Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Other Books

Notices

Old 09-01-2007, 04:04 PM   #1
jbenny
Addict
jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Tablet PC and Nokia N800
Burroughs, Edgar Rice: Barsoom Series. HTML

Sorry it took so long to finish this. I have been busy with other things. Here is the complete Barsoom (John Carter of Mars) series in simple HTML format. Either use as is, or convert to your favorite format. If you are looking for these in Mobipocket format, someone else has already posted them.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Barsoom (Mars) Series.zip (1.59 MB, 1249 views)

Last edited by jbenny; 09-01-2007 at 04:07 PM.
jbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 06:34 PM   #2
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenny View Post
Sorry it took so long to finish this. I have been busy with other things. Here is the complete Barsoom (John Carter of Mars) series in simple HTML format. Either use as is, or convert to your favorite format. If you are looking for these in Mobipocket format, someone else has already posted them.
Splendid. Thank you!

I had other versions converted for Plucker, but your HTML source is likely to be a lot better.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 04:55 PM   #3
jbenny
Addict
jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

You're welcome. I tried to be consistent with the HTML formatting of the entire series. I corrected lots of OCR errors (hopefully I got them all) and added em-dashes where appropriate. Nothing fancy, just the basics. If anyone finds more errors, let me know and I'll correct them.

Although some may classify these stories as juvenile adventures, I found them quite enjoyable. If I had read them when I was a kid, I don't think I would have gotten as much out of them. Burroughs has a way of telling a very good story.
Old 09-02-2007, 05:35 PM   #4
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
On Feedbooks: http://www.feedbooks.com/list/view/1
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 01:35 PM   #5
jbenny
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
Thank you for hijacking this thread to point to your books in non-HTML formats (again). We already knew that you had them available in those other formats. I posted these, as I thought others would prefer them in HTML, as I do.

When I originally inquired as to whether anyone would want these in HTML in another thread, you were the first to point out that they were available in other formats, as did others. It seems that the MobileRead groupies are biased toward the proprietary Sony and Mobipocket formats, instead of something like text or HTML, which is useabe on a wide variety of devices. Perhaps I shouldn't bother sharing any more HTML ebooks here, as it seems they aren't wanted.
Old 09-03-2007, 01:46 PM   #6
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Quote:
Thank you for hijacking this thread to point to your books in non-HTML formats (again). We already knew that you had them available in those other formats. I posted these, as I thought others would prefer them in HTML, as I do.

When I originally inquired as to whether anyone would want these in HTML in another thread, you were the first to point out that they were available in other formats, as did others. It seems that the MobileRead groupies are biased toward the proprietary Sony and Mobipocket formats, instead of something like text or HTML, which is useabe on a wide variety of devices. Perhaps I shouldn't bother sharing any more HTML ebooks here, as it seems they aren't wanted.
Well plain text is usable but lacks information, HTML is much better, and HTML with an extended set of tags for semantic information is even better.
Most people use BookDesigner here, so I guess that they're not biased against HTML at all, they use something that is almost exactly the same for BookDesigner (HTML0).
Old 09-03-2007, 01:53 PM   #7
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
When I originally inquired as to whether anyone would want these in HTML in another thread, you were the first to point out that they were available in other formats, as did others. It seems that the MobileRead groupies are biased toward the proprietary Sony and Mobipocket formats, instead of something like text or HTML, which is usable on a wide variety of devices. Perhaps I shouldn't bother sharing any more HTML ebooks here, as it seems they aren't wanted.
Hadrien misses no opportunity to promote his own site.

Meanwhile, count me as another who prefers HTML source. I can read it on desktop and laptop directly, convert it to Plucker for my Palm OS device, and fairly readily convert to other formats if needed.

Please continue to share HTML you've worked on. I for one appreciate it.
______
Dennis
Old 09-03-2007, 02:12 PM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Perhaps I shouldn't bother sharing any more HTML ebooks here, as it seems they aren't wanted.
As you say, HTML is one of the best formats if you want to avoid vendor lock-in. Some of the posters of e-books avoid HTML because it is easy for moochers to take the cleaned-up HTML, convert it to a DRMed format and charge for the result. They put in the work, so whatever restrictions they want are ok. This does not at all imply that you should not post HTML, and I encourage you to continue to do so. Thanks for the Barsoom series, it works very nicely with FBReader and, as DMcCunney mentioned, simple HTML is an excellent starting point for Plucker.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 02:27 PM   #9
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
As you say, HTML is one of the best formats if you want to avoid vendor lock-in. Some of the posters of e-books avoid HTML because it is easy for moochers to take the cleaned-up HTML, convert it to a DRMed format and charge for the result. They put in the work, so whatever restrictions they want are ok.
But following that logic, the folks in Distributed Proofreaders and at Project Gutenberg shouldn't do it, because moochers will grab their work, issue it in a different form, and attempt to sell it. They put in substantial work in cleanup, proofreading and editing, even if the material is in the public domain to begin with, and willingly donate their time and effort.

I can't agree with the folks who won't post HTML because they are afraid of moochers. I see the point as getting the material out there so others can get it. If you want to specifically do a conversion for a device you happen to have as a service to others using that device, fine. If you avoid posting in particular formats because you are afraid of moochers, I think you may be missing the point.

Quote:
This does not at all imply that you should not post HTML, and I encourage you to continue to do so. Thanks for the Barsoom series, it works very nicely with FBReader and, as DMcCunney mentioned, simple HTML is an excellent starting point for Plucker.
Simple HTML is the only starting point for Plucker.

There have been discussions on the Plucker dev list about expanding it to handle other formats like text, possibly through plugins, but that would require substantial changes to the underlying architecture of the applications. I'm not holding my breath...
______
Dennis

Last edited by DMcCunney; 09-03-2007 at 04:27 PM.
Old 09-03-2007, 04:10 PM   #10
andym
Groupie
andym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-books

I agree completely with DMcCunney.

xhtml is also the basis of the epub format, and it does seem a bit pointless to be uploading books in proprietary formats which will soon be overtaken by xhtml-based Open eBooks.
andym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 04:24 PM   #11
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by andym View Post

xhtml is also the basis of the epub format, and it does seem a bit pointless to be uploading books in proprietary formats which will soon be overtaken by xhtml-based Open eBooks.
The basis yes, but you have extra information in an epub files: the TOC for example. A simple conversion software for HTML to Epub won't provide the best Epub files that you could do, that's why you need to store these books in a database or using an extended HTML.
Old 09-03-2007, 04:33 PM   #12
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by andym View Post

The point to uploading books in proprietary formats is make them conveniently available for those who use devices that use those formats. Witness the efforts to generate ebooks in the format used by the Sony Reader and the format used by Mobipocket. Not everyone has the time, knowledge, or interest in performing their own conversions.

I see those efforts as valuable services, and applaud the folks doing it.

Yes, those proprietary formats may go away. I hope so, at least: not having a standard format everyone supports is a major obstacle to ebook usage. But meanwhile, they are there, and there are people using devices that use them, so...
______
Dennis