Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 07-18-2011, 12:52 PM   #1
yelloguy
Enthusiast
yelloguy is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.yelloguy is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.yelloguy is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.yelloguy is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.yelloguy is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.yelloguy is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.yelloguy is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.yelloguy is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.yelloguy is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.yelloguy is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.yelloguy is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: none
Reader app with day night adjustable settings

I have used a variety of Android epub Reader apps in the past. For my Nook Color, I have settled on Nook App for my reading app of choice. Sometimes I use FBReader but mostly Nook App. The problem is that to get the brightness right for the low light situations is very hard. And then when I switch to daylight mode, I am almost afraid to turn it up since I would have to spend time getting it right for the night again.

Almost all reader apps have a night mode, except it is invariably white text on black background.

I want an app that allows me to pick the font, color, brightness settings for day and night modes. Is there one?

Alternatively, I haven't been able to find a way to set the Nook App to use system's brightness setting. That way I can use my brightness app to punch in the number and then start reading in the Nook App. Anyone know how to do it?
yelloguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:54 PM   #2
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by yelloguy View Post
I want an app that allows me to pick the font, color, brightness settings for day and night modes. Is there one?
Cool Reader allows selection of text color, background color and background texture for each night and day. Font face, font size and brightness are single settings for both. Here is the link:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/cren...r3/cr3-3.0.46/

Regards - John
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 02:11 PM   #3
yelloguy
Enthusiast
yelloguy is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.yelloguy is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.yelloguy is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.yelloguy is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.yelloguy is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.yelloguy is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.yelloguy is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.yelloguy is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.yelloguy is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.yelloguy is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.yelloguy is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Thanks John. I have tried Cool Reader previously. If I change the text color, background color and texture to be the same for both day and night (as I want it), it brings me back to Nook App status - no way to change brightness setting separately for day and night. Aldiko also allows some customization of Day and Night themes but doesn't do what I want.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:02 PM   #4
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I've been mostly using Aldiko because I like that you can scroll up / down on the left edge of the screen to change the brightness. You scan swipe the right edge to change font size. It makes it easier when switching from day to night. I think Moon+ also allows you to swipe the edge for brightness too.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 03:58 PM   #5
yelloguy
Enthusiast

I am coming from a Sony PRS 350 to Nook Color so when I am reading in the dim light, I go to the minimum possible brightness (without making the screen flicker). Anything more looks too shiny. That is one reason I gave up on the Kindle app. It wouldn't get completely dull or paper-like even at the lowest brightness. But FBReader can. However you have to swipe the left side very carefully. Nook app can give me that as well. But with a lot of fiddling. That is why I am loathe to lose that setting during daylight reading.

(Using Adj Brightness app, at 5% brightness setting it can be a comfortable read. At 4% the screen starts to flicker.)
Old 07-18-2011, 04:07 PM   #6
emt
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelloguy View Post
Thanks John. I have tried Cool Reader previously. If I change the text color, background color and texture to be the same for both day and night (as I want it), it brings me back to Nook App status - no way to change brightness setting separately for day and night. Aldiko also allows some customization of Day and Night themes but doesn't do what I want.
Cool Reader also allows you to swipe on an edge to adjust brightness
Old 07-19-2011, 01:41 PM   #7
pruss
Evangelist
pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The following advice is only good for rooted devices.

Have you tried ChainFire3D's night mode? Especially the custom night mode in ChainFire3D Pro might be helpful for customizing colors. For reading, I like green text on a black background. So I set the CF3D nightmode to Green, and then set the ebook reader to white on black. The white then turns green because of the nightmode.

You might also consider my free SuperDim (in Android Market or code.google.com/p/superdim/) which lets you set brightness profiles (coordinates with ChainFire3D's night mode). You could save a profile and quickly switch to it. For instance, on my Archos, I can run SuperDim, and then switch to it from an ebook reader app by holding HOME, choosing SuperDim from the recent apps list, and the go back to the ebook reader with the BACK button.

The AdjBrightness app that you mentioned has an option to lock in the brightness setting? Does that work for you? If it does, I can add a similar option to SuperDim, but the option just didn't work for me, so I didn't bother to include it in SuperDim.
pruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:12 PM   #8
Eskarina
Zealot
Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.

Device: NOOKColor (sdCM7), Kindle 4
Cool reader allows you to set text color, background color, background texture AND brightness settings for both day and night modes. You can also set a tap zone action to toggle between day and night settings.

I just tested this. I set day/night settings to be black text on white background, night mode at 5% brightness and day mode at 50% brightness. I also set long press on the bottom center of my screen to toggle between day/night modes. It worked.

Regardless, I prefer the light paper/dark paper background and prefer adjusting brightness by swiping the left edge of the screen.
Eskarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 05:22 AM   #9
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I've been mostly using Aldiko because I like that you can scroll up / down on the left edge of the screen to change the brightness. You scan swipe the right edge to change font size. It makes it easier when switching from day to night. I think Moon+ also allows you to swipe the edge for brightness too.
I was using Aldiko, but it won't work properly on the Xoom, it crashes if you rotate the tablet.

I dumped it for that reason and have been using FBReader and Moon reader ... and the Kindle App.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:36 AM   #10
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I was using Aldiko, but it won't work properly on the Xoom, it crashes if you rotate the tablet.
I dumped it for that reason and have been using FBReader and Moon reader ... and the Kindle App.
I can understand why you don't use Aldiko. That would be an annoying problem! I have been alternating between Aldiko and Moon+ to try and decide which I prefer. The majority of my reading on the tablet is late-night. I try to use bookstore apps when I can take advantage of syncing.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:54 AM   #11
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
Loving Aldiko and fbReader on my Tab.

@OP, both are adjustable in ways you are asking for as I recall. For me, I simply use old school black background and optic green text. Both apps above let me control brightness of screen, and fbreader does have left hand swipe to control this, at least on my Tab.
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 08:52 PM   #12
yelloguy
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruss View Post
The AdjBrightness app that you mentioned has an option to lock in the brightness setting? Does that work for you? If it does, I can add a similar option to SuperDim, but the option just didn't work for me, so I didn't bother to include it in SuperDim.
Pruss, you are the star!!

This is absolutely brilliant and exactly what I wanted. Thanks for telling me about the Brightness Lock button in AdjBrightness app. I feel stupid for not playing with it earlier. But now that I have discovered it, it is exactly what I need. Now I can lock the brightness in AdjBrightness and the reader app (whichever I use) cannot change it. This allows me to pick perfect brightness for the setup. I always used the Home button long press trick to go back to AdjBrightness and then switch to ereader app again.

This is great. I can stick with Nook app for reading now.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:58 AM   #13
yelloguy
Enthusiast

Locking brightness setting in AdjBrightness causes the Nook Color to have sleep of death issues. Everytime I sleep (after reading) the Nook refuses to wake up and needs a restart causing me to lose my page on the Nook app. I guess I can't use this feature any more.

I would love to try SuperDim to see if it fixes the issue. Does it have the lock brightness button?

Otherwise, I will try installing Phiremod or Honeycomb (instead of CM7) to see if that resolves the issue. If anyone has these installed and can try doing this, then I would definitely appreciate it as it would save me some hours.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:42 PM   #14
pruss
Evangelist
pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I didn't put a brightness lock in SuperDim, because I didn't find the brightness lock in AdjBrightness to work very well.

By the way, I suspect that your Nook may well be waking up just fine, but with a brightness set to zero, so you can't see anything. :-) I don't know if you have any way of checking if that's what's happening. But if that really is what is happening, I think I can work around the problem in SuperDim.

That said, I am still a bit surprised the brightness lock works for you. Maybe it depends on the app? Can you try an experiment for me? Set the correct brightness in SuperDim, and exit SuperDim. Then, using either a terminal app or an adb shell, execute the following commands:
su
chmod 444 /sys/class/leds/lcd-backlight/brightness
(You'll probably get a root privileges prompt after the "su".) Then see if that locks in the brightness for you.
pruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:15 PM   #15
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Interesting discussion, but my only Android device is a Honeycomb tablet which claims
to adjust the brightness using a hardware sensor then the firmware/software settings.
Would that not effect your efforts, if there were something like that in play for your
devices?

I find that the automatic brightness control is working very well for the few .pdf and
magazines that I read on my tablet. I don't use the tablet for most reading, for that I
have a dedicated eReader.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote