Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Boyue

Notices

Old 08-21-2020, 12:28 AM   #1
ilyats
Connoisseur
ilyats doesn't litterilyats doesn't litter

Device: Boyue Likebook Muses T78D
Android 8.1 available for Mars.

Boyue announcedhttps://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...84952745068650 it on its Facebook page
ilyats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 02:44 AM   #2
ToasterRGB
ToasterRGB began at the beginning.

Device: Likebook Mars
I followed the directions and so far my Mars is stuck with a black screen after the update supposedly finished. �� It's still connected to my computer for about half an hour and I'm waiting to see if it suddenly springs to life.
ToasterRGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2020, 06:42 PM   #3
wanderson
wanderson began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Gen 11 & Likebook Mars
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToasterRGB View Post
... I'm waiting to see if it suddenly springs to life.
So, did your Mars recover? I'm strongly considering upgrading mine, but I'd like to backup the ROM first - it isn't obvious that the Rockchip tool can do backup the flash.
wanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 12:42 AM   #4
ToasterRGB

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderson View Post
So, did your Mars recover? I'm strongly considering upgrading mine, but I'd like to backup the ROM first - it isn't obvious that the Rockchip tool can do backup the flash.
Nope... I tried again and I think there's something wrong with the image file they uploaded because at the end of the install when your Mars reboots, it displays a message that says "erasing". I've used this same method to update other Android devices without any problems.
Old 08-24-2020, 08:24 AM   #5
ilyats
Connoisseur

Quote:
Nope... I tried again and I think there's something wrong with the image file they uploaded because at the end of the install when your Mars reboots, it displays a message that says "erasing". I've used this same method to update other Android devices without any problems.
Other people on Boyue FB page report having successfully installed it, so the file must be OK. Maybe something went wrong during your downloading the image, try to download it again. Or maybe your device has faulty storage or some other defect.
Advert
Old 08-24-2020, 11:51 AM   #6
Incanus
Incanus
Incanus doesn't litterIncanus doesn't litterIncanus doesn't litter

Device: Boyue Likebook T80D
Thumbs up Upgrading Likebook Mars Reader to Android 8.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyats View Post
Other people on Boyue FB page report having successfully installed it, so the file must be OK. Maybe something went wrong during your downloading the image, try to download it again. Or maybe your device has faulty storage or some other defect.
In my case I could upgrade my Likebook Mars Reader to Android 8.1 with no issues on the device part: all of the installed software was erased, of course, but I had my backups so no loss there... just a few restore chores, really.

It's too early to coment on the device battery behaviour and such, but so far:

• Stock reader: it does recognize and use side loaded fonts and does display bold, italic and such using only the regular ttf font file, but styles are displayed in a rather (how to put it) not so differentiated way compared with the regular style. Also, there is some problem using sideloaded freedict dictionaries.
  • KoReader: because of the above, I installed a side loaded v2020.03.2 of KoReader. I'm using it as my default reader software.
  • Calibre Companion: the v5.4.4.1 works but won't connect with wireless connection, even though it works with content server and cloud connections; I upgraded (using the installed Google Play app; works perfectly) to the current v5.4.4.19 and now all of its connection and wireless sync methods are working. This version also works with KoReader as the default reader software, which you can select as usual when you open an ebook in the CC library.

I'll post here if and when I get more stats or details on how this upgrade works on the Likebook Mars Reader.

Kind regards,

[INCANUS]

Last edited by Incanus; 08-24-2020 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Title missing
Incanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 02:40 PM   #7
DosSantos
DosSantos began at the beginning.

Updated to 8.1 last night and didn’t have any issues getting it to update. Going to have to use it for a week or so to give a fair appraisal, but first impressions were not great.

Initial thoughts/concerns:
-Battery: Made sure it was fully charged before doing update and after update (which took about half an hour) and an hour of reading, battery was drained to below 80%. Yes light was on for reading, but on prior firmware it would take a week of night reading (6 to 8 hours over the course of a week) to see the battery drain that much. The majority of the drain might have been during the updating process, so will have to see how it does over time.
-Stock reader: Cuts far more words in half than previous version. Previous version would so this some, but it’s much, much more noticeable now. What I mean is this paragraph on the stock reader could look like this depending on how big you size the font:
Cuts far more words in half than previous ver-
sion. Previous version would so this some, but
it’s much, much more noticeable now. What I m-
ean is this paragraph on the stock reader could lo-
ok like this depending on how big you size the font

It’s annoying to the point that I’m going to have to give another reading app a try. Will try KoReader tonight.

If battery drain continues, I might give reverting back to older firmware a try. Nothing immediately stood out to me as an improvement and so the real reason for updating to 8.1 would be for the added security of a newer OS, but for me I leave wifi off 98% of the time and never make any purchases directly via the eReader.
DosSantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 03:15 PM   #8
ToasterRGB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyats View Post

Then explain why everything works fine and then it says "erasing" at the end of the install?

Brave enough to try it yourself?
Old 08-24-2020, 04:04 PM   #9
DosSantos
DosSantos began at the beginning.

Tried it myself on mine and it worked for me.
Process was a bit different than most other devices I have experience side loading firmware on to, but went slow and followed the directions.

Somethings I found non-standard:
-Likebook Mars needed to be OFF.
-Had to press a paperclip into the device reset hole and keep it pressed until after the firmware image was given the go to start loading.
-Could only connect USB cable after paperclip was pressing the reset button

Other suggestions to try if you haven't already
- not in front of my home PC right now to look at the container that the firmware image was in when downloaded (zip or rar), but if rar, unrar using 7Zip if you used other software to unrar.
- try a different USB cable
- try loading an older firmware image
DosSantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 05:20 PM   #10
noboyue
noboyue began at the beginning.

Device: likebook Mars T80D
Upgrade to 8.1 failed and device seems to be bricked

Today I did try the update and it started out as described.
It downloaded the image and showed "Download firmware success". It then did a verify step which was not shown in the upgrade instructions and then it showed the "Reset Device Start".
But then the screen remained black.
After about 15 minutes I did a reset and tried to restore my backup but it seems that the device ID is gone.
The tool sees the likebook as adb device but I cannot switch to loader mode.
Whe I try to read the flash ID or Info I always get a "match device type failed" error.
I then tried to re-install the update.zip via SD card from a link tagged as "Likebook Mars T80D BYRead-V2.2.0-2020011014" which I found here in the forum, but it also failed.
The error message is: This package is for "T80D" devices; this is a ""

Is there a way to get the ID back into place and bring my reader back to life?
noboyue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 09:36 PM   #11
ilyats
Connoisseur

Quote:
Then explain why everything works fine and then it says "erasing" at the end of the install?

Brave enough to try it yourself?
I don't have Mars, only Muses and Plus, otherwise I would.
Old 08-25-2020, 08:00 AM   #12
MiGP
MiGP began at the beginning.

Device: Boyue Likebook Mars T80D
I bought my Mars in February and I'm very happy with it so far.
Until I upgraded my device to 8.1 today. I used the instructions, I flashed ver. 2020081915, which should be from last Wednesday as far as I can see. The only problem which I'm experiencing is that my device became very unstable, it boots for several minutes, it randomly displays that System UI is not responding, and something doesn't look right at all. Besides, something is eating the battery very fast.
Any advice how to proceed? Probably I must flash the device once again, but I don't see how the result can be different if I do one and same thing. Anyone experiencing the same problem?
MiGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 09:45 AM   #13
2rl
2rl can extract oil from cheese2rl can extract oil from cheese2rl can extract oil from cheese2rl can extract oil from cheese2rl can extract oil from cheese2rl can extract oil from cheese2rl can extract oil from cheese2rl can extract oil from cheese2rl can extract oil from cheese

Hi! I ordered a Likebook Mars and I'm expecting it in a few days, in the meantime. I've explored different options for rooting it and this is what I've done:

1) Download the new Android 8.1 update package
2) Unpack the update-10225.img file with imgRePackerRK
3) Copy the boot image to your Android phone
4) Download and install the latest Magisk Manager in your Android phone
5) Press Install → Install → Select and Patch a File, and select your stock boot image file
6) Magisk Manager will patch the image, and store it in [Internal Storage]/Download/magisk_patched.img
7) Copy the patched image from your device to your PC. If you can’t find it via MTP, you can pull the file with ADB:
adb pull /sdcard/Download/magisk_patched.img
8) Rename it to boot.img. Find the folder where you originally copied it from (update-10225.img.dump) and replace it with the unpatched boot.img
9) Repack the update-10225.img with imgRePackerRK and follow the update procedure as explained by Likebook

Instructions on how to use imgRePackerRK and dowload https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho....php?t=2257331

It's a simple process and should work reliably. If you get stuck in a bootloop you can redo the update process with original unpatched update-10225.img to get back up and running.

Once you have root access you can flash NanoDroid-microG-22.6.91.20200821 through the magisk app and you'll get rid of the battery sucking spying google apps while mantaining a fully functional system.

Another interesting option once rooted is to monitor any suspicious app sending data in the background. Now you can debloat/disable unwanted apps and have full control of your system.
2rl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 04:16 PM   #14
fduniho
Addict
fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, DX, PW4, PW5, Scribe; Likebook Mars; Fire HD 8; iPad
I have read the instructions and downloaded the other files. The files are:
  1. Likebook Mars 8.1 Upgrade Instruction.zip
  2. DriverAssitant_v4.5.zip
  3. AndroidTool_Release_v2.58(English).rar
  4. T80D-Mars-Android8.1-FW.rar

The instructions mention rooting. Since the instructions were probably written by a Chinese person or translated from Chinese, I wanted to ask if anyone has checked that the device is actually rooted after the update.
fduniho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 04:21 PM   #15
fduniho
Addict
fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, DX, PW4, PW5, Scribe; Likebook Mars; Fire HD 8; iPad
Since I recently had to change the SD card on my Likebook Mars, which involved reinstalling everything, I wanted to mention one thing I learned. If you're using Moon+ Reader, or probably any other ereader app that is not tied to a cloud, keep track of where you left off in the books you're reading. Although I was able to get back the books I was reading with Moon+ Reader, I lost my place in them. Don't let that happen to you when you update.
fduniho is offline   Reply With Quote