Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-21-2021, 08:17 AM   #31
ArthurianLegends
Connoisseur
ArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kindle Touch (4rth Gen)
Pretty cool that now i can even see my sample books that I don't own as screensaver covers. Looking at Peake's Gormenghast cover right now.....much better than the standard screensavers, although I do miss the Book of Kells screensaver from the older kindles.
ArthurianLegends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 09:43 AM   #32
gaseous
gaseous began at the beginning.

Device: 10th Gen Kindle, 7th Gen Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle 5
I got a completely reworked 'you read further on another device' pop up yesterday at bedtime on the new firmware.

was too tired to photograph it but will next time. I really liked it. more options, the ability to go back after saying 'yes, go there' if it turns out wrong and much better reability then before.
gaseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 10:42 AM   #33
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaseous View Post
I got a completely reworked 'you read further on another device' pop up yesterday at bedtime on the new firmware.

was too tired to photograph it but will next time. I really liked it. more options, the ability to go back after saying 'yes, go there' if it turns out wrong and much better reability then before.
Why photograph when you can take a screenshot?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 11:46 AM   #34
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I think I may have noticed a change with 5.13.6: when reading a book and tapping to reveal options, the label for ‘go to’ has changed from ‘GO TO’ (upper case) to ‘Go To’ (mixed case). It’s the same for my Kindle with the UI in Russian.

We have waited years, years! for this feature.
It looks like there has been some flip-flopping, waffling, or whatever on this. One of my Voyages is running 5.6.1 and has ‘Go To’ (mixed case).
Old 05-21-2021, 01:43 PM   #35
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaseous View Post

I saw that feature prior to this update. And the ‘GO TO’ -> ‘Go to’ change apparently was there before also.

So the only changes we can point to are JHowell’s information about logging screensaver issues, etc.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 03:14 PM   #36
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I think I may have noticed a change with 5.13.6: when reading a book and tapping to reveal options, the label for ‘go to’ has changed from ‘GO TO’ (upper case) to ‘Go To’ (mixed case). It’s the same for my Kindle with the UI in Russian.

We have waited years, years! for this feature.
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
It looks like there has been some flip-flopping, waffling, or whatever on this. One of my Voyages is running 5.6.1 and has ‘Go To’ (mixed case).
Quote:
I saw that feature prior to this update. And the ‘OG TO’ -> ‘Go to’ change apparently was there before also.

So the only changes we can point to are JHowell’s information about logging screensaver issues, etc.
Another Voyage running 5.8.11 has ‘GO TO’ and an Oasis 2 running 5.9.2 has ‘Go To’ , so I'm sticking wth flip-flop. I've got a PW3 running 5.9.6.1 and yet another Voyage running 5.10.3 but they are powered down and I don't want to put them through a boot cycle just to check on this. My Oasis 3 running 5.12.4 has ‘GO TO’ , so it is still an open question whether the revision back to ‘Go To’ was in 5.13.6 or not.

Dipping into ancient history, K2 running 2.5.6 has 'Go to...' (perhaps most correct of all). My KDXG running 2.5.5 and K4NT running 4.1.3 both also have 'Go to...', so it was a few years before instability set in.

Last edited by j.p.s; 05-21-2021 at 03:21 PM.
Old 05-22-2021, 10:17 AM   #37
Braid
Groupie
Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2nd), Kobo Aura One, Kindle Voyage, Kobo H2O (1st)
Quote:
I take it you use Vocabulary Builder, but you want to be able to see definition without highlighting them (because that adds them to VB list)? [...]
Thanks for the response! But, I don't think you've understood what I want; I'll try to explain.
  • While reading a book, if you encounter a word you don't know the meaning of, you can look it up using the dictionary function.
  • But, what if you have a word in your head that you want to look up, but the word is not on the page you are reading? If you are using a Kobo, you can just select the "open dictionary" option from the menu, and look up the word. On Kindle, this option is also available, but only if you have already looked up a word that is on the page. If you have not looked up a word in the dictionary, the '3 dot' menu is greyed out. This means that you are forced to look up a random word, which results in a build-up of random useless words in your Vocabulary Builder.

This may sound like an unlikely scenario. In my case, it is not; I quite frequently have to use the dictionary to look up a word that is not on the page. Sometimes I am reading a scanned PDF page whose Optical Character Recognition hasn't picked up all the words correctly. Quite often I am looking up a Latin phrase that is fiddly to select, especially if it is split between two lines of text. Other times, I access the dictionary while writing an essay. So, that is why I like accessing the dictionary without looking up a word that is on the page. Now, I don't feel I should need to argue this point: the OED is a massive book, and an excellent resource. It seems pretty straightforward that it would be useful to access it directly, without first having to look up some random word.
Braid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 10:28 AM   #38
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braid View Post
I quite frequently have to use the dictionary to look up a word that is not on the page
You can look up a word using the search box. Click "Search", type a word, click "Search everywhere for...", and in the results pick "Dictionary and Wikipedia".
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 06:38 PM   #39
Braid
Groupie
Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
You can look up a word using the search box. Click "Search", type a word, click "Search everywhere for...", and in the results pick "Dictionary and Wikipedia".
Good point, thanks! Although, sometimes I'd rather not quit out of the book I am currently reading. For example, sometimes I am reading a poorly OCR'd PDF and want to look up a word from it. Or, I'm trying to look up a Latin phrase and it's fiddly to select it properly and so I want to just type it into the dictionary manually. So, I still think it would be better to have the option in books. Still, thanks for the info.
Old 05-23-2021, 09:08 AM   #40
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braid View Post
Good point, thanks! Although, sometimes I'd rather not quit out of the book I am currently reading. For example, sometimes I am reading a poorly OCR'd PDF and want to look up a word from it. Or, I'm trying to look up a Latin phrase and it's fiddly to select it properly and so I want to just type it into the dictionary manually. So, I still think it would be better to have the option in books. Still, thanks for the info.
You don't have to quit out of the book you're reading. While you're in the book just touch the search bar, type in the word you want to look up, and touch "Search Everywhere for "yourword"". The bottom set of results is "Dictionary and Wikipedia". Touch that, and you will get your definition.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 12:39 PM   #41
Braid
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
You don't have to quit out of the book you're reading. While you're in the book just touch the search bar, type in the word you want to look up, and touch "Search Everywhere for "yourword"". The bottom set of results is "Dictionary and Wikipedia". Touch that, and you will get your definition.
I missed that. Apologies to jhowell for misreading their post.

(I still want the menu option, even though you have stripped my argument of some of its force.)
Old 05-26-2021, 04:34 AM   #42
hollowpoint
Groupie
hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Mini, Kindle PW5, Libra 2
13.5.6 update fails for me. "The update was not successful. Update error: 4."

Never seen that one before. Pinged support, but their only ideas were to retry what I had done, and then to deregister/re-register. Same result.
hollowpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 09:34 AM   #43
eilon
Enthusiast
eilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura about

Device: Oasis 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowpoint View Post

Never seen that one before. Pinged support, but their only ideas were to retry what I had done, and then to deregister/re-register. Same result.
Maybe Reset the device from the "Device Options" menu and then try to update the device.
eilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 10:41 AM   #44
trekk
Terraner
trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Aura One, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2 ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowpoint View Post

I suggest the following:
  • Double check if you downloaded the correct update for your device.
  • Check the md5sum, maybe the file got corrupted.
  • Try another usb cable.
trekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 11:14 AM   #45
hollowpoint
Groupie
hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Mini, Kindle PW5, Libra 2
The reset got it, thx.
hollowpoint is offline   Reply With Quote