Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old Today, 06:10 AM   #91
azynheira
azynheira began at the beginning.

Device: AURA H20
Hello All,
I dont know if you have seen this issue, but after upgrading I find it very difficult to connect successfully to Calibre. 90% of the times, it just fails with the following message:
calibre, version 2.85.1
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

CantOpenError: unable to open database file

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 88, in run
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 511, in _books
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/kobo/driver.py", line 1737, in books
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/kobo/driver.py", line 161, in device_database_connection
CantOpenError: CantOpenError: unable to open database file

It detects it correctly as Aura H20 but the connection to the database almost always fails.

Have you seen this ?

Kind Regards,
Pedro
azynheira is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Today, 06:13 AM   #92
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Looks like you might have a corrupt database. Try logging out and logging back in.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:20 AM   #93
azynheira

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Looks like you might have a corrupt database. Try logging out and logging back in.
Just know it worked! I took the chance to do a 'check database' in calibre and the result was
"Result of running 'PRAGMA integrity_check' on database on the Kobo device:

ok"

So it seems to be ok!

Dont understand ...
Old Today, 06:23 AM   #94
azynheira

Quote:
Originally Posted by azynheira View Post
Just know it worked! I took the chance to do a 'check database' in calibre and the result was
"Result of running 'PRAGMA integrity_check' on database on the Kobo device:

ok"

So it seems to be ok!

Dont understand ...
Just disconnected and reconnected and it does not work anymore!
Old Today, 09:47 AM   #95
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Touch, Glo, Aura H2O, Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by azynheira View Post
Just disconnected and reconnected and it does not work anymore!
The "CantOpenError" error can mean something other than a corrupted database. What OS are you using? And do you have an SD card in the external slot when it doesn't work?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:58 AM   #96
azynheira

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The "CantOpenError" error can mean something other than a corrupted database. What OS are you using? And do you have an SD card in the external slot when it doesn't work?
Hi,
Yes, the scenario is always the same, connect the USB cable, press 'Connect' on the KOBO's screen and either I have calibre already running or not.

If if works, it always works, no matter if I kill calibre and restart it, but if it does not work, it will never work.

I found that rebooting the device, worked for me, once. I dont know if it was a coincidence or not.

BTW I am using MACOSX and yes, I always have an SD card inserted at all times.

Thanks,
Pedro
Old Today, 11:32 AM   #97
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Wife: Touch, Arc, Vox Me: Nexus 7, Glo
@azynheira What version of calibre are you using?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:41 AM   #98
azynheira

It was in the first post ... calibre, version 2.85.1 :-)
Old Today, 02:16 PM   #99
Cootey
Enthusiast
Cootey is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Cootey is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Cootey is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Cootey is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Cootey is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Cootey is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Cootey is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Cootey is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Cootey is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Cootey is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Cootey is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kobo Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've found a bug with the light for my H2O. I can use the slider on the left side of the screen to get ti down to 1%. But I cannot get it to turn off. I have to use the slider to go from 1% to 0. Previosuly, I could use the left side light control to get down to 1% and then another slide to 0. Now it's 1% and then the slider from 1% to 0.
I can verify the same behavior on my KA1.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:20 PM   #100
Cootey
Enthusiast
Cootey is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Cootey is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Cootey is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Cootey is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Cootey is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Cootey is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Cootey is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Cootey is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Cootey is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Cootey is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Cootey is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kobo Aura ONE
As a follow up to the highlighting bug I've run into, I've found a workaround. If I select the entire one sentence paragraph, I can't highlight it. However, if I select everything but the last period, then I can highlight it. The exception to this is if the initial highlight action stopped short of the final period. Then shifting the selection to include the final period will allow me to highlight that one sentence paragraph. Isn't that strange? It seems to be a bug related to the less than accurate selection process.

Update: it's possible this is just a general bug in the highlighting process that I've noticed with these one sentence paragraphs. There are other instances where I cannot highlight. The control handles are buggy, cumbersome things. The whole highlighting processes is clumsy compared to the kobo iOS app which I have years of experience with. It's also clumsy compared to my Kindle, though that, too, is more difficult than highlighting with an iOS app. Regardless, it is the one sentence paragraphs of any length that are giving me trouble.

Last edited by Cootey; Today at 02:41 PM.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote