks. Hopefully someone will read this and be a little more helpful
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2010, 11:38 AM   #3
angelad
Groupie
angelad is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle dx
I think you can try to find an older update/firmware online and try to install that, so it brings the kindle to an older state?
angelad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:20 AM   #4
aru
Likes to read on e-ink
aru is on a distinguished road

Thanks everybody who supported me!

I found an old version of the hack at the kind friends of kindleblog (http://blogkindle.com/category/kindle-hacks/), downloaded it, and applied the uninstall.
I then did a hardware-reset of the kindle.
After that I downloaded the update from the Amazon site directly to the Kindle.
And it worked. I have now Version 2.3 on my Kindle DX.

I attached the old hack file here just in case somebody else runs into the same issue.
Attached Files
File Type: zip kindle-dx-screensaver-0.1.zip (4.9 KB, 316 views)
aru is offline   Reply With Quote