Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-04-2015, 04:23 PM   #1
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Galaxy Note 2
Kindle Voyage quick flip through pages?

Hi everyone -- quick question for you Voyage owners: one of the things I still like about my good ol' Nook Glowlight is that I can tap the page really quickly and effectively flip forwards or backwards through a bunch of pages. It's helpful if I want to go back and re-read a section (especially for mystery novels) and also because I'm often reading the same book across devices / platforms that don't sync with each other. I recently inherited a Kindle PW and was pretty amazed at how noticeably better the screen is vs. the Glowlight. So I'm considering getting the Voyage as a second reader and selling the Glowlight. But the thing holding me back is this ability to flip through pages quickly. I can't do it on my Paperwhite (it's just too slow) and I'm wondering if it's possible to do on the Voyage. Is it?
maxbookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 04:51 PM   #2
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
If you slide up from the bottom of the screen it opens a small preview view that allows you to quickly scroll through the book. Have you tried that on your Paperwhite to see if it meets your needs?
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2015, 05:26 PM   #3
pssquirrel
ebooknut
pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & Oasis
As much as I love my new Voyage, I find the "Page Flip" feature (where the little preview window pops up) to be very disappointing. [see updated thoughts below] The slider is way too imprecise to be useful. I've used ereading apps where you can use the slider to go to a precise page, but I can't get that to work on my Voyage. It's a hit-or-miss, stab-in-the-dark process for me -- and if anyone has any suggestions on how I might improve my slider skills, I'd appreciate it.

I also find the Page Flip page-turn arrows no different than tapping on regular pages, which as maxbookworm notes, is too slow to flip and skim through pages. However, the haptic page-turn buttons are better, and [see updated thoughts below] if I want to skim, I will use the haptic buttons, and it works okay (not great, but okay).

Last edited by pssquirrel; 02-06-2015 at 12:20 AM. Reason: updated thoughts
pssquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 05:47 PM   #4
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Galaxy Note 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
If you slide up from the bottom of the screen it opens a small preview view that allows you to quickly scroll through the book. Have you tried that on your Paperwhite to see if it meets your needs?
Ah, that's a cool feature! I didn't know that existed. It's definitely helpful. Thanks!
maxbookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 06:26 PM   #5
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pssquirrel View Post
As much as I love my new Voyage, I find the "Page Flip" feature (where the little preview window pops up) to be very disappointing. The slider is way too imprecise to be useful. I've used ereading apps where you can use the slider to go to a precise page, but I can't get that to work on my Voyage. It's a hit-or-miss, stab-in-the-dark process for me -- and if anyone has any suggestions on how I might improve my slider skills, I'd appreciate it.

I also find the Page Flip page-turn arrows no different than tapping on regular pages, which as maxbookworm notes, is too slow to flip and skim through pages. However, the haptic page-turn buttons are better, and if I want to skim, I will use the haptic buttons, and it works okay (not great, but okay).
The slider gets me the largest chunks, but not very precise, I agree. The arrows above the slider skip from chapter to chapter, assuming its properly formatted. The arrows in the flip window, you can just hold down and it will keep flipping. One buy one, so its the most precise and slowest option.

So there are 3 different flip options available on the page flip page.

What I like in any of the options is that they are so much faster and not lagging as they do on my PW1. It was pretty frustrating for me on that device. No issues though on the Voyage.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2015, 06:48 PM   #6
pssquirrel
ebooknut
pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
... The arrows in the flip window, you can just hold down and it will keep flipping.
Oh my god, I could hug you! It never occurred to me to hold the arrow down. I kept tapping it like a demented woodpecker trying to flip through pages. Okay, I stand corrected. The Page Flip feature is not disappointing and quite useful after all. Thank you!
Old 02-04-2015, 07:07 PM   #7
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Wow, I never knew about that feature on the Kindles. I've always missed the fast forward/back page flip ability of the Sony x50s (just hold the page turn motion and the pages fast-flip forward or back). This method isn't as good as the Sony's method was, but it's not bad for that function.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 10:14 PM   #8
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pssquirrel View Post
Oh my god, I could hug you! It never occurred to me to hold the arrow down. I kept tapping it like a demented woodpecker trying to flip through pages. Okay, I stand corrected. The Page Flip feature is not disappointing and quite useful after all. Thank you!
Yay, I am so glad I was able to help someone. Its usually me that needs the help to figure stuff out.

Yep, I did the demented woodpecker thing too for a while until I just tried to hold it down and it worked.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 05:58 AM   #9
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
Wow, I never knew about that feature on the Kindles. I've always missed the fast forward/back page flip ability of the Sony x50s (just hold the page turn motion and the pages fast-flip forward or back). This method isn't as good as the Sony's method was, but it's not bad for that function.
It's a cool feature, and is pretty speedy on my 350 for it being such an 'old' model. It's only the later Kindle models that do it (PW onwards I think?) and I do prefer the PW/Voyage method because you have the option to skip back/forward by chapter as well as pages. Also because it opens in a preview window, you can flip back/forward to find something, view it in the preview window and then just close it and go straight back into where you were reading. Very handy.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:53 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
Wow, I never knew about that feature on the Kindles.
This is why I'd recommend at least flipping through the User Guide with any new device. All this information is in there .

Last edited by HarryT; 02-05-2015 at 09:56 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 02:17 PM   #11
pssquirrel
ebooknut

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
This is why I'd recommend at least flipping through the User Guide with any new device. All this information is in there .
I did read the User Guide. On page 32 of the KV Guide, under Navigating a Book > Kindle Page Flip, it says: "To skim through chapters, tap the arrows." Therefore, I tapped (and tapped and tapped). It doesn't say anything about pressing and holding for fast flipping.

Last edited by pssquirrel; 02-06-2015 at 12:22 AM.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:33 PM   #12
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: [Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (KK)], Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro
Yes, this pressing and holding thing is new to me.

Thank you!!!

krazy4katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 01:01 PM   #13
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
I'm gonna have to explore to find the whole flip thingie you are talking about, much less pressing and holding on the arrow. I *did* read the user guide, but since then I've been too busy reading my books. It's time to reread the user guide again, I suppose. OR just to browse the MR forums and learn a new trick from you-all. Thank you!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote