Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-01-2017, 06:43 PM   #1471
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
I just noticed my Kobo Touch reader firmware was updated to 3-19-5761 dated 12/29/15 with much better library search function that is good enough for my use.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 05:27 AM   #1472
die
die can extract oil from cheesedie can extract oil from cheesedie can extract oil from cheesedie can extract oil from cheesedie can extract oil from cheesedie can extract oil from cheesedie can extract oil from cheesedie can extract oil from cheese

Device: kobo aura one
landscape orientation epub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
I miss page rotation (landscape) in ePubs, in the Aura.
I request the landscape orientation in kobo aura one for epub
die is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2017, 12:29 AM   #1473
tschucha
Zealot
tschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Kobo Sage
I request the ability to use the "My Books" screen as a Home Page.
tschucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 11:35 PM   #1474
gibletpie
Enthusiast
gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.gibletpie is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, Kobo Aura One
I request a "snap to word" option (or default) for highlighting. Seriously, how often does anyone need to highlight only a portion of a word?
gibletpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 02:28 AM   #1475
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibletpie View Post
I request a "snap to word" option (or default) for highlighting. Seriously, how often does anyone need to highlight only a portion of a word?
For me, often enough that I want an option to not snap to word. For all my devices, the highlighting does snap to the word. I can get it to stop in the middle of a long word, but, for shorter words, it's nearly impossible.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2017, 10:19 AM   #1476
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
For me, often enough that I want an option to not snap to word. For all my devices, the highlighting does snap to the word. I can get it to stop in the middle of a long word, but, for shorter words, it's nearly impossible.
Curious, what's the use case? For myself it probably doesn't matter one way or another as most of the time I highlight several words together and I start before and finish after the interesting part, so if the words preceding/following the highlight are chopped off it makes no difference. But I only use highlighting to mark typos and such in the books I bought so I can fix them later.
dmapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 10:51 AM   #1477
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmapr View Post
Curious, what's the use case? For myself it probably doesn't matter one way or another as most of the time I highlight several words together and I start before and finish after the interesting part, so if the words preceding/following the highlight are chopped off it makes no difference. But I only use highlighting to mark typos and such in the books I bought so I can fix them later.
That's my main use of highlighting and annotations as well. It doesn't happen that often, but, I have wanted to highlight an exact bit of text stopping in the middle of a word. When I try, the word-snap makes it very hard.
Old 06-12-2017, 11:14 AM   #1478
Avice
Zealot
Avice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Please bring back the Library Settings option that allows one to hide ebooks in the cloud and not on the device. I only keep the books I'm currently reading or about to read on my device and it's maddening scrolling through hundreds of "download from cloud" icons looking for books.
Avice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 12:45 PM   #1479
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
That feature is still there. I'll edit this post when I'm home and can look at the steps on my H2O, but it's definitely there.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 06:32 PM   #1480
jeromuhi
jeromuhi began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD/ ONE
Some things I would enjoy seeing in future iterations of the firmware:

1) Remove the games and web browser, I have not once used them, other than the browser, which I used once and it's novelty quickly faded.

2) Speed improvements. I've recently come from an Aura HD to the Aura ONE, while I understand refresh rates and limitations of the display, the part I do not understand is that the technical specs of the HD and One are virtually the same. 1GHz processor with 512mb RAM. Some optimizations and slimming of the code would seem to be something that the device would greatly benefit from. It's just a cringe when the device smoothly flips pages, but when your going back to the home screen it takes 8 seconds before it loads.

3) Allow us to remove things that we don't plan to use upon initial startup and go back and change things. My thinking behind this is if we disabled say Pocket, Good Reads, Social Media, items on the homescreen we never use and other plugins that sit idling in the background we might have a bit more speed and battery life when it comes down to it. Once again this hits feature request 1 again.

4) Better Comic/Manga support. This being series selection and the ability to smoothly flip from one volume or issue to the next based on it's series number. Lets say your reading along and get to the last page of Spiderman Issue 2 and flip the page. Currently it boots you back to the homescreen where you have to go back into either the collections or my books and find the issue you want to read next. It would be great if we could have the series metadata or even a series selection option, that upon flipping the last page of say issue 2 it would automatically load issue 3. Many Android apps have this same feature.
jeromuhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:04 PM   #1481
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeromuhi View Post
1) Remove the games and web browser, I have not once used them, other than the browser, which I used once and it's novelty quickly faded.

3) Allow us to remove things that we don't plan to use upon initial startup and go back and change things. My thinking behind this is if we disabled say Pocket, Good Reads, Social Media, items on the homescreen we never use and other plugins that sit idling in the background we might have a bit more speed and battery life when it comes down to it. Once again this hits feature request 1 again.
Your guess would be wrong. None of the features use any power unless you use them. If you don't sign into Pocket or Facebook, the device doesn't do anything except present them on menus in some places. These are plugin running all the time. They are built into nickel and get called as needed.

As to removing the games and browser because you don't like them, have a look at the number of posts about how to access the games running on the new devices that don't show them. And the complaints when someone finds a problem with the browser. People do want them.
Old 06-14-2017, 06:04 AM   #1482
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeromuhi View Post
Some things I would enjoy seeing in future iterations of the firmware:

2) Speed improvements. I've recently come from an Aura HD to the Aura ONE, while I understand refresh rates and limitations of the display, the part I do not understand is that the technical specs of the HD and One are virtually the same. 1GHz processor with 512mb RAM. Some optimizations and slimming of the code would seem to be something that the device would greatly benefit from. It's just a cringe when the device smoothly flips pages, but when your going back to the home screen it takes 8 seconds before it loads.

4) Better Comic/Manga support. This being series selection and the ability to smoothly flip from one volume or issue to the next based on it's series number. Lets say your reading along and get to the last page of Spiderman Issue 2 and flip the page. Currently it boots you back to the homescreen where you have to go back into either the collections or my books and find the issue you want to read next. It would be great if we could have the series metadata or even a series selection option, that upon flipping the last page of say issue 2 it would automatically load issue 3. Many Android apps have this same feature.
I say leave the games and web browser. I extremely seldom use them, but I don't mind them being there.

Remove Comic/Manga support. I have not used them once.

John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 07:32 AM   #1483
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Ugh. Please stop suggesting removing features. Especially ones that are buried and are easy to ignore. To someone, your unused feature is a critical feature without which the device is useless.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 07:39 AM   #1484
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I say leave the games and web browser. I extremely seldom use them, but I don't mind them being there.
The browser functionality comes in quite handy for looking things up on Google when the dictionary isn't helpful. The beta part is just the standalone interface; all of the underlying code has to be there anyway (because, y'know, that's how ebooks are displayed!), so why not make it user-accessible?

Plus, while mine's definitely an odd use case, I use the browser feature to grab copies of in-progress books from my wi-fi USB drive without having to fire up a computer. My complaint in that respect is how Kobo assumes that connecting to a network means you want to connect to the internet, which makes it impossible to connect the reader to a wireless LAN. Sure, that's usually a safe assumption, but not always! As a result, my "browse my USB drive" trick works at home (where the stick joins my home network and can be seen on it) but not on the go (where the stick is the hub for a LAN and there's no internet access). Not cool...
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 08:17 AM   #1485
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Also the browser is needed when accessing wifi at some public wifi hotspots.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
feature requests, firmware, kobo