Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-09-2010, 09:52 PM   #16
neiljthomson
neiljthomson began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
I've had the same problem - full charge on new - 800 pages later (2 days) - dead. Recharge, no red light, running now for several days - only 10% discharge. Kobo has to better manage expectations and fix their actions on power low/empty and charge indication (when charged) or the "main stream" is just going to return the unit as defective.
neiljthomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 09:57 PM   #17
karenv
karenv began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Reader, iPhone
I can't see how much battery life I have left! The first couple of times I had the reader plugged in, it showed up under the "Bookshelves" and included battery life and memory but now all I get is a "Kobo Reader" icon with no info. Can anyone make a suggestion?
Thanks.
karenv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 10:27 PM   #18
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Have you tried resetting it (paper clip to depress the switch in the tiny hole in the back cover)?
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 10:29 PM   #19
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neiljthomson View Post
Kobo has to better manage expectations and fix their actions on power low/empty and charge indication (when charged) or the "main stream" is just going to return the unit as defective.
Of course one never likes to think of oneself as, well, "main stream," but I'm pretty sure I'm going to return mine for this reason.
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 12:00 AM   #20
karenv
karenv began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Reader, iPhone
@Corona-Yes, I have reset it and I can now see how much memory I have but how much battery life I still have eludes me.
karenv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 12:19 AM   #21
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
It usually shows up in the bottom of the menu panel when you open the menu. I'd like to see it always along the bottom, with the chapter info.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 05:20 PM   #22
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I last charged my Kobo on Friday and was trying to see how long the battery would last. Last night I my battery meter was showing 90% charged. I'd probably made more than a thousand page turns probably closer to 1500 since Friday. I was reading this morning (battery still showing 90%) and the Kobo froze. After recharging it for several hours the battery is back at 100%. Hopefully, this time the battery meter will be more accurate.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:32 AM   #23
Bittybye
Addict
Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T2
I'm having 2 small problems with my Kobo

This is my first time charging (other than when I first got it) and despite the fact that I plugged it in for 6 hours the little red light hasn't gone off.

Also despite the fact that I've 'ejected' the Kobo the screen still has the message to safely unplug I should eject it.
Bittybye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:19 AM   #24
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
You get the same message as long as the Kobo is plugged in. If you have done the software eject for your computer, and it hasn't put up any errors, go ahead and unplug the cable.

You even get the same message if you plug in a USB charger!

Does this help? Or do you still have a problem?
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:55 PM   #25
lchen
Connoisseur
lchen began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo EReader
I'm hoping that the next firmware release allows us to read while having a usb cable plugged in (ie. a usb power only cable).

Peace and God bless.
lchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 03:20 PM   #26
Duiker
Addict
Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
My battery is dead. It was fully charged a few days ago and I have only read about 300 pages since then. One thing I have noticed though is that when I pull the reader out of my bag the menu button has often been pushed. Now if I assume it has been pushed and stayed that way that would certainly explain the power drain. Which leads me to my next question, WHO MAKES A READER WITH RAISED BUTTONS, HAS NO LOCK OPTION AND DOESN'T SELL CASES FOR IT???? C'mon Kobo this is pretty basic stuff. I have no interest in powering off my device every time I put it away. Maybe if the boot time was quick but it's not.
Duiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 03:41 PM   #27
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you slide the power button on the top of the Kobo Reader to the right for about 3-5 seconds it will display your book cover and lock the buttons until you slide the power button to the right and hold for 3-5 seconds.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:43 PM   #28
Duiker
Addict
Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
If you slide the power button on the top of the Kobo Reader to the right for about 3-5 seconds it will display your book cover and lock the buttons until you slide the power button to the right and hold for 3-5 seconds.
You mean the kindle not the Kobo. The kobo has no slider.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:45 PM   #29
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia

Yes, it does. On the white version there is a blue button on the top. You don't slide it but push it. The slider is on the Kindle and the Sony. You still push it and hold for several seconds to lock the menu and side buttons.

Last edited by TallMomof2; 05-12-2010 at 03:53 PM. Reason: push instead of slide
Old 05-12-2010, 03:58 PM   #30
Duiker
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
Yes, it does. On the white version there is a blue button on the top. You don't slide it but push it. The slider is on the Kindle and the Sony. You still push it and hold for several seconds to lock the menu and side buttons.
That's powering it off. It displays the cover when powered off. I don't want to do that as it takes too long to boot. I'm sure a decent cover would solve this problem. One with an indent to keep the blue button from having any pressure on it.