Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-14-2010, 08:10 PM   #1
CameraTester
CameraTester began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch 3G
Question What settings do I use in Calibre for iPod Touch iBooks app? Read description.

I have a few different PDF ebooks, and I want to be able to read them on my iPod Touch/iPhone in either iBooks, Stanza, or another ebook reader.

I need to convert my PDF's into EPUB's so I can read them on my iPod Touch/iPhone.

When I use Calibre to convert the PDF's to EPUB (I already set it up for ipod touch/iphone when I set first installed Calibre) I tried leaving everything at default, changing settings, and other things to try to get my PDF's converted to EPUB's but when I finish converting them, and put them on my iPod touch, it doesn't look right at all. The sentences are split in the middle:

so it looks

like this when I'm

reading them.

And the table of contents is really messed up, Every chapter says it's on page 2.

Is there any way to get PDF's in the most perfect way possible for the iPod Touch/iPhone? I don't care which ebook reader app I use, just as long as it's free and preferably easy to use.

CameraTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 02:40 AM   #2
SUNJIB
SUNJIB began at the beginning.

Device: IPAD
Exactly, M facing the same Issue. I have a .PDF file with Dimension (540 x 612).
when I convert them using Calibre became 300 pages.

Note : I tried two procedure
procedure 1:
with all default settings
procedure 2:
In page setup, Output profile section I have selected IPAD .

Please response if any body has any solution.
SUNJIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2010, 03:00 AM   #3
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Make sure the line un-wrap factor under the pdf input conversion options is set to the default of 0.45, you can try out lower values to see if that does any better. It sounds like it might be set to 0 on your system, which is basically disabled.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 04:30 AM   #4
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Note that line unwrapping is really particular to each PDF file, not your system itself. PDFs are finicky and you will find that you need to tweak settings for every one you convert. Some like a larger unwrap factor. Some like a smaller unwrap factor. Most need individually customized regexes to remove header/footer bits. Many won't find chapters correctly and thus require a second pass through Sigil or another epub editor.

Also note that epubs don't technically have "pages" because there's no concept of a fixed page size (though there is a concept in the standard for virtual pages, but a single virtual page might span 3 or 4 actual "pages" on your reading device). Epubs are flowable, and they fit to whatever screen you're reading them on. A PDF that converts to 300 "pages" on an iPod-sized screen may only be 100 "pages" on an iPad. Don't judge your output quality by the number of "pages" result from the conversion. That's a meaningless metric. Judge the output quality based on the output quality. Did the lines unwrap correctly? Did the header/footer get removed correctly? Were headings and other formatting correctly preserved? Is the content readable?
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, ebook, iphone, ipod touch, read