Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 03-10-2020, 08:19 PM   #1
mtreader
Connoisseur
mtreader began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Nova 2, Kobo Clara
Is PDF Text Highlighted on E-reader Saved for Export?

I'm considering buying a ~10" screen ereader to read pdfs and be able to highlight text/export excerpts and can't find documentation that answers these questions:

Will highlights made on any ereader become part of the pdf and usable if I move the file from my ereader to a PC?

Is it easy to select all text highlighted in a pdf to export / does that vary much with the ereader chosen?

If not, should I convert pdfs to some other format before reading/highlighting?

Anything else to consider? Thank you!

Last edited by mtreader; 03-11-2020 at 11:34 AM.
mtreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 09:46 PM   #2
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Any reason you don’t want to get a tablet?
willus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 11:05 PM   #3
mtreader
Connoisseur

i find e-ink much more pleasant and easier on my eyes. I already have a laptop for browsing or composing.
Old 03-13-2020, 12:23 AM   #4
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
I know you've mentioned you prefer e-ink but do consider going the tablet route. I think this one's easier to accomplish on tablets.

Personally, I use a 10.2" iPad ($229) + Logitech Crayon* ($59) + GoodReader ($9.99) for PDF markup. Best combo I've used for this task. Annotations are embedded into the actual PDF file and are supported in other PDF reading software (Adobe Reader, etc).

* Logitech Crayon: cheaper alternative to Apple Pencil which uses the same technology as the Apple Pencil

Last edited by ilovejedd; 03-13-2020 at 12:26 AM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 04:30 PM   #5
aldazo
Enthusiast
aldazo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtreader View Post
I'm considering buying a ~10" screen ereader to read pdfs and be able to highlight text/export excerpts and can't find documentation that answers these questions:

Will highlights made on any ereader become part of the pdf and usable if I move the file from my ereader to a PC?

Is it easy to select all text highlighted in a pdf to export / does that vary much with the ereader chosen?

If not, should I convert pdfs to some other format before reading/highlighting?

Anything else to consider? Thank you!

Hi,
I recommend you to buy an Ereader that let you install Android apps. I have a Likebook Note (discontinued) and I can install third party apps on it (but some of them run slower than in a pure android device). Now to answer your questions:

1) From a likebook user perspective, with the default app, absolutely not. But there are some third party pdf apps like Xodo that allows you to stamp/flatten the highlighted text, then you can save it for reading in your PC with any pdf reader.

2) I think nowadays most ereaders apps have the option to export highlighted text in formats like html, txt and pdf, as a new file. But I'm not so sure.

3) Nowadays some readers have the "reflow" option that somehow convert the text to be displayed similar to an epub format. But again, if you buy an ereader that lets you install android apps then you can install an app that do that if the reader's native app doesn't have that feature.

4) Well, I recommend you to buy an eink reader that comes with a "mobius" screen, they are more resistant and somehow flexible than other eink screens without that tech. I broke my Likebook Plus after a month and after some digging I found that some eink screens are more fragile than others and the ones with mobius are the most resistant in the market right now. But they are usually larger than 8", with the exception of Kobo Forma that I think is the only one with 8" that has mobius. Less than 6" with mobius defenitely you will not find.

Hope this help you.

Last edited by aldazo; 04-11-2020 at 04:35 PM.
aldazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 11:21 AM   #6
mtreader
Connoisseur

Very helpful, aldazo. Thanks!

Tags
android, large screen, pdf