Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 03-18-2016, 04:23 PM   #1
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Some statistics for V5 beta users

As you know, V5 captures some statistics. Here are some results for the last few days.
  • Average daily users (devices): 15
  • Total users (devices): 37
  • If someone launched CC on a given day, then on average that person used CC 4 times that day
  • Average use of book list views: list view: 70%, grid view: 30%
  • Average use of book details: main: 92%, cloud: 5%, content server: 3%
  • Grouping drawer: the vast majority of people group on "Series", followed by some (unrecorded name) custom column.
  • Selection of groups: in grouping drawer: 50%. In book details by tapping an item: 50%
  • The sort menu is almost never used.
  • Time in app: 25th percentile: 10 seconds. Median: 30 seconds. 75th percentile: 3 minutes.
  • Average size of CC library: 25th percentile: 50 books. Median: approx 1000 books. 75th percentile: 36,500 books
  • Use of book details: content server: approx 2%, cloud: approx 5%, main library: approx 92%
  • Connection type: Cloud: 20% (mostly Dropbox & Onedrive), Content Server: 20%, Wireless Device: 60%
  • Samsumg devices are the most popular, followed by LG and Motorola.
I have no idea who a "user" is or where that user is located.

Some number of you have turned off statistics gathering. I don't know who or how many.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 05:37 PM   #2
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
That's very interesting! My stats are 'on'. I like the Time in App... for the most part it's obviously used as a portal to get to the meat of the matter... the book!
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2016, 11:10 PM   #3
nqk
Fanatic
nqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Onyx Boox Leaf
So 75% of users are seemingly keeping the full huge libraries on their devices, hence their reliance on and use of wireless connection.

Or vice versa.

I wonder how Calibre's changes to Content Server in the expecting version 3 to let user interact with the metadata.db remotely will affect CC usage.
nqk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 04:44 AM   #4
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by nqk View Post
So 75% of users are seemingly keeping the full huge libraries on their devices, hence their reliance on and use of wireless connection.
It would be more accurate to say that 75% users don't keep the library at the device, but perhaps I remember wrong my statistic.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 10:29 AM   #5
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
These stats are pretty interesting. What jumped out at me is the 36,500 number for that 75th percentile. Wow! For someone with a library that large, it would take 100 years to read every book, assuming they could get through a book a day. Astonishing.

It would be interesting to see updated stats once the new version is rolled out to the entire user base.
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2016, 02:28 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I am a CC wimp
I keep a few hundred books on my Tab 2

I use the Content Server to browse (and maybe add)
I use WDC to keep those books fresh (metadata and edits)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 03:42 PM   #7
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I wonder whether the 36,500 number is some kind of calculation error from the toolkit. It (the toolkit) is doing a bunch of stuff to come up with a curve then partitioning it by users. With a small number of users, I can imagine it getting it wrong.

I am changing the data gathering so that I can get both an average and the distribution of the size across a set of "buckets". That should eliminate the possibility of computation error and it will give me what I need to know. I don't care at all about exact numbers, but can use rough sizes for performance choices.

And I agree, getting numbers from the larger installed base will provide clarity. I will make the production release in a day or so, releasing it first to the beta group. A day after that I will start the staged release to the rest of the world.
Old 03-19-2016, 07:58 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Some of those 'large' libraries may comprise of things other than books - web clips, news items, journal articles etc etc.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 04:29 AM   #9
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Some of those 'large' libraries may comprise of things other than books - web clips, news items, journal articles etc etc.
Very true.

What astounds me is the CC even works with that large a database. It certainly isn't designed for that size. This is one reason I think that the number might be a calculation error. Another is that the size has appeared on exactly one day. Of course, that user could have turned off statistics gathering ...
Old 03-23-2016, 11:08 AM   #10
kaufman
Calibre Companion Fanatic
kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
  • The sort menu is almost never used.
Ha! Autosort for the win....
kaufman is offline   Reply With Quote