Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-10-2009, 08:45 AM   #1
jenieliser
Groupie
jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2019, Kobo Libra H2O
Historical Fiction Suggestions

I'm trying to find a good historical fiction with a love story in it. (not "historical romances"-if there's a picture of a half naked renaissance (sp?) woman on the cover-not my thing)

I'm leaning toward something more along the lines of Pride and Prejudice or Wuthering Heights...

Any suggestions?
jenieliser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 09:42 AM   #2
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
Have you read any Georgette Heyer? Much lighter in tone than the examples you gave, but she was known for her meticulous background research. And if you liked P& P, Trollope might appeal, although his books are Victorian rather than Regency.
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:36 AM   #3
kilohertz53
Zealot
kilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-350, Augen "The Book"
Off the top of my head:

If you're into the Tudor period, Philippa Gregory has thoroughly mined that vein. For an earlier period of English history, anything by Sharon Kay Penman is worthwhile. Into Renaissance Italy? Try Leonardo's Swans by Karen Essex.
kilohertz53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:44 PM   #4
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Take a look at www.bewrite.net and see if anything catches your eye, Jennie. Then drop me a line and I'd be happy to send the ebooks to you as a wee Christmas present (ntmarrATbewrite.net [use the @ sign]). I think two that might really appeal to a lover of (non sloppy) well researched, grippingly written, historical fiction might be *Treason* and *The Playmakers*, but there are others on our site. Take your pick. Very best. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:55 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenieliser View Post
I'm trying to find a good historical fiction with a love story in it. (not "historical romances"-if there's a picture of a half naked renaissance (sp?) woman on the cover-not my thing)

I'm leaning toward something more along the lines of Pride and Prejudice or Wuthering Heights...

Any suggestions?
I assume you mean books similar to "Pride and Prejudice" and "Wuthering Heights" because, if you haven't read those, you should immediately drop everything else and do so.

Neither, however, are "Historical Fiction", since that title is generally reserved for books set in a time prior to their writing. Both of these books describe the society that was contemporary for their authors, and so can't really be called "Historical Fiction".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 01:04 PM   #6
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Well, you might like "Pillars of the Earth". There is a strong romance component to the novel, however that is only one element of the plot. Are you looking for something that is "all" romance, i.e. the plot is only focused around romance? (Sorry I might not be making much sense...)
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 01:07 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
Well, you might like "Pillars of the Earth". There is a strong romance component to the novel, however that is only one element of the plot. Are you looking for something that is "all" romance, i.e. the plot is only focused around romance? (Sorry I might not be making much sense...)
"Pillars of the Earth" is one of the best books I've ever read. I'd second the recommendation, although it's not really a romance novel in the way that, say, "Pride and Prejudice" is. It is, however, a truly wonderful book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 01:12 PM   #8
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Among my favorite historical fiction are the Flashman series by George MacDonald Fraser. He borrowed the Harry Flashman character from the novel 'Tom Brown's School Days' and has placed him at the center of momentous events in Victorian Britain such as the Charge of the Light Brigade, Sacking of the Summer Palace and the Retreat from Kabul. He even has him in the US in a couple of novels.

Very funny while at the same time, very historically accurate.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 01:18 PM   #9
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Yup, Cassidym; all the Flashman novels are ripping, romantic yarns -- Flashman's one of the most attractive villains in fiction, and Fraser knows how to kennly research without lumbering his reader with an information overload. Quite brillians work. And I'd certainly be with Harry and Latina in recommending *Pillars of the Earth* and the sequel, *World Without End*. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:09 PM   #10
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
I agree with the others about Ken Follet's Pillars of the Earth and A world without end, but the first one coming to my mind, when reading your post was The Touch by Colleen McCollough. I have read that 3 times.

http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/b1...n-McCullough/?
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:41 PM   #11
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
What historical period and country interests you?

Some suggestions (that are not romance in disguise):

Edit: I just realised you still wanted a love story....

Rose by Martin Cruz Smith
'Fingersmith' and 'Affinity' by Sarah Waters
Any book by Judith Merkle Riley except the last three - they're humour, it might not be what you are looking for?
'Possession' by Antonia Byatt
In the Company of the Courtesan by Sarah Dunant (BTW, even if there actually *is* half-naked woman on the cover (I just realised), it's not 'romance', so don't diss it bec. of the cover )
edit, added: 'Girl with a pearl earring' by Tracy Chevalier

Moved these out of the way. Good historical novels, but not love stories:
Colleen McColloughs 'Master's of Rome' series
Roanoke by Margaret Lawrence
Lempriere's Dictionary by Lawrence Norfolk
'A Conspiracy of Paper' and 'The Coffee Trader' by David Liss
The Blood Doctor by Barbara Vine
The Crimson Petal and the White by Michael Faber
The Physician by Noah Gordon

Last edited by Ea; 12-10-2009 at 04:01 PM.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:53 PM   #12
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
What historical period and country interests you?

Some suggestions (that are not romance in disguise):

Edit: I just realised you still wanted a love story....

Rose by Martin Cruz Smith
'Fingersmith' and 'Affinity' by Sarah Waters
Any book by Judith Merkle Riley except the last three - they're humour, it might not be what you are looking for?
'Possession' by Antonia Byatt
In the Company of the Courtesan by Sarah Dunant (BTW, even if there actually *is* half-naked woman on the cover (I just realised), it's not 'romance', so don't diss it bec. of the cover )

Moved these out of the way. Good historical novels, but not love stories:
Colleen McColloughs 'Master's of Rome' series
Roanoke by Margaret Lawrence
Lempriere's Dictionary by Lawrence Norfolk
'A Conspiracy of Paper' and 'The Coffee Trader' by David Liss
The Blood Doctor by Barbara Vine
The Crimson Petal and the White by Michael Faber
The Physician by Noah Gordon
I second Fingersmith, I really liked it. I JUST picked up Lempriere's Dictionary, and have been looking forward to reading it for a while. I am glad to see you mention it. After I am done think I will check out some of these other books that you've mentioned. Cheers.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:59 PM   #13
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
I second Fingersmith, I really liked it. I JUST picked up Lempriere's Dictionary, and have been looking forward to reading it for a while. I am glad to see you mention it. After I am done think I will check out some of these other books that you've mentioned. Cheers.
If you like Lempriere's Dictionary, try 'A Conspiracy of Paper' by David Liss. 'Fingersmith' is brilliant.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:59 PM   #14
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
the "Outlander" series by Diana Gabaldon. You either love 'em or hate 'em. Many adore them!! This is one series where it *really* matters that you start at the beginning tho.
I didn't; hated & didn't finish it; started the series later un-knowingly, and wondered why that middle book sounded so familiar (up to where I had quit it). Yummy historical view!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:04 PM   #15
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
the "Outlander" series by Diana Gabaldon. You either love 'em or hate 'em. Many adore them!! This is one series where it *really* matters that you start at the beginning tho.
I didn't; hated & didn't finish it; started the series later un-knowingly, and wondered why that middle book sounded so familiar (up to where I had quit it). Yummy historical view!
I'd definitely say these are romance in disguise. I like them myself because I think they're fun, entertaining, light reading, but the books fits comfortably within 'historical romance' IMHO.