Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-20-2010, 09:11 AM   #1
koichirose
koichirose began at the beginning.

Device: none
Cheapest reader with bookmarks and a few other features?

Hi, I'm looking for my first ebook reader ($180 max), with a few basic features:
- bookmarks (ability to add multiple bookmarks on different pages of the same book)
- Out of the box PDF/txt/epub support (no conversions, though calibre makes it easy to convert)
- Calibre support would be great, since I'm a linux user and love that program (I've been using it with Stanza on the iPhone)
-- Dictionary, notes taking, search, mp3 support not really essential but would be an awesome plus

I'd read mostly pdf files (university stuff) and maybe web pages (I read that Instapaper + Calibre is a very powerful combination).
EPUB books, too, but not as much.

I've been looking around a lot and the current options are:
- Sony PRS-300 ($130): nice little ebook reader, does everything I need. Perfect, except maybe for the little screen and no SD support.
- Aluratek Libre ($130): don't really have enough info about this. Looks like you can write stuff with the weird vertical keypad. Asking for advice here
- Ectaco Jetbook ($150): it really looks the same as the Libre, is it the same device?
- Kobo (will be out at $150): I really like the design. It supports SD cards but no multiple bookmarks support. Only saves the last page you were on. Right?
- Cybook Opus ($180): Has SD support and accelerometer as a plus. By reading the manual, it looks like you can't add bookmarks to all file formats but only some (I forgot which ones). Could someone confirm?
- Sony PRS-600 ($180): this one would be my choice. Note taking, mp3 support, search, SD support, Dictionary, 6 inches screen, I would pay the extra $50 for all of this. But I read a lot about it and it seems that the screen, being a touchscreen, is really bad. Lots of glare I plan to read a lot on the beach this summer...

I'm certainly forgetting some, that's why I'm asking here

Thank you and congratulations for the really nice forum!

Last edited by koichirose; 06-20-2010 at 09:14 AM.
koichirose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:40 AM   #2
loveangel
Banned
loveangel began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Welcome to the forum ..
well you have perfect information ..i always prefer kindle
loveangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2010, 12:15 PM   #3
koichirose

Well, ok...the kindle is a little bit out of budget...
Old 06-21-2010, 04:59 PM   #4
koichirose

Everything changed today!
Nook for $149, Kindle for $189 :O
Which one between those two now?
Old 06-21-2010, 05:59 PM   #5
Lastblade
Nookie are we
Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks with and without color
Nook (epub)
Lastblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2010, 12:05 AM   #6
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.
dorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-books

Device: deceased PRS-600, Nook STR
Nook between those two.

I'd still be considering the 600, though. note-taking, etc. Try it yourself if you haven't, and see if the screen really bothers you. Outdoors, of course, it's great.
dorino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 03:19 AM   #7
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your company, Koich. And you've joined us in an interesting week. Kobo WiFi at under $150 -- more to follow their lead? Good luck and best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 05:16 PM   #8
koichirose

I just bought a Nook wifi, for $150.
It has everything I need (notes, bookmarks, audio, search), and more (web browser).

Interesting week indeed! Thanks
Old 06-22-2010, 05:41 PM   #9
BenLee
eReader Junkie
BenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle + Sony
Good choice. Nook at $150 is well worth it. This is definitely a good week to have kicked around the idea of buying an eReader.
BenLee is offline   Reply With Quote