Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 12-23-2014, 04:16 AM   #31
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW-3, iPad, Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Sigil v0.8.2 MinGW/Qt5.3.2-OpenGL for XP or higher
So far, working for me on XP SP3.
A step up from the .62 I was stuck at before.
Thanks!!!

Now, how about doing the same for Calibre?....

--- Spoke too soon.
After working the first time, next time I tried to run it it never opens.
I can see the process start and abort after a couple of seconds. This is the same behaviour I was getting from 0.7x.

-- PS2. Reinstalled 0.62. Then installed .82 again. Works again, but not confident it will keep working.

Last edited by AlanHK; 12-23-2014 at 05:34 AM.
AlanHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 07:33 AM   #32
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
--- Spoke too soon.
After working the first time, next time I tried to run it it never opens.
I can see the process start and abort after a couple of seconds. This is the same behaviour I was getting from 0.7x.

-- PS2. Reinstalled 0.62. Then installed .82 again. Works again, but not confident it will keep working.
Not sure what's up there. The MinGW build hasn't been tested all that hard. But if it runs at all on your XP system, then the VS2010 build should run too. Lots of others run that build on XP sp3 with no issues. If you continue to have trouble with the MinGW build, I'd try the other.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2014, 02:48 AM   #33
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Not sure what's up there. The MinGW build hasn't been tested all that hard. But if it runs at all on your XP system, then the VS2010 build should run too. Lots of others run that build on XP sp3 with no issues. If you continue to have trouble with the MinGW build, I'd try the other.
Same issue with both builds.

Works for a while, then fails to open at all.

I found a workaround:
I installed version 0.62 (QT4) in another folder.
If I just open that and close it, then I can run your 0.82 build for a while. But after several times, it again chokes.
I can only guess there is some setting that the later version writes into the registry or some other place that is incompatible with my version of Windows, and the earlier version resets it.

It's voodoo, annoying, but works.

Is there a way to log the changes a program makes?
Old 12-25-2014, 08:18 AM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Same issue with both builds.

Works for a while, then fails to open at all.

I found a workaround:
I installed version 0.62 (QT4) in another folder.
If I just open that and close it, then I can run your 0.82 build for a while. But after several times, it again chokes.
I can only guess there is some setting that the later version writes into the registry or some other place that is incompatible with my version of Windows, and the earlier version resets it.

It's voodoo, annoying, but works.

Is there a way to log the changes a program makes?
It's not an issue with Windows. It's most likely an issue with your processor. What processor do you have? Does it support SSE2?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 08:56 AM   #35
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's not an issue with Windows. It's most likely an issue with your processor. What processor do you have? Does it support SSE2?
No Jon, it's not likely an issue with his processor. If his processor didn't support SSE2, Sigil 0.8.x would just not work ... at all. That he's able to "workaround" the issue (even only temporarily) suggests the problem lies elsewhere.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2014, 12:12 PM   #36
AlanHK
Guru

Quote:
Of course it's an issue with Windows.

If it was hardware, how would it work at all?
The PC is a year old.
Code:
CPU-Z TXT Report
Processor 1			ID = 0
	Number of cores		2 (max 8)
	Number of threads	2 (max 16)
	Name			Intel Pentium G2020
	Codename		Ivy Bridge
	Specification		Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G2020 @ 2.90GHz
	Package (platform ID)	Socket 1155 LGA (0x1)
	CPUID			6.A.9
	Extended CPUID		6.3A
	Core Stepping		P0
	Technology		22 nm
	TDP Limit		55 Watts
	Core Speed		2893.8 MHz
	Multiplier x Bus Speed	29.0 x 99.8 MHz
	Stock frequency		2900 MHz
	Instructions sets	MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, EM64T, VT-x
	L1 Data cache		2 x 32 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
	L1 Instruction cache	2 x 32 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
	L2 cache		2 x 256 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
	L3 cache		3 MBytes, 12-way set associative, 64-byte line size
	FID/VID Control		yes

Turbo Mode		not supported
	Max non-turbo ratio	29x
	Max turbo ratio		29x
	Max efficiency ratio	16x
	Min Power		44 Watts
	O/C bins		none
	Ratio 1 core		29x
	Ratio 2 cores		29x
	Ratio 3 cores		29x
	Ratio 4 cores		29x
	TSC			2893.7 MHz
	APERF			2893.4 MHz
	MPERF			2893.9 MHz
Old 12-25-2014, 01:05 PM   #37
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@JSWolf - there is a lesson for you in AlanHK's post

CPU-Z is a much more direct way of determining the instruction sets one's processor supports than dithering around with some indirect Windows 8.1 compatibility check - besides it might say no for another reason - eg the beloved IBM Model M keyboard one uses :lol:

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 07:15 PM   #38
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
CPU-Z is a much more direct way of determining the instruction sets one's processor supports than dithering around with some indirect Windows 8.1 compatibility check
CPU-Z and GPU-Z, those are the two tools I live by to determine all the specifics on exactly what CPU, RAM, and GPU is in the computer.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 07:24 PM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

AlanHK have you tried stopping everything that you run when the system start and that includes services not part of the OS and then try Sigil and see if it crashes. It's very possible it's something you run not liking Sigil or Qt5. We've seen this sort of thing with Calibre.
Old 12-25-2014, 07:30 PM   #40
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
It could also be advantageous to look at what DLL's are loaded (including versions and load locations), both when Sigil IS working and when it is not.

See listdlls from SysInternals.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 07:38 PM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
It could also be advantageous to look at what DLL's are loaded (including versions and load locations), both when Sigil IS working and when it is not.

That too is a good idea.
Old 12-25-2014, 09:51 PM   #42
AlanHK
Guru

Quote:
AlanHK have you tried stopping everything that you run when the system start and that includes services not part of the OS and then try Sigil and see if it crashes. It's very possible it's something you run not liking Sigil or Qt5. We've seen this sort of thing with Calibre.
It is not intermittent. When it happens, it will never open at all until I reset the condition by running an earlier version. Maybe the failure is triggered by another process, but I can't work it out after the fact. Sigil doesn't crash, it fails to open the next time I start it. So cause and effect are separated by an arbitrary period.

The "fix" is immediate so that seems more likely to be determinable.

If I could work out how running 0.62 fixes it then I could automate that and do it whenever I start it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post

When this problem occurs there is no time for diagnostics. I can see the process pop up in Process Explorer and then disappear within a second.

Unless there is a way the monitoring program can start and report on what happens.

But I'll give it a try.
Old 12-25-2014, 10:37 PM   #43
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Maybe running 0.62 causes the Qt5 DLLs to be tossed out of memory with Qt4 so when you then run 0.8.2, you get a fresh load of the Qt5 DLLs. This is just a guess.
Old 12-25-2014, 10:39 PM   #44
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
When this problem occurs there is no time for diagnostics. I can see the process pop up in Process Explorer and then disappear within a second.

Unless there is a way the monitoring program can start and report on what happens.

But I'll give it a try.
You could try monitoring right before you close Sigil and see what's there. Then you can compare the results for when it reruns to when it fails to rerun.
Old 12-25-2014, 10:56 PM   #45
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
You could try monitoring right before you close Sigil and see what's there. Then you can compare the results for when it reruns to when it fails to rerun.
Exactly.... capture the DLLs loaded before each launch of Sigil. Then, when a failure happens either post a good and bad listing of DLLs here, or compare them yourself.

Not saying it will show the problem but it might give us some more ideas.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote