Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Boyue

Notices

Old 10-13-2020, 09:44 PM   #1
PurpleFire
PurpleFire began at the beginning.

Device: Likebook Ares Note
Touchscreen barely working on Ares Note after accidentally flashing the Mars 8.0 upda

I haven't had the device long, got the names mixed up and didn't realise until after flashing that I'd downloaded the Mars update in error.

After finally managing to turn the device off (the power off dialogue needed to be pressed higher up on the screen), I was able to flash the Ares update using the Boyue guide. This all worked fine, but the touchscreen issue remained. Fortunately, the stylus still works (which wasn't the case with the Mars firmware) and so it can be navigated.

I installed a touchscreen testing app from the google play store and it looks like the alignment or something is messed up - drawing lines with my finger translates as light dotted lines appearing in parallel elsewhere on the screen, whereas drawing lines with the stylus looks normal. The home button at the bottom also does nothing.

From reading a thread on here (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=333006) where someone had done the same thing with their Atila, I think the only way to fix this would be to reflash a backup rom from another Ares. One of the posters there mentioned that old firmwares for this device were used for softbrick fixes, but I've been unable to find any download links.

I'd be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction or suggest a better course of action to fix this.

Many thanks.
PurpleFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 11:59 PM   #2
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
What happens after flashing the Ares Update?
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2020, 08:10 AM   #3
PurpleFire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
What happens after flashing the Ares Update?
That's the Boyue guide I mentioned.

It seems to install properly, but the issue with the touchscreen being unresponsive remains.

With the Mars update, the screen orientation was upside down and I couldn't get past the initial language select page because I couldn't press the "next" button in the bottom right.

With the Ares update applied after that, the screen was the proper way round and I had the same issue of not being able to advance by using touch controls. But, unlike with the Mars update, the stylus is working normally and I can navigate by using that to get through to the normal homepage.

From what I can tell, aside from this touchscreen issue, the Ares update has applied normally. All the apps look like they work and I can get onto my wifi network etc.
Old 10-14-2020, 08:21 AM   #4
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Try a factory reset.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 09:02 AM   #5
PurpleFire

I did a factory reset after the first time I installed the Ares update and again after trying a reinstall of that update.

The touchscreen issue persists whether it has just been installed or just been reset.
Advert
Old 10-14-2020, 12:49 PM   #6
raygj
Connoisseur
raygj is just one insight away from self-actualization.raygj is just one insight away from self-actualization.raygj is just one insight away from self-actualization.raygj is just one insight away from self-actualization.raygj is just one insight away from self-actualization.raygj is just one insight away from self-actualization.raygj is just one insight away from self-actualization.raygj is just one insight away from self-actualization.raygj is just one insight away from self-actualization.raygj is just one insight away from self-actualization.raygj is just one insight away from self-actualization.

Device: likebook mars
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleFire View Post
I did a factory reset after the first time I installed the Ares update and again after trying a reinstall of that update.

The touchscreen issue persists whether it has just been installed or just been reset.
try again Ares update.
start in recovery mode
Hold reset button. Press Power Button for approx. 3 seconds.
Screen starts flickering - let go reset button.
the first action option line 'reboot system now' will be 'highlighted'

plug a USB cable into your powered-up PC.
plug the other end of the USB cable into likebook
now the 'reboot to boot loader' line will be 'highlighted'
unplug USB cable from likebook
plug the USB cable into likebook
now the 'apply update from ADB' line will be 'highlighted'
now the 'apply update from SD card' line will be 'highlighted'
now the 'wipe data/factory reset' line will be 'highlighted'
now 'Wipe cache partition:' line will be 'highlighted'
(This is temporary system data largely related to app installations, and you can delete(wipe) it without losing any personal data or settings. Wiping the cache partition can solve a host of issues and you won’t lose any data or settings, so there’s no real risk involved. recommended as a fix for a lot of common Android problems).
press power-button to activate the 'highlighted' 'Wipe cache partition:' menu line.
if this does not help then do recovery mode again and select 'wipe data/factory reset' option and press power-button.
else try
on pc download the correct(not modified) update.zip file(must be correct version for your likebook model) to a SD card.
insert SD card in likebook
reboot to rescue mode
use usb cable to select/highlight 'Apply update from SD card'
press power-button
likebook should reboot and install the update.
raygj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 08:13 PM   #7
rvcjew
Addict
rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3-T80S-T80D-T103D-K78-Inkpalm 5-HiSense Touch-Hi Reader Pro-Palma
I looked at an old backup I have of the areas before the 8.1 update and also at the mars and alita and ares fw img extracted and I still have no idea what part is the thing flashing the Touch Panel alignment info into the devices, it would seem as if only the mars has this info added though and that's why once you flash that once in error the others don't seem to fix the issue on other devices. When flashing the ares FW it says it's erasing right?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FW ereaders.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	836.4 KB
ID:	182733  
rvcjew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 04:12 PM   #8
PurpleFire

@raygj

Reinstalling the update gave the same results, as did clearing both of those caches.

Note for anyone with an Ares who wants to repeat these steps: I also needed to hold the power & reset keys for around 9 seconds and it first came up with a different screen first (fastboot? it had the image of the Android robot lying on its back with its front panel open and the phrase "no command" below it) which I needed to press the reset key again to move past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raygj View Post
on pc download the correct(not modified) update.zip file(must be correct version for your likebook model) to a SD card.
I don't have a file by that name.

The update download (using the links from the same guide linked by ottischwenk in this thread) gives a regularly named zip which contains a file called "update-131.img"

It's been a while since I've played about with android roms (as I'm sure you've guessed by me not even thinking to do a backup before applying the Mars one lol), but I was under the impression that I couldn't just rename this as an update.zip has a specific format with a particular script.
Old 10-15-2020, 04:26 PM   #9
PurpleFire

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvcjew View Post
When flashing the ares FW it says it's erasing right?
Not before or during, but it does pop up a dark screen with a some sort of circle logo with "erasing" below it on first boot just before the language select screen loads up.

I've attached a screengrab of the RKDevTool output text if that helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RKDevTool output.PNG
Views:	337
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	182760  
Old 02-25-2021, 01:09 AM   #10
minhhq
minhhq began at the beginning.

Were you able to solve this?

Hi PurpleFire, have you been able to solve this issue? I just bought a used Ares Note and it has the exact problem. I'd appreciate it if you could share a solution. Thank you!
minhhq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 03:00 AM   #11
rvcjew
Addict
rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minhhq View Post
Hi PurpleFire, have you been able to solve this issue? I just bought a used Ares Note and it has the exact problem. I'd appreciate it if you could share a solution. Thank you!
Did it say it had the issue when you bought it? Maybe you bought Purple's lol /s.
Old 02-25-2021, 11:11 AM   #12
minhhq

Quote:
Did it say it had the issue when you bought it? Maybe you bought Purple's lol /s.
It didn't say. I bought it from ebay and it came with the dead language selection screen. I had to update it to android 8 and everything works fine but the capacitive touchscreen doesn't work. It didn't come with android 8 installed.
Old 02-25-2021, 01:45 PM   #13
rvcjew
Addict

Quote:
It didn't say. I bought it from ebay and it came with the dead language selection screen. I had to update it to android 8 and everything works fine but the capacitive touchscreen doesn't work. It didn't come with android 8 installed.
so it came with 6.1 but you could not select a language and do first setup? So then you went and did the update? Did you update with the correct firmware though or the Mars one? Your device it self might just be messed up hardware wise vs firmware wise and you should return it to the seller for a refund.

Last edited by rvcjew; 02-25-2021 at 01:55 PM.
Old 02-25-2021, 04:49 PM   #14
minhhq

Quote:
so it came with 6.1 but you could not select a language and do first setup? So then you went and did the update? Did you update with the correct firmware though or the Mars one? Your device it self might just be messed up hardware wise vs firmware wise and you should return it to the seller for a refund.
I couldn't get past the language selection screen so I couldn't tell which version it was, but based on what Purple Fire described I think the previous user might have similarly messed up with the update before selling. I've looked everywhere for a solution but it seems there isn't any. I'm returning this.
Old 02-25-2021, 05:07 PM   #15
rvcjew
Addict

Quote:
I couldn't get past the language selection screen so I couldn't tell which version it was, but based on what Purple Fire described I think the previous user might have similarly messed up with the update before selling. I've looked everywhere for a solution but it seems there isn't any. I'm returning this.
Yeah sounds best without knowing as each way is bad. If you want a new one I'd get off amazon or the alliexpress official likebook store. Amazon is best though.