Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 02-15-2021, 06:36 PM   #556
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawneedj View Post
I'm using Firefox 85.0.2 for my browser, would that make any difference?
It has to be a Microsoft web browser, Edge or IE.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 08:45 PM   #557
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
OI'm using Firefox 85.0.2 for my browser, would that make any difference?
Yes, it does. I said "the Microsoft browser" for a reason.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2021, 12:41 AM   #558
shawneedj
shawneedj began at the beginning.

Device: none
Well then,

I haven't used a Microsoft browser for years, generally when I do a new install of Windows, I go into "turn Windows features on or off" and turn off Internet
Explorer and use Firefox. I don't even have Edge, I'm using a version of Windows 10 which doesn't come with it.

I guess that wasn't a problem with earlier versions of Calibre or the plugins on Windows 7 because they always seemed to work using Firefox

So I turned on IE and went to the Goodreads and Fantastic Fiction websites and then tried the plugins and they worked.
I then turned IE back off just to see if the plugins would still work and they do, if they stop working in the future, I'll turn IE back on.

So thank you for the help, I really appreciate it

DJ
shawneedj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 01:41 AM   #559
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Well then,

I haven't used a Microsoft browser for years, generally when I do a new install of Windows, I go into "turn Windows features on or off" and turn off Internet
Explorer and use Firefox. I don't even have Edge, I'm using a version of Windows 10 which doesn't come with it.

I guess that wasn't a problem with earlier versions of Calibre or the plugins on Windows 7 because they always seemed to work using Firefox

So I turned on IE and went to the Goodreads and Fantastic Fiction websites and then tried the plugins and they worked.
I then turned IE back off just to see if the plugins would still work and they do, if they stop working in the future, I'll turn IE back on.
The point is that calibre and the plugin are using a certificate authority store that is part of the OS. The MS browsers use this and will update it when there are changes on the sites. The other browsers, Firefox, Chrome and anything else, use there own certificate authorities and maintain them in a separate location.
Old 02-16-2021, 05:34 AM   #560
shawneedj
shawneedj began at the beginning.

Okay, I understand at least as much as I can being pretty much ignorant of programming or the inner workings of how an OS or browser works.

At least I got the plugins to work, so I'm happy.

Again, thanks for the help and info, and the work you put in on on these.
shawneedj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2021, 11:27 AM   #561
Rida
Rida began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Cool

DoctorOhh, this was and is incredibly kind of you and that json file is great.

I'm just wondering if you would be kind enough to post your latest version please? I'd be so grateful as it would help me greatly before I set about tagging everything.

You mentioned all those years ago that you were running a modified version of the json file created by Huisie. I'd love to get my hands on your modded version.

Many thanks whether or not you share your latest version. I'm just going through the thread now and may find it in there somewhere but 38 pages is going to take me a while.

And thanks, kiwidude, for all your plugins and general awesomeness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
I used this plugin and went through my 7300 books to update my tags. I started with around 953 tags and now that I finished I am sitting at 208 tags.

I attached my goodreads.json file with the mappings in place. I wish I had a more extensive mapping when I was doing my update to begin with. For the most part I limited tags to 4 per book, sometimes I would trim back to 1 or 2 and for Non-fiction books I would often allow up to 8.

The only thing I don't have mapped is Contemporary, Modern, Adult Fiction and Adult. If a book pops up as erotica then the adult tag is also added to that book.

All of the mappings in the file work. The good news with this json file is you don't have to hunt around to see what is there and how to make it work and you can easily remove tag mappings, but since it is easy to limit tags to a particular number, leaving everything in place works great without gaining too many tags.

Update: If you choose to use this file you must do the following.
1. Exit calibre
2. Unzip this file, you now have a goodreads.json file
3. Find the plugins directory under your calibre configuration directory.
4. Rename your existing goodreads.json file to goodreads.json.org in case you feel the need to go back to it.
5. Place the new goodreads.json file in the plugins directory.
6. Start calibre

Now you can go to Preferences - Metadata download - select goodreads - click Configure selected source to see what is currently mapped for goodreads metadata downloadable tags.

Update 2: I am now running a modified version of the json file created by Huisie. This json file can be found here. It starts with about 800 goodreads tags mapped. The Goodreads json file attached to this post has about 250 Goodreads tags mapped. Either is a good starting point.
Rida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 05:38 PM   #562
Freakeao
Connoisseur
Freakeao began at the beginning.

I haven't seen a setting for this in the UI, but wondering if there is a way to do it.

The plugin seems to import author names with initials with a space after them.
Quote:
J. R. R. Tolkien
as example. The same author is displayed on the GR website with no spaces after the periods. Can I set the plugin to import author names with no spaces for initials?
Quote:
J.R.R. Tolkien
Freakeao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 10:22 PM   #563
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakeao View Post
I haven't seen a setting for this in the UI, but wondering if there is a way to do it.

The plugin seems to import author names with initials with a space after them. as example. The same author is displayed on the GR website with no spaces after the periods. Can I set the plugin to import author names with no spaces for initials?
The plugin is not doing that. It is done by common calibre code when merging or updating the metadata. It handles all initials with dots after them in this way. There is no way to configure the behaviour.
Old 08-01-2021, 12:36 PM   #564
13xforever
Connoisseur
13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H₂O & iPad Pro 2020 12.9"
As of today (August 1) I get 401 for any account management request. So it seems like they finally killed the good portion of the APIs.
13xforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 08:29 PM   #565
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13xforever View Post
As of today (August 1) I get 401 for any account management request. So it seems like they finally killed the good portion of the APIs.
The metadata source plugin does not use the API. It is the Goodreads Sync plugin that does. But, at the least, updating my reading progress just worked, so some of the API is still there.
Old 08-02-2021, 02:50 AM   #566
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13xforever View Post
I've used it yesterday (Goodreads Sync) and everything has worked for me: download data, upload books and upload reading progress. So, I guess there is another problem.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 12:44 PM   #567
13xforever
Connoisseur
13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H₂O & iPad Pro 2020 12.9"
Hmm very weird, I had to re-authorize the plugin for sync to start working again. Never had any issues in years.
13xforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 10:22 AM   #568
JohnnyBook
Groupie
JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.

Device: K3 W/3G (Fixed screen!) & Paperwhite Wifi
Noticed today that the Metadata downloaded from Goodreads, includes ALOT of extra info.

Its not stopping after the description, and including the entire page.
JohnnyBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 10:58 AM   #569
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBook View Post
Noticed today that the Metadata downloaded from Goodreads, includes ALOT of extra info.

I tried a couple, and it is only grabbing the description. Could you give us a book /author, so we can see what you are seeing?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 09:58 PM   #570
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBook View Post

I just tried a few books with no issues. As @DoctorOhh suggested, can you post some examples? The links to the page for the books is best. Or post the log from the metadata download.

Tags
goodreads, metadata