Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 04-24-2007, 03:09 AM   #76
Tokkeh
Reader
Tokkeh once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tokkeh once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tokkeh once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tokkeh once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tokkeh once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tokkeh once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tokkeh once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tokkeh once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tokkeh once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tokkeh once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tokkeh once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iLiad /Palm TX
Thumbs down Irex Deluxe cover

Wish I'd seen this thread earlier.

Irex screwed up my order and I ended up with the new Deluxe Cover. Deluxe yes, good fit for iLiad no. I'd waited too long and had too much trouble to try sending it back so I use it. iLiad can fall out (pocket at base only, doesn't fit snugly). Opens like book (flat but with stiff spine) instead of fliptop or with flexible spine, so awkward for writing on lap. Unless you have long nails you can't get at the on/off switch. Stylus loop too thick - fits old Wacom stylus (or a pen) but you have to take the iLiad out to park the stylus so I've mislaid it several times. Wouldn't be so bad if case hadn't been so expensive.

I don't know what the 'economy' case (the one I ordered) is like but I bet the DIY ones are better and cheaper. I'm pretty sure that even with postage it might be worth costing your case, realityloop.
Tokkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 05:12 PM   #77
mac
Enthusiast
mac began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad
simply cover

cheap and easy to do
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0194.JPG
Views:	508
Size:	703.4 KB
ID:	3917   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0195.JPG
Views:	509
Size:	766.0 KB
ID:	3918   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0196.JPG
Views:	453
Size:	757.9 KB
ID:	3919  
mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2007, 10:04 AM   #78
Annah
Annah began at the beginning.

There's some great covers here! At the moment I have mine partially made (should be finished later today) but it's weird looking compared to everyone elses I used a hardcover book with an interesting cover design (I used to make purses from hardbacks so this was an interesting experiment)-- but it doesn't fit precisely. Not a big issue since it's mostly just for protection; I'll be taking out the iliad to use it. Meanwhile, I still want to make another that will provide some security, just have to get the materials. I'll post pictures later on today/tomorrow.
Annah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 02:23 AM   #79
firekat
Groupie
firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Well it's close to a year that I have had the iLiad and it is time for it to get a little bit more out in the open. Up to now I have been keeping it in a zipping Steno Pad kind of case. There is a sleeve area that you could put things in and the iLiad fit just fine. The case is very well padded. The problem was that you could not access it relatively quickly. You would have to unzip the case, extract the iLiad, turn it on, find a safe location for it, use it then put it back in the case.

I built this. The best thing about this is that the cover will fold behind the back. This make it less cumbersome than having a case that has an open area adjacent to the right or the left of it. I can fold the front cover back and lay the unit down using a minimal amount of space. Holding it and reading it takes less space this way.

All controls & data ports are easily accessed and the stylus is still easy to get to. The only control that would take some getting to is the reset button.

I made it from a leather spiral type binder I got in Office Depot. The iLiad is attached with Velcro. The important part is to place the Velcro on the low points. If you put it on the higher points it becomes a bit too thick.

I had to remove a pocket from the inside of the front cover. That necessitated cutting the white threading off most of the front leather cover. After I removed the pocket I removed the white thread and restitched it for aesthetics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Case Closed!.JPG
Views:	489
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	4579   Click image for larger version

Name:	Case Partially Open!.JPG
Views:	498
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	4580   Click image for larger version

Name:	Case Fully Open!.JPG
Views:	461
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	4581  

Last edited by firekat; 07-24-2007 at 04:07 AM.
firekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 08:53 PM   #80
autophile
Singularitarian
autophile is on a distinguished road

Device: Motorola Xoom
I did pretty much the same as Seaview over on the previous page. I went to Office Depot, armed with the measurements of the Iliad. There was a clearance display with last year's calendars and journals outside, but no ruler (I didn't think to bring one). So I went inside the store, grabbed a ruler, went to the journal section, measured out one just slightly bigger than the Iliad -- the journal wasn't spiral bound or book bound, it was just a pad that slid out. Then put the ruler back, went outside, and chose last year's journal! I also bought some velcro.

All told, it came to something like $8 or so, maybe less. I know the clearance journal was maybe $3, and the rest was the velcro.

It protects the screen against scratches, but it wouldn't protect against, say, a well-aimed foot. I dropped the thing in the case from a height of three feet onto carpet, and nothing broke or fell off! That's not a guarantee, just an anecdote.

Oh, and it really looks good. It looks expensive! You can open it up like a book, and the stylus and ports are easily accessible. I was considering embossing something on the cover and spine. Like "Book of Books" in Latin

--Rob

Last edited by autophile; 07-24-2007 at 08:59 PM.
autophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2007, 01:10 PM   #81
Annah
Annah began at the beginning.

A month overdue but here it is...

It's mostly a cover to protect the iliad while it's in my backpack, but it's also arty enough for this english student I used the cover of a hardback of poems, detached the spine and stitched it back togoether (to give a little more room to fit), and glued on the print you see there. I also added a latch and a piece to hold it more securely. Burnt the fingers a few times but generally, I enjoyed making it.

Annah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 12:38 PM   #82
Snas
Enthusiast
Snas began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad & N95

With the subscription we offer this cover with the iLiad

(Great photos with my new bricked iLiad )
Snas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 01:50 PM   #83
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snas View Post
(Great photos with my new bricked iLiad )
I thought you could easily unbrick an iLiad now with their new software...
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote