Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 03-11-2012, 06:48 PM   #1
Muckraker
Connoisseur
Muckraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Muckraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Muckraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Muckraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Muckraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Muckraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Muckraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Muckraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Muckraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Muckraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Muckraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
EPUB -> Mobi = 4x larger file size. (4mb -> 16mb)

Howdy,

Working on a book that has 130 B/W gif images.

My first attempt was with larger image file sizes--roughly an 8mb EPUB. That wound up becoming a 16mb MOBI.

I went back and knocked down the gifs to 3-color. This decreased my EPUB to 4mb. Calibre conversion, however, resulted in a similar 15mb MOBI size.

I unpacked the MOBI and determined that Calibre is converting my 3-color 10k gifs to 50k jpegs.

Is there anything I can do to prevent this? I'm annoyed at having to do all this tweaking to decrease Amazon's stupid "delivery fee." Then I see my file sizes increasing 2x to 4x just on conversion.

I've also tried Kindlegen and that "only" results in a 2x file size (4mb to 8mb) but I don't like how Kindlegen handles formatting and ToC.

I've accepted the fact that MOBI files are typically 2x as big as EPUBs but I'm confused about why Calibre is kicking it up 4x. Does anyone have any advice on this? At this point I would be happy with a 2x file size from Calibre.

Thanks!
Adam
Muckraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:16 PM   #2
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Can't help you with that, but try PNG also; for low color images, PNG sometimes compresses better than GIF. Unfortunately, Calibre also turns PNG into JPEG when converting to Mobi. Probably a bug?
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2012, 07:21 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I've accepted the fact that MOBI files are typically 2x as big as EPUBs but I'm confused about why Calibre is kicking it up 4x.
That doesn't line up with my experience at all. My MOBIs are almost always smaller than their ePub counterparts—granted, images aren't a big part of what I do, but still.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:59 PM   #4
Muckraker
Connoisseur
Muckraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Muckraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Muckraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Muckraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Muckraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Muckraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Muckraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Muckraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Muckraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Muckraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Muckraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
That doesn't line up with my experience at all. My MOBIs are almost always smaller than their ePub counterparts—granted, images aren't a big part of what I do, but still.
Hi DiapDealer.

If you wouldn't mind could you give me an idea of how your work flow goes?

I do everything in code view of Sigil, so I'm sure there is no bloat there. I go directly from Sigil to Calibre and do the EPUB To MOBI convert with standard settings.

Thanks!
Adam
Old 03-11-2012, 08:53 PM   #5
Muckraker
Connoisseur

Here's an interesting little side-note.

I did the 4MB EPUB to MOBI = 16MB MOBI
16MB MOBI (from above) to MOBI = 11MB MOBI

I don't get it.
Advert
Old 03-11-2012, 08:57 PM   #6
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
In my experience, text is more compact in MOBI than it usually is in ePub resulting in smaller files if, and only if, the ebook has only a minimal cover and includes a lot of text (novel +).

On the other hand, images don't seem to compress/compact as well in MOBI, at least when calibre does the ePub to MOBI conversion. The difference is largest when the images in the ePub are GIFs. When I build illustrated ebooks with a number of images to ePubs are usually smaller.

I recently built both ePub and MOBI version of The Rome Express by Griffiths that include a decent sized cover, one frontis JPEG image and two small images (GIF) on the title page along with an ornament (GIF) at the beginning of each chapter. The ePub is 248k and the MOBI is only slightly larger at 313k.

A similar pair that include a number of nearly full screen JPEG images, Three Men in a Boat by Jerome, have a much greater difference. The ePub is 1508k while the MOBI is over twice as large at 3462k.

A third example is Lysistrata by Aristophanes. Here, all of the illustrations, except the cover, are GIFs in the ePub. The MOBI version is nearly 3x the size of the ePub, 632k vs, 1853k.

You can download these books from my Lakemere Press site if you want to examine them.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:01 PM   #7
Muckraker
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
A third example is Lysistrata by Aristophanes. Here, all of the illustrations, except the cover, are GIFs in the ePub. The MOBI version is nearly 3x the size of the ePub, 632k vs, 1853k.
What appears to be happening is that it may not even matter what file type or size you put in. I think the conversion is taking the actual image pixel data and saving it as a jpeg with the highest quality compression. Here's why I think this:

I took my original EPUB with the larger gif file sizes--roughly 9MB. I ran that through Calibre and it came out to the same 15MB MOBI as when I converted the 4MB EPUB. I then did MOBI to MOBI on that file and it dropped down to 11MB just like the 4MB EPUB did.

It's just crazy that a 9MB and 4MB version of the same EPUB would both come out to be the same 15MB size MOBI.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:45 AM   #8
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Just for fun I did an experiment with Lysistrata. I took the same source ePub that I had fed to calibre for conversion to MOBI and fed it to Kindle Previewer 2 (aka Fire Previewer) so that its KindleGen2 engine would create a KF8 MOBI. These result was smaller than calibre's:

ePub source = 632k
calbre's MOBI = 1853k
KindleGen2 MOBI = 1404k
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:51 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre converts all images in MOBI to JPEG. And no, it's not a bug, various older MOBI renderers have problems with GIF and PNG. I always go for compatibility over size. That is not going to change.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:31 AM   #10
Muckraker
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
calibre converts all images in MOBI to JPEG. And no, it's not a bug, various older MOBI renderers have problems with GIF and PNG. I always go for compatibility over size. That is not going to change.
Hi Kovid,

I totally understand the compatibility thing. Do you have any recommendations for decreasing the file size of the Calibre image conversions? I've got 10k gifs but even when I save them as jpeg with 0 quality settings they are coming up at 30k+.

It's brutal because I'm looking at having to pay a $2.25 "delivery fee" for the 15MB MOBI of a $4.99 book.

-Adam
Old 03-12-2012, 11:45 AM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Use the free wifi delivery instead of the 3G one. Use @free.kindle.com as the email address. If you mean you want to upload a MOBI created with calibre, then there isn't anyway to do it, short of running calibre from source and changing the code.

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 03-12-2012 at 11:50 AM.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:52 AM   #12
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

How about making it a setting "convert images to jpeg for compatibility reasons", which defaults to on, but can be turned off? Otherwise you'll just have to switch to another mobi creation tool...

The MobileRead Wiki on Mobi file format doesn't mention any compatibility problems, instead it explicitely uses GIF in one of its examples.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:10 PM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
How about making it a setting "convert images to jpeg for compatibility reasons", which defaults to on, but can be turned off? Otherwise you'll just have to switch to another mobi creation tool...

The MobileRead Wiki on Mobi file format doesn't mention any compatibility problems, instead it explicitely uses GIF in one of its examples.
There are different flavors of GIF (transparency, animated....).
Some are fine.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:12 PM   #14
frostschutz
Linux User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Some are fine.
If they're fine, no sense in converting then…
Old 03-12-2012, 12:15 PM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
If they're fine, no sense in converting then…
You split the Quote attribution.

The issue is not knowing which GIF's are fine and which are not.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote