Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 12-22-2009, 03:16 AM   #1
Elliot
Elliot began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Question Looking for that great writing partner?

Hi there!

Having a good writing partnership is no easy thing, so I thought to start this thread to discuss what makes a good team.

I have collaborated on some projects recently and have found it tons of fun, but encountered lots of challenges with synchronizing schedules, managing expectations, division of work, difference in voice and general style, work habits...

I think that all the challenges faced by a writing partnership arrangement can be overcome and is well worth the effort. It can be like a booster shot for creativity, a fantastic learning experience, help build confidence, and did I mention super fun?

So, lets get started. What comments, questions, or experiences have you had with writing partnerships?

Last edited by Elliot; 02-14-2011 at 12:59 PM.
Elliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 05:57 AM   #2
Winter
Enthusiast
Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Asus EeePC
Every time I've gotten to collaborate with another writer it's been a lot of fun. The only problems have been in relation to dividing the work equally, and persevering through conflicting views.

In my view, authors are by nature solitary creatures, and they tend to find it difficult to work together.

Still, I do love that extra set of eyes and brains to help the story attain greater heights than could be achieved alone.

Regards,
Ryan

Last edited by Winter; 12-22-2009 at 06:00 AM.
Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2009, 07:05 AM   #3
Elliot

I have had the same experiences in some of my projects. I tried lots of different ways to make the division of work more fun and productive. For example, last time we did the work in chunks, like a chapter every two week based on an agreed outline and deadline.
We bounced chapters back and forth taking turns rewriting, but it was agreed ahead of time who would do the final rewrite of each chapter to avoid unity of voice and style issues. We also divided the character building responsibility and had fun with it as we found ways to interact our character in the story.

It helped to have as much research work done before the first draft started (character profiles, storyboards, plot points and scene descriptions,...).

What have you guys tried?
Old 12-23-2009, 08:56 PM   #4
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
I once wrote a fantasy novel with a partner three states away. It was enlightening and eye opening to say the least. We at least had the plot all hammered out and had divided it up into two teams. We'd alternate chapters. Hers were always better polished. Our writing styles didn't mesh well either. I've always had a tendency to write in short sentences that were pretty much point black and to the point. She would spend more time on her words. Where I'd say "Joe looked down." She'd write "The canvas of the world spread before him as Joe looked down into the mouth of the earth."

Or something like that. Well, nothing like that - - but you get the point
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 11:32 PM   #5
GoblinWriter
vizsla wrangler
GoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting Windows

Device: Kindle 3G
This isn't something I've tried, but I could see a partnership working well where one person has the great voice and storytelling flare and the other loves research and can always be counted on for accuracy and verisimilitude.

I imagine there are numerous ways a partnership could work, but it seems like it'd be difficult to mesh styles with different folks writing different scenes (maybe less noticeable, or more acceptable, if each wrote different POV characters).
GoblinWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2009, 11:44 PM   #6
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
We tried that one too, GoblinWriter.

It was an enjoyable experiment. I wish I still had the document laying around here somewhere though. Some of my friend's POV scenes were pretty sweet. She had that eye for detail and the woman's touch for sure. In a couple of scenes you could almost feel the wind hitting your face!
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 08:07 AM   #7
Elliot

It can be really challenging finding a compatible writing partner. Maybe there should be some type of matching service that sets up writing profiles then puts people together.

What you think?
Old 01-02-2010, 04:30 AM   #8
Winter
Enthusiast
Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Asus EeePC
Writers tend to be staunch individualists, so I reckon a service like that would probably crash and burn within the first few months.

Regards,
Ryan
Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 07:53 AM   #9
Elliot

Sad, but I agree. If only more people knew that writing with a partner can be so much fun. You can explore writing in a different genre and the creativity potential is amazing. It can be like a role playing game where your characters interact with your partner's characters as you both explore the plot outline.

Last edited by Elliot; 02-14-2011 at 01:00 PM.

Tags
author, collaborating, partnership, screenplay, writing