Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-23-2011, 12:17 AM   #166
Sher0808
Sher0808
Sher0808 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sher0808 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sher0808 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo
More fonts to choose from. Ability to make folders to separate books by Author on main page.
Sher0808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 12:25 AM   #167
Sher0808
Sher0808
Sher0808 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sher0808 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sher0808 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimr View Post
You can hold it in your left hand and 'swipe' rather than tap the left hand side of the page (right to left for forward advance and the reverse for backward). I'm not sure if this is a documented feature or not... I discovered it by accident and it works well by simply swiping my left thumb accross the page. Hope this helps!
this is mentioned in the help book. I am left handed and I find that this would really make my reading pleasure better. I somehow haven't got the knack for swiping yet....only accidentally worked for me once. I am noticing the lag sometimes in turning pages and then all of a sudden will do two. I have the latest software installed.
Sher0808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2011, 04:00 AM   #168
levil
levil began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
As for PDFs I actually like what I've seen so far and this is why I am considering buying. I read a lot of technical PDFs that are often really shitty when it comes to embedding text. Three columns and the embedded test is the first line for each columns, then the second line for each column Figures and tables get lost. Font size changes in the embedding. Total crap documents. So I like how the Kobo Touch shows me the document as is, lets me go landscape, zoom into a column and lets me navigate with tap and drag.

This being said, I did need to read a PDF document with decent embedded text and I had a Nook Touch here for two days. It was absolutely awesome to have it reflow to an epub style ebook.

So here's what I'd like to see. Keep your current PDF reader as default. But put a reflow option in its menu. This would be the best of both worlds.
levil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 10:31 PM   #169
Toastedpine
Connoisseur
Toastedpine doesn't litterToastedpine doesn't litter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sher0808 View Post
haven't got the knack for swiping yet....only accidentally worked for me once. I am noticing the lag sometimes in turning pages and then all of a sudden will do two. I have the latest software installed.
This happened to me as well until I kept in mind that the screen was divided into three columns. The surest way for it to work is to swipe from one column to another. Often times, I swiped vertically or not far enough.
Toastedpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 11:05 PM   #170
readingglasses
Zealot
readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.

Device: (prospective) kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
Hi Mercador,

For your other request, do you mean an English > French dictionary or French > French dictionary?
I may not be mercador but until mercador responds, let me ask:

are there any preliminary plans to increase the dictionary function of the touch?

Esp. seeing as it is to be, ultimately, a fairly international (or at least west european) marketed product,
will kobo be including something comparable to sony's multiple translation dictionaries?

will kobo further, be including translation dictionaries (or definition dictionaries) for languages beyond western europe? (russian, chinese, hindi, etc).

will kobo include these dictionaries on the standard device or will it be segregated by markets? (germany gets a german translation and/or definition dictionary, france, and maybe quebec, get french...).

Will kobo open up the format for the encrypted dictionary database and program or contract with publishers or authors, to allow either a kobo contracted commercial dictionary for sale in the kobo store that will run as an app or to allow individuals to create their own free dictionaries, based on need?

Last edited by readingglasses; 07-24-2011 at 11:09 PM.
readingglasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2011, 04:50 AM   #171
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
I would like to see the save Highlights function to work on Non-Kobo EPUB books.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:59 PM   #172
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post
  • Italics/Bold/Hyperlink bugs with rendering/interaction of side-loaded content.
  • No more page markings in the margins for side-loaded content.
  • Highlighting should work for both Kobo and side-loaded content.
  • Dictionary lookup should work for both Kobo and side-loaded content.
  • Shelf/Collection Support. Preferably in a way friendly to side-loaded content such that I may not have to create all the collections myself (tags in the eBook to auto-add them to shelves, perhaps?).
  • Notes attached to a highlight (this is very useful for reminding me why I highlighted a section of text).
  • I like the title/chapter title display for Kobo content, I'd like to see this on both side-loaded and Kobo content, but I'd prefer to see a page count for the whole book. The page count within the chapter should be configurable, as some of us care more about book progress and less about chapter progress.
  • It'd be nice to support the cover meta tag to grab the cover image. The nook uses this for sideloaded content to bypass having to render the cover page and hope it looks right, and just grab the raw image directly. Seems to make processing of new content a lot faster as well. Maybe revert to existing behavior if it isn't present.
  • EDIT: Bigger screensaver with the book cover. The percentage read and "Sleep Mode" text are a bit invasive and don't really add much to the experience. I'd be happy with the cover taking up most/all of the screen with an overlay (a la Nook) telling you how to wake your device.
So, looks like after 1.9.7, this is where my list stands. Not too shabby. Not entirely sure I want to repurchase one just yet, although the only ones that are really holding me back are #3 and #5 at this point. #8 would be a really nice to have, and seems like it might be easy enough to implement.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:03 PM   #173
exNookie
exNookie has learned how to buy an e-book online

I am an avid Android device user. Although I have been reading these forums for a long time, I have never posted here before. I just sold my Nook Color for various reasons, the biggest being that I prefer e-ink.

I think having a news app on the Kobo Touch such as Pulse (http://www.pulse.me/) or similar functionality would be a HUGE plus. I am surprised no one has mentioned this request. For me the most critical general features that an e-reader should have are as follows:

(1) The ability to read e-books
(2) The ability to read news stories

In my opinion email, Facebook, Twitter, browsing, texting, etc. are all secondary to the ability to read books and news. Those features would be great pluses, but they get into features which are typical of a tablet or smartphone.

Thanks for the great forum and all of the support the Kobo devs are bringing to the community.

EDIT: After more research I noticed that you can get newspapers on the KT which most people here probably know. I'm wondering why you're limited to paid newspapers and can't get free news like with other apps available on other devices. So I guess that means you're stuck with Calibre for newsprint.

Last edited by exNookie; 07-27-2011 at 12:28 AM.
exNookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:28 PM   #174
ne0b0rn
ne0b0rn began at the beginning.

1. Folders and Sub Folders for Organization
2. Ability upon power up to go straight back to the book and page I was on previously when I shut down.

Sorry if these have been addressed already, I don't have time to read the whole thread.

Perhaps someone can update the original post with a "updates requested so far" or something.
ne0b0rn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:59 PM   #175
cwspen
cwspen began at the beginning.

• Collections / Shelves / Whatever
  • Configurable touch-sensitive areas. If I'm reading the Touch in my left hand, it is a ROYAL pain to turn pages. It would be nice if it was user-selectable between the way it is now and something else. i.e. Top third goes "back", middle is the same, bottom third goes "forward." The only reason I bought the Touch is because I'm in Canada and it's too much of a pain to get the Nook, or I would have gotten that because of this.
cwspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 03:23 PM   #176
mogomo
mogomo began at the beginning.

I would like to be able to :

- search for text within the ebook (it is rather surprising that this feature is missing, actually); and

- zoom in on illustrations in the ebook. I am currently reading a book with a lot of maps and it's nearly impossible to make them out.
mogomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:07 PM   #177
khourianya
TechnoBookworm
khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Samsung Galaxy Tab, Kobo Glo, Kobo Mini
Twitter connectivity would be wonderful. I quit FB a year ago but would still like a way to share my Reading Life stuff with my twitter followers (Good reads would also be a great fit here...having a way to update my Good Reads progress info from my touch...)

Otherwise...each new update has brought more and more functionality that has me going "hmm - that's a great addition" so thanks for being so tuned into your audience, Kobo!
khourianya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:29 PM   #178
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
Some of download progress indication please.

I've used the browser several times to download epubs from calibre content server and web sites, and all I do is wait a few minutes, then hope that IF the cover appears on my "home" screen that it's really done. This is kind of important to me as I normally have mine in airplane mode to conserve batt, so I turn on airplane mode as soon as the book looks done purely through guessing that it is.

Google+ ... just torpedo the facebook junk...
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:35 PM   #179
SF&F Reader
Groupie
SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo Touch, Blackberry Playbook, Samsung Galaxy SII HD LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogomo View Post
- zoom in on illustrations in the ebook. I am currently reading a book with a lot of maps and it's nearly impossible to make them out.
+1

I do love books with maps
SF&F Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:46 PM   #180
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogomo View Post
I would like to be able to :

- search for text within the ebook (it is rather surprising that this feature is missing, actually); and

+1 on both of these!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote