Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-21-2009, 09:28 PM   #1
DesiLinguist
Computational Linguist
DesiLinguist doesn't litterDesiLinguist doesn't litter

Device: iLiad BE, iPhone, Kindle DX
iLiad Device Support

I apologize in advance if this has already been discussed but I couldn't find anything either in these forums or in the list of Calibre tickets. I understand that the iRex iLiad is not supported natively by Calibre. However, the user manual states that with the 'Save to Disk' option, Calibre can be used to send files to devices that show up as USB mass storage devices. I have a couple of questions:

(1) If I just say 'Save to Disk' and select the directory on which iLiad is mounted, then I guess it would create the Author -> Title -> Bookfile hierarchy in that directory as well? So, may be I should do 'Save to Disk in Single Directory'? Also, I would like to know why there are parenthesized roman numerals attached to each file name that Calibre imports, e.g., '(28)'. I ask because I don't want these numbers to show up when I send the file to my iLiad. I don't see any option to strip off such numbers in the preferences.

(2) Is native support for the iLiad planned for Calibre?

Thanks in advance! I love Calibre (especially the 'fetch metadata' and 'fetch cover image' features) and really want to use it for managing my iLiad!
DesiLinguist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 09:39 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Use the save single format to disk (after setting your single format to MOBI or PRC in the config dialog.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 09:46 PM   #3
DesiLinguist
Computational Linguist

Hmm, but that won't work for PDF files, right? Unless, of course, I convert them to MOBI first? And I don't want to do that because it's a whole lot nicer to read PDFs on the iLiad than it is MOBI/PRC files.

I guess I have to manually edit the name to remove the parenthesized numerals after I send the files to the iLiad.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:11 PM   #4
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesiLinguist View Post
Hmm, but that won't work for PDF files, right? Unless, of course, I convert them to MOBI first? And I don't want to do that because it's a whole lot nicer to read PDFs on the iLiad than it is MOBI/PRC files.

I guess I have to manually edit the name to remove the parenthesized numerals after I send the files to the iLiad.
It will work for PDF files. Just use "Save to disk in a single directory". I just tried it.
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:28 AM   #5
DesiLinguist
Computational Linguist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverClothe View Post
It will work for PDF files. Just use "Save to disk in a single directory". I just tried it.
Oh, it works absolutely fine in terms of putting the file in the directory. I was curious if there was a way to strip the parenthesized roman numerals that get appended to the name of the file that's saved.

Thanks!
Old 02-23-2009, 05:36 AM   #6
Format C:
Guru
Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad + PRS-505 + Kindle 3
I released in the iLiad forum here a python script to create a manifest xml file for the Iliad.
If you run it, your book will show on the Content Lister with the cover as icon, the book title as name, and the author as description, whatever the filename is.
I think you can easily integrate it into calibre, if you want.
Format C: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 05:38 AM   #7
Format C:
Guru
Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad + PRS-505 + Kindle 3
Here's the link:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ight=mobi2dirs
Format C: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 01:19 PM   #8
riccioberto
riccioberto began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad
Is there any fundamental reason for leaving iLiad direct support out of the calibre development plans? My question is obviously directes to Kovid, who made a really extraordinary work with calibre, IMHO one the best open source projects around at the moment. I sincerely don't understand why iLiad has not been included so far in the list of supported e-reader devices - I suspect the motivation could be technical, I can't see any other reasons.
riccioberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 01:32 PM   #9
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by riccioberto View Post
Is there any fundamental reason for leaving iLiad direct support out of the calibre development plans? My question is obviously directes to Kovid, who made a really extraordinary work with calibre, IMHO one the best open source projects around at the moment. I sincerely don't understand why iLiad has not been included so far in the list of supported e-reader devices - I suspect the motivation could be technical, I can't see any other reasons.
Yes. No one who owned an Iliad has run the following command, and posted the output:

calibre-debug -d

Plug your Iliad in first.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:09 PM   #10
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by riccioberto
Is there any fundamental reason for leaving iLiad direct support out of the calibre development plans?
Who said anything about it not being in the development plans? My goal is to support every device that has a subforum here. iLiad support is going to come eventually but it's going to be a bit for a few reasons. No one working on Calibre owns an iLiad. This makes it the information gathering and testing process longer. It's a bit more complicated to add support than the Kindle and Cybook. This is due to the manifest xml. I haven't done very much research yet into other things that need to be handled. Also, right now Calibre is going though some major re-factoring. Meaning I don't want to take the time to add support for a new device right now because when the re-factoring is finished I will have to port the code the new system. I haven't been following the re-factoring much so I don't know how much work this will entail. Even if it is minimal I would rather code to the new interface than code and have to recode. Until the re-factoring is done I would rather spend my time completing other things on my todo list.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 02:01 AM   #11
animedude01
Addict
animedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheese

Device: DR1000S, ILIAD2, Nokia n900, Kindle for PC, Astak EZReader Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Yes. No one who owned an Iliad has run the following command, and posted the output:

calibre-debug -d

Plug your Iliad in first.
I've attached the listing from my run of calibre-debug -d with my Irex DR1000S plugged into my Windows machine. I'll get the same for Linux and my Iliad 2nd Ed. in Windows and Linux when I get the chance. Someone else will have to do Mac as I don't yet have access to one.
Attached Files
File Type: txt calibre-debug-dr1000s-windows.txt (1.1 KB, 350 views)
animedude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 01:58 AM   #12
animedude01
Addict
animedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheese

Device: DR1000S, ILIAD2, Nokia n900, Kindle for PC, Astak EZReader Pro
Talking

Yay! The new versions have Iliad and DR1000 support!
animedude01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
iliad