Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 04-19-2010, 11:21 AM   #1
10tklz
Edge User

Gaining Root Access

I want to install other language fonts but apparently I need root access. I'm sure the need for root access will come up for many other reasons later on the more I play around. Anybody know how to do this?

Last edited by 10tklz; 04-21-2010 at 09:57 AM.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:12 PM   #2
devseev
Edge User

The eDGe is locked down such that you can't get root access unless you know the admin password. If Entourage were to allow owners to access root, they'd have a lot of headaches to deal with (users breaking their machines, security issues with running apps as root, protection of proprietary data, etc). On the other hand, giving root access to users would allow greater freedom to users and spur third-party development for the eDGe. If Entourage can find a way to manage the difficulties, I hope one day they would allow root (or super user) privileges, at least to developers.

As for specific issues like root access being required to install fonts, I hope that Entourage can provide an ad hoc solution, perhaps via a software update or the app market they've been working on.

Advert
Old 04-19-2010, 01:05 PM   #3
10tklz
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by devseev View Post
The eDGe is locked down such that you can't get root access unless you know the admin password. If Entourage were to allow owners to access root, they'd have a lot of headaches to deal with (users breaking their machines, security issues with running apps as root, protection of proprietary data, etc).
So... the same issues any company with any sort of computing device would have? I payed for this device, I own it and use it, nobody else. Why does someone else hold the administrative password? They could just as easily issue a EULA in which they disclaim all responsibility if I mess up my own edge. If I break it that's my problem.

Old 04-19-2010, 02:18 PM   #4
VenturingSoul
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10tklz View Post
So... the same issues any company with any sort of computing device would have? I payed for this device, I own it and use it, nobody else. Why does someone else hold the administrative password? They could just as easily issue a EULA in which they disclaim all responsibility if I mess up my own edge. If I break it that's my problem.
Exactly!!!

Old 04-22-2010, 12:47 AM   #5
keng2000
Edge User

Agree, One vote.

Advert
Old 04-22-2010, 07:44 PM   #6
rongoms
Edge User

10T, you should read the EULA a little more closely. you own the hardware and a LICENSE to use the software.

While I understand the desire of some people to immediately root their devices, most users are simply unaware of what come with that. While you might be willing to accept responsibility for bricking your device (though i think you'd still probably complain about it), most users would blame the company for their misfortunes.
With root comes custom ROMs, not far behind. With custom ROMs come the ability for someone to compromise your device and your network, not to mention banking details etc.

Full Disclosure - I'm the COO Of Nitrodesk Inc. We make an exchange client for Android devices called TouchDown. (which runs quite well on the eDGe, i must say). We simply cannot support custom ROMs because they are simply impossible to troubleshoot without being connected to a debugger. In one case, we found a little bit of code (in a VERY popular custom ROM for android phones) that was recording username and password information whenever it was input. want to guess what they were going to do with that?

I'm a fan of customization and ability to play with rooted devices, and like it or not, it's just a matter of time before someone roots the eDGe. let's just try not to Blame the fine folks at EnTourage when you have a nice shiny paperweight.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:43 PM   #7
10tklz
Edge User

You should read what I wrote a little more closely. I wasn't commenting on what the EULA *says*, but on what it *could* say. And your comment that I would probably still complain is dead on, complaining is one of my favourite pastimes. But when I complain I still take full responsibility for my actions. Your implied assumption that I wouldn't is... well... silly and mildly offensive. I am not interested in customization in order to "play" as you put it. I wish to add functionality which is important to me. And simply to take control of a device which I own. You also seem to think that as long as a system isn't "customized" it is safe from compromise. That is incorrect. Security through obscurity is hardly secure.

I find your tone to be rather rude as you go through your post making assumptions as to what I know, what I like, and what I am apt to do in future circumstances when things don't go my way. I bought what I consider to be a wonderful device from a company I respect. I believe in the benefits of free and open source software but I am not a proponent of "piracy" or "stealing". I am not a criminal. I also believe in the rights of a consumer to have ownership and control of products purchased. I understand that the industry as a whole does not agree with my perspective but so what? I bet we wouldn't agree on religion or politics either. My comments and suggestions should not have have sparked in you such a response any more than what people are posting under "feature requests", I feel that your comments regarding my character were completely out of line.

Old 04-23-2010, 01:29 AM   #8
rongoms
Edge User

Wow...You most definitely need to take a Valium or meditate or something.....

The only person who mentioned anything about piracy was you.

I'm happy to talk about adding functionality...I was simply pointing out that obtaining ROOT is a slippery slope on a consumer device. There's a reason that the software industry calls the EULA a "Click-thru".

Old 04-23-2010, 05:52 AM   #9
10tklz
Edge User

Then I apologize for overreacting.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:14 AM   #10
Gunnerp245
Edge User

Thumbs up

As others have mentioned, this is by far the most professional/cordial forum I have had the pleasure to use in many a year.

There maybe disagreements and misunderstandings, but everyone is mature in their postings.

Gunner...

Old 04-23-2010, 10:43 AM   #11
brauckmiller
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10tklz View Post
Have you ever worked in a support organization? Even if you state that 'rooting' is not supported and you are one your own, it will not stop a user from trying to get support for it. Me being a logical being, I completely understand the risks of rooting a device and if I "F" it up, I KNOW I can't go back to them and complain. The first thing I'd do is restore it to the factory image and retest. If the problem STILL persists, then I would feel justified in calling in for support.

That being said, how many "normal" users who were given root access would feel the same way EVEN WITH the disclaimer. My experience is very few actually see the logic in this.

I like what the OLPC (One Laptop Per Child" developers did. They allowed you to unlock the unit with a special key. This way, they have a record of you having elevated access and if you call in for help, they KNOW you could have screwed it up by going outside of the normal operations of the unit.

If enTourage implemented this for the more brave users, I'd be fine with that.

Just my 2 cents.

Craig

Old 05-07-2010, 09:12 PM   #12
Eddy R
Edge User

At 70+ I've been biting my tongue because Sara11918 is right. Read about the eDGe months ago and started reading forum. Held off because of 'Courier'. Received eDGe yesterday afternoon. Why would an experienced(very) MS sys person be interested in .....
..... the quality of the community that make up this forum. 'nough said'