Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 05-08-2017, 12:52 PM   #1
FatDog
Witless protection Agent
FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Does anyone have a good list of Tropes?

I have recently discovered that many of my favorite books & movies include "Tropes". This is not a bad thing as good writing, good characterizations or plots can entertain even based on many of these.

(Yes, some websites have defined "Tropes" as figure of speech, but many book-reviews mention that a book contains tropes like "Marry Sue" and others).

I even found http://thebooksmugglers.com/2016/08/...am-no-one.html Book Smugglers - Trope Anatomy that takes a few and dives into them.

So I started to think about Tropes and I have decided I am interested in both Character and Plot Tropes. Things like the "Mary Sue/Gary Sue" character (always perfect), The "Damaged Hero" and "Gay Best Friend so you do not become a love interest & we can discuss my love interest" help define characters. (Don't forget the soon-to-be-knocked-off "Red Shirt" character).

The "Find a Family", "Love Triangle" and "Murder in a Locked Room" seem to be plot tropes. But these are also considered Literary devices or even genres.

So now I start to get confused.

Does anybody have a website that lists common Character and Plot Tropes?

The word "Trope" is usually associated with cliche or over-used/worn out concepts. I am NOT looking for tropes in a pejorative sense. I am looking at how these simple concepts become the framework for a story.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 01:07 PM   #2
arjaybe
Guru
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
I looked up "trope" in a dictionary because I've never been quite clear what one is. I always vaguely understood it in the pejorative sense. I'm still confused. The dictionary had some definitions, but no examples, which might have helped. Apparently there are at least four kinds.
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2017, 04:19 PM   #3
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Have you browsed tvtropes.com? Specifically either the literary tropes or literature sections.

Warning, you can spend a lot of time at that site if you aren't careful.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 05:42 PM   #4
FatDog
Witless protection Agent
FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Yes TVTropes is a fun site. But they tend to lump a lot of literary terms together and this is part of my confusion.

Let me re-state the problem:

I have joined a book club. As part of my bit of the discussion I would like to report the Plot & Character tropes in this weeks book. I need a score-card of perhaps 15-20 most common tropes I can use to tick off when reading a book to force me to think more critically about a book.

And the other theory/hope/idea:

All books include Tropes like all houses include foundations, framing, supports. Do I like my favorite books because of a pleasing mix of Tropes or do I like my favorite books because the author put layers and layers of plot, characters, ideas on top of a few Tropes?
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 06:44 PM   #5
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
You might want to also have a look at Wikipedia's assorted lists and articles, which provide a reasonably concise, 1-page summary of the really common or notable examples.

Last edited by ATDrake; 05-08-2017 at 06:59 PM.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2017, 02:27 PM   #6
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
arjaybe, a trope is a recognizable literary device based on content. (I.e. alliteration is not a "trope.")

If it's done too often, especially poorly, it becomes a cliché. So: A trope is a cliché that's not yet boring. If a trope is popular enough, it can be an entire subgenre.

tvtropes covers quite a lot of them (it misses a number of common fanfic tropes, for obvious reasons - fanlore.org tries to cover those), but since their initial focus was on TV, the descriptions aren't always useful for literary purposes. They also don't separate out common tropes, or tropes-by-genre, in a way that's useful for discussing literature, and their trope names are pop-culture based instead of academic.

In addition to wikipedia's (often excellent) lists of literary techniques, including tropes, gaming sites may have lists of character tropes and plot devices, although these specific ones are use pop-culture phrasing.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 05:17 PM   #7
arjaybe
Guru
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
arjaybe, a trope is a recognizable literary device based on content. (I.e. alliteration is not a "trope.")

If it's done too often, especially poorly, it becomes a cliché. So: A trope is a cliché that's not yet boring. If a trope is popular enough, it can be an entire subgenre.

tvtropes covers quite a lot of them (it misses a number of common fanfic tropes, for obvious reasons - fanlore.org tries to cover those), but since their initial focus was on TV, the descriptions aren't always useful for literary purposes. They also don't separate out common tropes, or tropes-by-genre, in a way that's useful for discussing literature, and their trope names are pop-culture based instead of academic.

In addition to wikipedia's (often excellent) lists of literary techniques, including tropes, gaming sites may have lists of character tropes and plot devices, although these specific ones are use pop-culture phrasing.
Thank you, Elfwreck. So, the couple who hate each other at the beginning being obviously meant for each other would be a trope? Or is it a cliche already?-)
Old 05-23-2017, 12:58 AM   #8
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Standard theme of countless romances. Just about every Harlequin Mills and Boon; old as Pride and Prejudice.
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 11:55 AM   #9
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Cliche is just another way of saying that the reader noticed what the author was doing; reader's are not supposed to do that, not while they are reading.

Tropes and plot-devices talk about exactly the same thing, but allow for it to be something you notice only after you finish reading and start trying to deconstruct the story. The problem with that is that it has already been done by the likes of Joseph Cambell and others, who would have us believe that every story is the same story. (And so must be inevitably cliche?) This may be why some people prefer to read non-fiction, in fiction the story fails to fool them and all they see are the plot devices.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 12:09 PM   #10
arjaybe
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Cliche is just another way of saying that the reader noticed what the author was doing; reader's are not supposed to do that, not while they are reading.

Tropes and plot-devices talk about exactly the same thing, but allow for it to be something you notice only after you finish reading and start trying to deconstruct the story. The problem with that is that it has already been done by the likes of Joseph Cambell and others, who would have us believe that every story is the same story. (And so must be inevitably cliche?) This may be why some people prefer to read non-fiction, in fiction the story fails to fool them and all they see are the plot devices.
I am thankful, then, that I don't know very much about those technical things. If I did, I'm sure it would ruin reading for me. Everything might start to look trite and predictable.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:38 PM   #11
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjaybe View Post
I am thankful, then, that I don't know very much about those technical things. If I did, I'm sure it would ruin reading for me. Everything might start to look trite and predictable.
I have worried about that too. I recognised that the more I wrote, and the more I read and thought about the process of writing, the more I was aware of what I read - the many "tricks" and themes and so on that occur throughout most stories. But what I have also discovered is that in good books I just don't notice until later, when I stop to think it over. It's only in books that I am not enjoying that I notice these things while I am reading (hence my previous post).

The downside of this is that I find I can analyse what makes a book a "bad" (or not so good) - in my eyes, at least - but I have yet to work out what makes a book good. And failing that, how do I know if I am achieving good?
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 12:07 AM   #12
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I have worried about that too. I recognised that the more I wrote, and the more I read and thought about the process of writing, the more I was aware of what I read - the many "tricks" and themes and so on that occur throughout most stories. But what I have also discovered is that in good books I just don't notice until later, when I stop to think it over. It's only in books that I am not enjoying that I notice these things while I am reading (hence my previous post).

The downside of this is that I find I can analyse what makes a book a "bad" (or not so good) - in my eyes, at least - but I have yet to work out what makes a book good. And failing that, how do I know if I am achieving good?
You will know you are achieving good when you get lovers and haters.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote