Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-17-2013, 02:27 PM   #46
brudigia
Evangelist
brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPAD AirPro M1 12.9, Kindle Scribe, Kobo Elipsa, iPhone XV
Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
I'm still having this problem with indexing. Namely that it stops at a "problem" book and won't continue. I've tried loading a few at a time but it's particular books not the amount that cause the problem.

Trouble is I haven't found a way to identify which books cause the problem so I'm left with the task of adding one book at a time and checking whether it indexes ok. I haven't got time to do that.

So I live with it - which is a shame because I actually find the search one of the most useful parts of having an ereader.
I had the same problem, that is why I started the thread. But I have not been able to understand what caused the problem. Clearly hundreds of books at one time was too much. But sometimes also 20-30 books were a problem. A number of times I was able to go on just restarting the Kindle. For some reasons, ebooks which were stuck for 3-4 hours, after a restart were cleared quickly.
Why this happens, I haven' t the foggiest idea.
Hope this practical suggestion can help.
brudigia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:44 PM   #47
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
I did a "big indexing test" today: removed all the books and index files from the K3, which needed a bit of housekeeping anyway after 2 1/2 years and moved about 650 books in one go from Calibre back to the device. It's now about 10 hours later and everything has indexed properly without problems. As usual, the Kindle was mostly left alsleep and plugged into the wall charger while it was working its socks off (I just checked every hour that the number of books left to index was reducing).

Maybe *something* in some books causing random issues for some people?

Last edited by Yolina; 02-17-2013 at 04:17 PM.
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:16 PM   #48
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
I've never had any problems with my Kindle Keyboard only with the Kindle Touch.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:19 PM   #49
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Ah, maybe something in the Touch software then? Both my K3 and PW have not had any problems with indexing, but then that could just be luck more than anything else.
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:08 PM   #50
Ladyhenry
Ladyhenry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyhenry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyhenry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyhenry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyhenry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyhenry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyhenry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyhenry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyhenry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyhenry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyhenry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard, Kindle touch
My Kindle touch stopped indexing and I did a reset. That fixed the issue. I put about 1200 books on at once and it seemed to stop indexing. Once I did the reset everything indexed quickly.
Ladyhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:58 AM   #51
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Not the same issue (I only ever load a small number of books at the one time), but I've been finding that books loaded via Calibre using the send to device option won't index unless I reboot my Kindle. Strangely, using the save to disc option to save them onto the Kindle doesn't have this problem.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:49 AM   #52
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
Not the same issue (I only ever load a small number of books at the one time), but I've been finding that books loaded via Calibre using the send to device option won't index unless I reboot my Kindle. Strangely, using the save to disc option to save them onto the Kindle doesn't have this problem.
I always use "send to device" and my Paperwhite doesn't have a problem with indexing. I never owned a Kindle 3 though (if you were talking about your K3).
Joy736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:42 AM   #53
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes it's my K3. I've pretty much always loaded my books this way without any issues, but for some reason it's now stopped indexing them unless I reboot the Kindle - then they index just fine. I tried the 'Save to Disc' option instead and it seems to work ok, but I asked about it in the Calibre forum and Kovid replied that there is no real difference between the two. So why one works and the other doesn't, who knows? But it just goes to show, the indexing can be a bit funny.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:56 PM   #54
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
That's interesting because when I first hit the indexing problem it was after sending a lot (250+) books from Calibre. I always use "send to device". Subsequently I did a reset and then sent them 10 at a time and then later one at a time. I had thought about simply copying them using the OS and cutting out Calibre altogether (I don't really think it's an issue but I could remove the calibre created files).

My latest tactic is to try to download as many of the books from Amazon as possible and only sideload ones which originally came from other sources. This gives me a smaller set if I have to start weeding out "problem" books.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:11 AM   #55
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre

I've copied them across by simply dragging and dropping the files without any problems, but it's quicker and easier to use Calibre. I've only tested it with the 'Save to Disc' option once, but it seemed to work ok. It just means I have an extra step to move the books from my main Calibre library to my read books library - I think I can live with that though! Incidentally, I always only copy over a small number of books at a time, never more than 20.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:23 PM   #56
brudigia
Evangelist
brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have seen this post yesterday

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=206191

which might help. I am afraid of deleting the indices on the Kindle and starting up again, but it might help somebody else.
It seems somebody understand indexing, apparently.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:43 PM   #57
Lutraa
Well Read
Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK 3G, K4B, Nook HD+, Galaxy S3
Quote:
Originally Posted by brudigia View Post
Clearly hundreds of books at one time was too much. But sometimes also 20-30 books were a problem. A number of times I was able to go on just restarting the Kindle. For some reasons, ebooks which were stuck for 3-4 hours, after a restart were cleared quickly.
Why this happens, I haven' t the foggiest idea.
Hope this practical suggestion can help.
Although we may think of our devices as tablet computers, they're not. They simply don't have the processing power of a true computer. They are file storage and display devices that struggle to compile large relational databases like indexes of hundreds of books from scratch.

I rely on my laptop and Calibre to organize and index my ebook library, not my reading devices. And if Intuit develops TurboTax "K," I'm not buying!
Lutraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:14 AM   #58
brudigia
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutraa View Post
Although we may think of our devices as tablet computers, they're not. They simply don't have the processing power of a true computer. They are file storage and display devices that struggle to compile large relational databases like indexes of hundreds of books from scratch.

I rely on my laptop and Calibre to organize and index my ebook library, not my reading devices. And if Intuit develops TurboTax "K," I'm not buying!
Well they are still quite decent, as computers go. The Kobo Glo has a 1GHz processor, which is not to be laughed at and I believe the Kindle has a 800 MHz processor.

Do not belittle them, they are nice, comparable with some tablet outside. True they do not have the screen to go with it, but who cares ? They are to be used as ereaders and their aim is to last a long time, they do not have to do heavy number crunching. In fact as soon as they start doing something heavier (indexing is one example) battery goes down fast!

Cheers

Tags
indexing kindle