Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-01-2013, 10:03 PM   #631
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Excuse me if this has been asked before, but is there a way to create "shelves" outside
of the device, on a PC? I thought that I saw it mentioned that calibre might be able to
do it.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:05 PM   #632
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Excuse me if this has been asked before, but is there a way to create "shelves" outside
of the device, on a PC? I thought that I saw it mentioned that calibre might be able to
do it.

Luck;
Ken
This should help...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=193184
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2013, 10:58 PM   #633
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
I've found that usually, the problem is with the file system format rather than the extra capacity. I've got a tablet that throws a "corrupted SD card" error with 64GB exFAT and several that throw the same error with 64GB FAT32. Since I'm guessing the microSD card slot on the Aura is easily accessible, no, 64GB support isn't absolutely necessary. It would have just been more convenient (less swapping required). I carry a credit card sized case which holds up to 8 cards in my wallet. It's currently populated with 4*64GB and 4*32GB cards (~360GiB) which stores a mix of manga, music and videos (mostly manga) and that's only a subset of my collection (have a 12TB file server at home). Yeah, I won't be able to read/listen/watch through 360GiB of content in 1 month but I like having a large selection on hand.
As you mention swapping SD cards, I think I'll add an explanation of what happens when you put an SD card in a Kobo ereader.

When you insert an SD card, the device processes all the books on it and adds them to the internal database. This is used for the library. This is the same as when a book is sideloaded to the main memory.

When the card is ejected, the device does nothing except it will no longer list the books that are on the card in the library.

If you put the card back in, the card is checked for changes. Books that have been deleted are removed from the database. New books are processed and added to the database. Books that have been changed, are removed from the database and then added as new books. As far as I can tell, the file size is what is used to determine if a book has been changed.

What the above means is that if you eject and replace an SD card, it is reasonable fast. But, if you eject it and put a different one in, all books on the first card are removed from the database and all books from the new card are added. That can take some time if the card has a lot of books. If the cards share contents, such as you copied the books from one card to another and added more books, it should treat it as the same card and only process the differences. But, I haven't tried this.

As I mentioned changed books on the SD card, changes are handled differently for the main memory. If the book changes, it is completely removed from the device. The book is deleted and all entries in the database removed. Again, the change seems to be based on file size. If you use calibre to send a changed book to the device, calibre will update the file size in the database to prevent the book from being removed.

The above is based on experimentation with my Touch and Glo over all the different firmware versions. The above is what the current state seems to be. As the firmware is common between the devices, I expect the Aura HD to work in the same way.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:24 PM   #634
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the SD card explanation, I needed that.

Luck;
Ken
Old 05-02-2013, 10:32 AM   #635
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
As you mention swapping SD cards, I think I'll add an explanation of what happens when you put an SD card in a Kobo ereader.

When you insert an SD card, the device processes all the books on it and adds them to the internal database. This is used for the library. This is the same as when a book is sideloaded to the main memory.

When the card is ejected, the device does nothing except it will no longer list the books that are on the card in the library.

If you put the card back in, the card is checked for changes. Books that have been deleted are removed from the database. New books are processed and added to the database. Books that have been changed, are removed from the database and then added as new books. As far as I can tell, the file size is what is used to determine if a book has been changed.

What the above means is that if you eject and replace an SD card, it is reasonable fast. But, if you eject it and put a different one in, all books on the first card are removed from the database and all books from the new card are added. That can take some time if the card has a lot of books. If the cards share contents, such as you copied the books from one card to another and added more books, it should treat it as the same card and only process the differences. But, I haven't tried this.

As I mentioned changed books on the SD card, changes are handled differently for the main memory. If the book changes, it is completely removed from the device. The book is deleted and all entries in the database removed. Again, the change seems to be based on file size. If you use calibre to send a changed book to the device, calibre will update the file size in the database to prevent the book from being removed.

The above is based on experimentation with my Touch and Glo over all the different firmware versions. The above is what the current state seems to be. As the firmware is common between the devices, I expect the Aura HD to work in the same way.

So it might be a wise move for those with lots of manga to upgrade their internal SD card with a 32GB and then use a 32GB in the external slot to get the most space?
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2013, 11:32 AM   #636
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
The Aura seems much faster to start up from Off state than my Touch (about 15 seconds vs. 45 seconds). I wonder how much of that is due to a faster processor, and how much is due to having only a small amount of content on the Aura so far (not that I keep a huge amount on the Touch at any one time - I probably only have about 25-30 books on there since my last factory reset).

The faster processor and larger screen helps the web browser. Not that it's ever going to be great on an e-ink screen, but it's better than the Touch.

I still don't like the feel of the hard plastic sharp-cornered case though. I don't want to add the extra size and weight of a cover, and in any case the official Kobo cover for the Aura doesn't improve the grip at all: the back is made of the same slick plastic as the Aura, and of course it does nothing for the grip of your thumb on the slick front bezel. So I've been thinking about alternatives. Some sort of spray-on rubber coating? Some strategically-placed bits of vinyl or cloth tape? How about wearing a Kobo glove on my reading hand instead of using a cover? One of those soft cloth gloves with grippy rubber bumps would be perfect!

Last edited by FJames; 05-02-2013 at 11:40 AM.
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:53 AM   #637
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
And the inside of the Kobo cover which becomes the back of the reader when folded backward, wouldn't that help?
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:36 PM   #638
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
Quote:
do it.

Luck;
Ken
My personal logic would tell me that would be what the Kobo desktop program would be used for, among other stuff. But noooooo.
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:02 PM   #639
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJames View Post
The Aura seems much faster to start up from Off state than my Touch (about 15 seconds vs. 45 seconds). I wonder how much of that is due to a faster processor, and how much is due to having only a small amount of content on the Aura so far (not that I keep a huge amount on the Touch at any one time - I probably only have about 25-30 books on there since my last factory reset).

The faster processor and larger screen helps the web browser. Not that it's ever going to be great on an e-ink screen, but it's better than the Touch.

I still don't like the feel of the hard plastic sharp-cornered case though. I don't want to add the extra size and weight of a cover, and in any case the official Kobo cover for the Aura doesn't improve the grip at all: the back is made of the same slick plastic as the Aura, and of course it does nothing for the grip of your thumb on the slick front bezel. So I've been thinking about alternatives. Some sort of spray-on rubber coating? Some strategically-placed bits of vinyl or cloth tape? How about wearing a Kobo glove on my reading hand instead of using a cover? One of those soft cloth gloves with grippy rubber bumps would be perfect!
I've been thinking of using one of those rubbery plastic tool handle dips or
spray cans to apply an additional cushioning as well as a better grip. The
best way to do it might be to open the case and remove the electronics.

Are there any "How To"s out there showing any tricks to safely opening
the case ?

Once the two plastic parts of the shell are available then there is a matter
of surface preparation.

Another thing that might look good would be to apply some of that "3M"
Carbon Fiber looking adhesive backed vinyl sheets. Google "3m carbon
fiber". Or http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...45960087,d.aWM

Luck;
Ken

Never mind about the "How To" for opening the case, I was able to get it open by just running my thumbnail around where the two parts join. There
is some tape around the inside edge of the bezel but it separated from the
screen nicely. You can't tell much from the attached pic., but the inside of this brown
Aura HD is a shiny piano black.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	041.JPG
Views:	1652
Size:	896.7 KB
ID:	105262  

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 05-02-2013 at 02:49 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:06 PM   #640
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
And the inside of the Kobo cover which becomes the back of the reader when folded backward, wouldn't that help?
Possibly. Has anyone tried it?
Old 05-02-2013, 02:08 PM   #641
FJames
Addict

Quote:
Another thing that might look good would be to apply some of that "3M"
Carbon Fiber looking adhesive backed vinyl sheets. Google "3m carbon
fiber". Or http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...45960087,d.aWM
That stuff looks like it would be perfect for a black Aura! I wonder if it's possible to buy a smaller roll anywhere local?
Old 05-02-2013, 02:10 PM   #642
savbeowulf
Enthusiast
savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.savbeowulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD Ivory
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJames View Post
Possibly. Has anyone tried it?
I have an ivory Aura in an official sleep cover and fold it back to read and I haven't had any slipping issues it seems grippy enough to me.
savbeowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:25 PM   #643
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by savbeowulf View Post
I have an ivory Aura in an official sleep cover and fold it back to read and I haven't had any slipping issues it seems grippy enough to me.
That's my experience too, with the same configuration.
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:31 PM   #644
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
do it.

Luck;
Ken
There's a lot of info available in the "sticky" threads above this one. The shelf management one is there and although it doesn't name the Aura in the title, it does work for the Aura as well since the Aura has the same firmware as the other Kobo readers...

Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:46 PM   #645
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
There's a lot of info available in the "sticky" threads above this one. The shelf management one is there and although it doesn't name the Aura in the title, it does work for the Aura as well since the Aura has the same firmware as the other Kobo readers...

I've put a request in to have the title of that thread updated to include Aura.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote