Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 06-07-2009, 08:28 PM   #1
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Question Stripping white margins from PDFs

I thought I saw a tool that would strip the wide white margins from PDF files, but I can't find it using search.

Could a kind soul please point me in the right direction?
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:37 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
One option is soPdf - Better than Yet another PDF to LRF converter.

A new option is pdfmanipulate, which is a command line utility in Calibre 0.6 beta, see New features in calibre 0.6.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2009, 08:53 PM   #3
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks much!

...toddling off to check those threads...
Old 06-07-2009, 09:07 PM   #4
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
If you have a Mac it's INCREDIBLY easy in Preview.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 10:01 PM   #5
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010

No Mac, alas.
Advert
Old 06-07-2009, 10:03 PM   #6
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Wasn't sure, which is why I didn't give more detailed info. But good luck! I know Adobe Acrobat can do it, but I doubt the free version can.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 10:07 PM   #7
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010

Hmm, I *have* Adobe Acrobat, but it's the Standard version. I wonder if that's only available in Professional.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:31 PM   #8
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
It works in Standard, too.
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 10:58 PM   #9
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010

Herm, call me what you will, but I can't find it. Is it buried somewhere on a menu?
Old 06-07-2009, 11:43 PM   #10
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You have to click on the "Pages" tab on the left. On the "Options" menu near the top you will find "Crop Pages". Make sure to select the range of pages before clicking OK.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:39 AM   #11
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray View Post
You have to click on the "Pages" tab on the left. On the "Options" menu near the top you will find "Crop Pages". Make sure to select the range of pages before clicking OK.
jgray, Don't know how I missed that before - works great! (at least on the 1 book I've tried so far).

One other question related to PDF conversions. Following the procedure for converting a large page-size PDF for use on a smaller ebook reader, I save the PDF as RTF (per the Sony Guide). But, when the RTF is open in Word 2007 I cannot access the Page Setup actions - they are grayed-out. And the file is miserable-looking, with overlapping text boxes. Although if I reduce the font size I can eliminate the overlap.

I was able to save the PDF to text and then to rtf - fiddle around with font/size, page size, margins - and then save it back to pdf. The file size goes from 1442 (original pdf) to 853(txt) to 993 (rtf) to a whopping 2173(pdf) - is this normal? Maybe I should just stick with the pdf->txt conversion?

The only advantage that I can gather in going through the entire cycle is if I want to have the book in a special (non-jetBook supported) font?

Thanks again!
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 02:03 AM   #12
alilxmas
Enthusiast
alilxmas has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: SmartQ 7, VX787
I actually just prefer the text version
alilxmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 02:13 AM   #13
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010

Quote:
Originally Posted by alilxmas View Post
I actually just prefer the text version

Yes, I'd prefer a text version too, but I only have PDF versions of many, many documents. And they will not convert to text.
Old 06-19-2009, 02:21 AM   #14
bozon42
Enthusiast
bozon42 began at the beginning.

Device: Lbook V3
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
I thought I saw a tool that would strip the wide white margins from PDF files, but I can't find it using search.

Could a kind soul please point me in the right direction?
Hello,
try to search pdfcrop in google or on this forum.
Regards,

bozon42

PS1: http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/support/pdfcrop/ (pdfcrop.pl )
PS2: http://www.wikihow.com/Crop-Pages-in-a-PDF-Document
PS3: http://www.pdfill.com/

Last edited by bozon42; 06-19-2009 at 02:24 AM.
bozon42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 02:59 AM   #15
jgray
Fanatic

I have yet to find a program that will take a PDF and convert it to anything useful. All the programs I've tried either give me plain text with line breaks for each line, or try to recreate the exact layout of the original PDF by using text boxes, tables, and other ridiculous amounts of formatting.

Even the HTML output from these programs suck. Either the HTML has tons of embedded font tags, or they generate extremely complex CSS in an attempt to duplicate the layout of the PDF. Yes, I can use HTML Tidy to clean some of this, but I still have to spend hours cleaning up the rest of the mess. I have done this often enough that I am tired of it. I refuse to waste any more time on converting PDF files.

All I want is simple HTML output with bold, italic, headers and such. If I need anything fancier, I can add a simple sytle sheet myself.