Already available on AliExpress. Looks like an improved version of the Mars:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002572320649.html

32GB Flash vs 16GB Mars
Internal speaker (Mars doesn't have it)
3200mAh battery vs 2800mAh Mars
USB-C vs USB-B Mars
Flashed design
Lighter (245g vs 260g)

The price is only 20$ higher (240$ vs 220$). Looks like a nice step this time, not like what they did with the P10 vs Alita...

Last edited by seby; 05-10-2021 at 10:59 AM.
seby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 07:35 AM   #2
Waddle
Waddle began at the beginning.

Device: Likebook Mars
Looks nice. If my Mars wasn't working so darn well I'd buy it.
Waddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2021, 09:54 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You can see all the info about the P78 at https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/H33122d0d...7fb5d7807U.jpg.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 10:20 AM   #4
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You can see all the info about the P78 at https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/H33122d0d...7fb5d7807U.jpg.
I ordered it here.
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 10:31 AM   #5
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 5
Lovely, it has light temperature adjustment. From the name of the device, I thought they'd go with the specs of the P10 and P6 which only have white LEDs.
I'm putting this on my wishlist. Will get it once the price goes down a little and it becomes available from a European seller.
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2021, 12:01 PM   #6
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyOne View Post
Lovely, it has light temperature adjustment. From the name of the device, I thought they'd go with the specs of the P10 and P6 which only have white LEDs.
I'm putting this on my wishlist. Will get it once the price goes down a little and it becomes available from a European seller.
Only the P6 is illuminated in one color, the P10 has cold / warm light.
And in this shop there is delivery from Spain (EU) - and I have had the best experiences with him.
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 01:39 PM   #7
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 5
Thanks, I didn't know that about the P10.
I'll still wait for first reviews and experiences. I'm not usually an early buyer.
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 02:56 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyOne View Post
It's available from Spain.
Old 05-21-2021, 11:27 AM   #9
Hyperduel
Mr. Dork
Hyperduel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis Gen 1 + Gen 3, Fire 10 (2019), Likebook Alita + P78
I just ordered the P78 via aliexpress, and it was shipped out to me today.

I actually own the Alita (which to me is much better in specs and MicroSD card slot than P10), but the P78 looks to be a great middle ground if you don't care for writing notes and just want that screen for reading manga (which 7.8 inches is the right size for a regular manga physical volume). Also...I felt bringing the Alita outside was a little too big for me. I do have Third Gen Kindle Oasis, but there are times I like to read junk on my Android apps for manga.

Thankfully P78 has MicroSD card slot, which I think is a big thing for folks like me who carry tons of data on their devices. Looks to be the better device in the Boyue line this time around than the P10 or P6 (unless you really need to take notes on the P10).
Hyperduel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 12:23 PM   #10
kndlewis
Connoisseur
kndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watch

Device: Current Favorite: Boox Leaf
Congrats! I got mine last Friday
So far it seems fine. The stock reader software is lacking but hey! it's Android so that's not really much of a problem.
It's the same form factor as the KA1, which I prefer and is only a touch heavier. In comparison, the Onyx Nova(n) is metal case and noticeably heavier and slippery to hold.

The screen lighting is very even and no problem to get the preferred level of lighting.
kndlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 02:09 PM   #11
joandr
Enthusiast
joandr began at the beginning.

Device: Likebook Mars, Onyx Boox Nova, EnergyReader ProHD (Boyue)
Please how is the whiteness of the screen with lights off ? Mars is a little grayish/yellowish (I'm not talking about the noticeable yellowing of the edges but of the whole screen) Mars is much less white than the Nova ? thank you.

Last edited by joandr; 05-23-2021 at 02:00 AM.
joandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 02:22 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kndlewis View Post
Congrats! I got mine last Friday
So far it seems fine. The stock reader software is lacking but hey! it's Android so that's not really much of a problem.
It's the same form factor as the KA1, which I prefer and is only a touch heavier. In comparison, the Onyx Nova(n) is metal case and noticeably heavier and slippery to hold.

The screen lighting is very even and no problem to get the preferred level of lighting.
No Reader is slippery to hold if you have it in a case.
Old 05-21-2021, 06:22 PM   #13
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
The P78 is heavier than the Mars - you have the weights switched.

Even though it's slightly smaller.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 04:55 AM   #14
kndlewis
Connoisseur
kndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
No Reader is slippery to hold if you have it in a case.
Then the weight difference is even more pronounced.
Old 05-22-2021, 05:05 AM   #15
kndlewis
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by joandr View Post
Please how is the whiteness of the screen ? Mars is a little grayish/yellowish (I'm not talking about the noticeable yellowing of the edges but of the whole screen) much less white than the Nova ? thank you.
With the P78 side-by-side with my Nova Pro and both set with white light only at about 1/2 brightness, my Nova looks slightly blue tint. At full brightness the Nova is brighter but IMHO that's too bright to read, YMMV.

I like to add a bit of yellow light to reduce to blue-ness of the light. With the white light off and the other color only on, the Nova is orange and the P78 is more yellow.

Also, the P78 seems to turn pages quicker than my Nova Pro. I did upgrade the Nova Pro to Android 9 but I don't think that changed the speed much.