Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 06-14-2011, 10:50 PM   #1
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket Edgex2(1unborked), Alex, Nook B&W, Nook Color, Nook STR
Help Unbricking PE

I managed to brick my PE today... oops. I did have ermine on it and tried to get the market from my phone. all went fine until trying to edit build.prop as per forum procedure
it did reboot on trying to save and does not pass the entourage edge logo. I reset it and tried to flash with dingo golden update from a 2 gb usb formated with fat32. just does not go in the recovery mode by pressing menu+rotate on boot. please help.
vicinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:23 PM   #2
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

Device: eDGe
you might want to try a few more times going into recovery mode, also did you rename the golden update to update.zip? Also, make sure you are holding the menu+rotate for 7+ seconds(until it starts flashing or something else). If that doesn't work(or if you've already tried all of this) let us know...
emusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2011, 12:59 AM   #3
Last_of_the_PEs
Groupie
Last_of_the_PEs began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage PE
Uh oh! One little PE went to market... one little PE stayed home...

sorry. had to.
Last_of_the_PEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 04:17 AM   #4
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Tried few times, renamed to update.zip of course, same usb stick that did the initial update to ermine
Old 06-15-2011, 04:29 AM   #5
vicinc
Guru

On my Adam you can not go wrong as it goes to a recovery menu when pressing volume up an slide the power. nothing like this on adam. I am so upset as this was supposed to be my toddler daughter tablet and I managed to brick it now.
Advert
Old 06-15-2011, 09:19 AM   #6
kennyminot
Groupie
kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: HTC EVO View 4G, HTC Wildfire S, Asus T91MT
I have done this a couple times, and here is my advice . . .

1. Don't panic. As long as your system boots, it's not bricked. You're not experiencing any kind of hardware failure so you should be able to restore it to factory settings.

2. I've borked my device in two cases with Ermine. In both cases, I've had to restore by first reverting back to Dingo and THEN switching to Ermine. Unfortunately, the process of getting back to Dingo is not an easy, intuitive one. The eDGe doesn't have a "recovery mode," which might be what you are used to with your other devices. In addition, getting back to Dingo is a little bit strange: you have to first flash the update, wait for twenty minutes, and then repeat the process. You just have to have faith that it will work.

OK - so here's how you do it. Essentially, you just follow the instructions on this thread:

https://www.entourageedge.com/suppor...barticleid=263

And when you're all done, install the Ermine update.

Good luck!
kennyminot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:35 AM   #7
ken_jennings
eDGe User
ken_jennings has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Entourage eDGe
Is that support page and the zip files preserved here on MobileRead? How long will it be available on the Entourage site?
ken_jennings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:48 AM   #8
kennyminot
Groupie
kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.

I have the PE Dingo and Ermine updates. Can I just attach these to my "Ermine Tweaks" thread? Or would I be violating some kind of forum rule? I'd be happy to compile all this information and post it to the forums, so long as nobody gets mad at me.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:27 AM   #9
vicinc
Guru

I am doing it again now, on a fresh 1gb FAT32 formatted usb. I tried all this but I am not getting to updating software at all. edge get blocked to the edge logo and than after 10 minutes get a black screen while still on. I did rooted the device with z4root first and was working fine after this, using titanium backup. I managed to install the market and the google apps fine. I played with root explorer trying to edit the build.prop after making the system RW as per instructions on this forum. unfortunately the file refused to write and rebooted while trying another editor. Than blocked to the edge screen going to black screen. Does not switch off only by keeping reset. Stupid not to have a recovery mode. Even my old Alex had that one.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:51 PM   #10
vicinc
Guru

does not seem to have much luck. I think I borked mine badly this time. Tried 3 usb sticks all under 2gb and fat32 formated. Nothing on the root, just the pe golden update renamed update.zip.
When started with the menu and rotate on, I can not get to update.
I starts in portrait with pocket edge and there are 4 dots, it gets progressing to the second one. than goes back to one, two, three dots. Than goes to landscape mode with entourage edge flickering to the bottom, and does flicker for 10 minutes.
Than enters a black screen. and can only be switched off by keeping the reset button for 10 seconds. Please help. I am in UK, purchased this via Amazon USA and shipped to UK by a friend. can not send it back to USA. any other kind of recovery possible?
Old 06-15-2011, 02:09 PM   #11
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

I don't know if there's anything more we can recommend... entourage left us kinda in the dust as to recovery methods... one other thing I would try, even though it probably wont do much of anything is trying a FAT formatted stick just in case. If that still fails then I am fresh out of ideas short of opening it up and finding some serial lines... sorry
Old 06-15-2011, 02:24 PM   #12
vicinc
Guru

Trying to restore build.prob using adb.
http://android.modaco.com/content/sa.../#entry1350078
anybody having a good build.prop from a ermine please for pocket edge. also anysugestions on adb push. first time I am attempting such a thing as the golden update does not work for me and the build.prop is what I messed about on my ermine.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:25 PM   #13
kennyminot
Groupie

1. The last two times I reverted back to Dingo, I used an sdcard. Maybe you can try using an sdcard instead of a USB drive?

2. I've successfully pushed files to my eDGe using adb, but I think I initially had some problems getting my computer to recognize the device. I'm not sure if this is going to work, though, because you need to turn on USB debugging. As I said, the device doesn't really have a "recovery mode" -- at least, not in the sense that I know it (like my Optimus V with Clockwork Mod). I'd try flashing via sdcard and then if you're still having trouble, give the adb a shot. I'll post my build.prop in a few minutes. Just need to get my device hooked up . . .

*EDIT*
I had to upload it as a *.txt. Just change the ending to *.prop.
Attached Files
File Type: txt build.txt (1.5 KB, 285 views)

Last edited by kennyminot; 06-15-2011 at 02:40 PM.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:34 PM   #14
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
I feel so bad for you, Vicinc!

Nothing I can do or suggest (way beyond my pay grade), but I'm monitoring this thread hoping you get your (your daughter's? ) PE up and running again with the help of these good people!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 02:38 PM   #15
emusan
lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyminot View Post
2. I've successfully pushed files to my eDGe using adb, but I think I initially had some problems getting my computer to recognize the device. I'm not sure if this is going to work, though, because you need to turn on USB debugging. As I said, the device doesn't really have a "recovery mode" -- at least, not in the sense that I know it (like my Optimus V with Clockwork Mod). I'd try flashing via sdcard and then if you're still having trouble, give the adb a shot. I'll post my build.prop in a few minutes. Just need to get my device hooked up . . .
he should have USB debugging enabled as its needed in order to run the z4root exploit... But whether adbd starts before his PE freezes up is my main concern with this procedure...