Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-14-2008, 10:08 PM   #1
noxxle
Enthusiast
noxxle began at the beginning.

Kindle 2.0 eta?

Has amazon made any announcements or suggestions about when they will be releasing an updated version? If not, any predictions? Also, how well does the kindle resell? If I buy one, I will probably sell it after about 6 months.
noxxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 10:21 PM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Not heard anything in regards to a new Kindle, had one software update so far
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2008, 06:37 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The main problem, I'd guess, with reselling is the fact that the Kindle is currently a single-country device, which severely restricts the size of the market for re-selling it. Any other device - Sony, iLiad, CyBook, etc - has a world-wide marketplace for it. Two of the three eInk devices I've so-far re-sold have been bought by buyers in other countries.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 11:33 AM   #4
noxxle
Enthusiast

Is the warranty transferable? And is there any way to purchase an extended warranty?
Old 05-15-2008, 04:23 PM   #5
dugbug
Addict
dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The main problem, I'd guess, with reselling is the fact that the Kindle is currently a single-country device, which severely restricts the size of the market for re-selling it. Any other device - Sony, iLiad, CyBook, etc - has a world-wide marketplace for it. Two of the three eInk devices I've so-far re-sold have been bought by buyers in other countries.
What would that have to do with a v2.0?
dugbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2008, 10:45 PM   #6
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
not at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by noxxle View Post
Is the warranty transferable? And is there any way to purchase an extended warranty?
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 10:55 PM   #7
noxxle
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
not at this time
Does your statement apply to BOTH transferability and extended warranty?
Old 05-16-2008, 02:27 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugbug View Post
What would that have to do with a v2.0?
Please go back and read the original poster's question. I was answering the part which said:

Quote:
Also, how well does the kindle resell?
Old 05-16-2008, 04:32 PM   #9
lovebeta
Groupie
lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2, Amazon Kindle, Sony PRS-505
Let me give a shoot-in-the-dark estimation: maybe this coming holiday shopping season? I think it makes sense to do a yearly update -- Just like what sony did with PRS series.

I wouldn't worry that much about kindle resell value. There were some faults with Kindle 1, like huge buttons (I actually enjoy it personally). The majority of them, however, were software issues. Given Amazon's business model on content, I think we will get firmware update even when K2 comes out.

On the other hand, it seemed that Sony had abandoned PRS500 users altogether. I am not surprised -- Sony is such a nasty HARDWARE manufacture and all they want you to do is to upgrade to the latest models. Yuk...
lovebeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 04:44 PM   #10
lovebeta
Groupie
lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I think there is one factor about kindle: there are no resellers other than Amazon. That means no below-MSRP new ones to undercut the used devices. There are some sub-$400 units on sale on eBay, but I guess they belong to the stupid speculators and will die out sooner than later.

Harry, I am curious, what were the three eInk devices you flipped? How much were the buy-sell spreads, if you don't mind? I kinda wanna try more devices but not sure how much that'll cost me.
Old 05-16-2008, 05:03 PM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebeta View Post
On the other hand, it seemed that Sony had abandoned PRS500 users altogether. I am not surprised -- Sony is such a nasty HARDWARE manufacture and all they want you to do is to upgrade to the latest models. Yuk...
Sort of like Apple, which everyone loves and says is an awesome company?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 07:35 PM   #12
lovebeta
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Sort of like Apple, which everyone loves and says is an awesome company?

BOb
So you define these apple-fans as everyone? lol

Apple is indeed an awesome company... to investors, not to the consumers. Yeah, I feel so comfortable to park my money in such a company with awesome capability to rip off its *fans*.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:49 PM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
So you define these apple-fans as everyone? lol
Given how popular the iPod and iPhone are, the "ubiquitious" everyone...

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 03:30 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Harry, I am curious, what were the three eInk devices you flipped? How much were the buy-sell spreads, if you don't mind? I kinda wanna try more devices but not sure how much that'll cost me.
Two different Sonys and an iLiad. In each case, I sold them for about 70% of what I paid for them, which seemed fair to me.