Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-22-2013, 01:17 PM   #1
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Cover display between device and SD Card

I finally decided to try the Kobo Glo, and while I'm still not certain I'll keep it or not as a second reader when I need the light, there's a few things that just don't seem right and wonder if I'm doing something wrong.

Covers in books that are not 800x600 or at least that 4:3 resolution will still display correctly when they're on the device and fill the screen when in sleep mode, and fill the rectangle for the cover on the basic start page where the 5 covers show.

If you move that identical book onto the SD card though, the cover now appears with white borders on the home page and also while in sleep mode.

On the picture showing the problem, 2 of the other books that do not have 800x600 covers are on the device itself. The other one is on the SD card but the cover is 800x600.

Why this quirky change in the cover display? I'd be satisfied if there was a way to turn off the reader from scanning the SD card and just carry a copy of the library on the SD card (in fact I'd prefer this option, the SD card is slow populating covers each time). Or if there's no solution other than editing every book for the Kobo to be 800x600, maybe just carry the SD card around with me in my wallet will be the answer (I have a feeling this will end up being the solution).

While I don't care about having an SD card, I don't keep more than around 100-150 with me anymore, it sounded like a good idea in case the reader ever locks up while you're out (reader locked up within the first hour for no reason, connecting it to the PC with the USB cord unlocked it though without resetting). Having to reset it while out means your books are either deleted if you don't use the SD card, or are still safe if they're on the SD card.

And that godawful banner across the top while in sleep mode is hideous. Is there anyway to get rid of it, some setting I've missed I hope?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08062b.JPG
Views:	307
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	104791  
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:29 PM   #2
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
I don't use an SD card so I don't know if I've got this completely right.

As far as I know, for books on the SD card the Kobo creates the thumbnail itself by extracting Page 1. I think it always maintains correct aspect ratio so if your cover isn't 3:4 you'll get the dreaded white stripes.

For books in internal memory if you're transferring books via Calibre then the KoboTouch driver (also covers Kobo Glo) allows you to configure whether to keep aspect ratio or not and also whether you want Calibre to create the thumbnails and send them to the Kobo when you send the books. If you don't 'keep aspect' and ask Calibre to upload covers then Calibre will create the thumbnails (3 per book) as 3:4 and send them, i.e. the Kobo will no longer need to extract the thumbnails.

I'm not sure I've explained that very well.

I don't know whether davidfor is planning to do more work on the Calibre device interface plugin so that SD book thumbnails work just like internal memory ones. Based on past experience if it's technically possible he'll do as much as he can for everyone.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:33 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I don't know whether davidfor is planning to do more work on the Calibre device interface plugin so that SD book thumbnails work just like internal memory ones. Based on past experience if it's technically possible he'll do as much as he can for everyone.
From earlier posts, he is working on that. With 2.5.0 firmware, some of the sleep images looked very odd. On my Glo, I replaced a couple of them with the correctly sized images and they looked fine again but not planning on doing that for 1500+ books manually. At least, the images will now be cached on the SD card so they will only need to be generated once.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:36 PM   #4
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
I have a few book covers like that.

You may have to edit the cover using Sigil to get it as full size.

Set the cover image width and height as 100%.
RZetlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:37 PM   #5
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
And that godawful banner across the top while in sleep mode is hideous. Is there anyway to get rid of it, some setting I've missed I hope?
Oops, I forgot to answer this bit. I don't like the banner much either

You can try changing Settings - Light,Sleep&Power and uncheck the 'Full screen' box at the bottom of the page. The current cover screensaver will then be a bit smaller and the banner is now above the cover rather than across it. You never know, it might be the lesser of 2 evils for you.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:24 PM   #6
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Having larger white areas around the cover would be much worse to me (I don't even like when the SD card shows the white on the sides of the images).

I didn't want to have to edit almost 2k books either to adjust the covers. Even books where the cover page is set to 100% height and width and perspective ratio is set to none still will show the odd format covers differently when on the SD card. Only true 3:4 aspect ratio will show correctly, and haven't been able to figure out another way.

Is there no way on the Glo to include the SD card, but to have the reader ignore it unless you tell it to scan the card?
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:09 PM   #7
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

From what DNSB said I would hold fire on doing anything. It's only since fw 2.5 was released (last week?) that thumbnails for SD card books were saved at all. Prior to that the Kobo regenerated them every time they were required - always with aspect ratio retained. As there hasn't been a calibre release since fw2.5 was available we don't know what davidfor has already managed to do with the calibre device driver. I'd see what happens with the next calibre release, hopefully Friday.

...It won't make the screensaver banner go away, though.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:03 AM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Basically everything the others have said is correct.

The covers images are generated from the first page of the book. That means if that page is displayed with borders around the actual cover, the image will have borders.

Calibre can send the covers to the device, but, only for the main memory (and you appear to be using this option). The reason for this is that the firmware didn't save the generated cover image for books on the SD card and generated them each time they were needed. This changed in FW2.5.0 and the driver was updated last week. Unfortunately last week was only the second week since I have been using calibre that there wasn't a release. There should be one this week. Which should also support the Aura HD.

When calibre is sending the covers, it sends the cover image from the library. This might not be the cover in the book. And there are three options. "Black and white" is obvious (I hope). The "keep aspect ratio" means that when the cover is resized for the device, the aspect ratio is respected. The device also respects this aspect ratio. If just the send option is used, the cover is resized to the sizes the device uses. This means they could be stretched in one direction.

There is a problem with FW2.5.0. For some reason, the quality of the covers for the SD card is a lot lower than for the main memory.

As jackie_w said, the power off/sleep banner can only be changed by the options in the settings.

And I don't know of a way to have the SD card ignored when it is in the device. While I have one in my devices, I don't have many books in them. It is mainly there for testing. Actually, thinking about it, if you enable telnet access, you could probably unmount the card from there. And maybe the plugin or launcher could issue the commands. Have a look in the developer sub-forum for these. I don't use them, so I'm not sure.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:15 AM   #9
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Apparently others have noted that the covers generated for books stored on the SDHC card may be blurry or of lower than desired resolution, so it may be an area they'll be working on for a future update. I'm not really defending Kobo, but it is a new feature concerning caching images on the SDHC, so maybe a little in the way of growing pains is to be expected. OTOH, you'd assume most of the code would have just gotten ripped out of the working code for internal storage and have been reused, or perhaps with a modular approach just pointed at the proper storage location...
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:07 AM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I don't understand the lower quality covers on the SD card either. It should have been using the same code but with a different destination. And if they reduced the quality to save space, it would be more sensible to do that in the main memory. I'd expect most people putting in a external SD card would be using a large card with plenty of space.

Can someone with and Aura confirm what the covers look like for books on the SD card? With the higher resolution, these could look really bad.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:38 AM   #11
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Yeah, it's a little hinky, but then we're trying to ascribe logic to the "Kobo Koders...." Ok, that was mean, consider me duly chastised. Phew. Who knew self flagellation was so much work?
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote